Turn signal sounds like door ajar alert

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
New truck next week?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Recoil1

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
New truck next week?
Possibly. My father is retired now but he was an expert tech for Ford for decades before retiring. We made a few phone calls the other day and were able to track down the local Field Service Engineer for Ford. Luckily he remembers working with my dad. And as it turns out he is assigned to look at my truck tomorrow.

Neither Ford corporate nor the dealership could provide me this info for some reason. It’s been frustrating as hell trying to get info out of them and them rarely knowing what to do next. They’ve mostly just pointed fingers at each other, leaving me in the middle with nothing. So I raised hell and started emailing anyone I could and finally things are starting to happen. The engineer asked for a couple days to let him take a good look at it, so that’s where I’m at. If by EOD Tuesday we don’t have an idea what else to do I’ll file for a lemon law claim.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I would recommend filing at the 30 day window, regardless of the promises made, if not resolved. It will give you standing and strength with the issue. You have suffered in this process and Ford should make it right.

OP
OP
Recoil1

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FSE was out with the truck yesterday and discovered a short in one of the wiring harnesses that goes between multiple control modules in the engine compartment. They did an overlay with a new harness yesterday and have since put almost 20 miles on it with test drives and the issues have not yet returned. I'm not holding my breath just yet, but finally progress has been made.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Man what a PITA! You wouldn't really think this would be happening on a new mass produced truck on a global scale but shit happens and occasionally things fall through the cracks. I feel for ya and it sucks when this happens on a new vehicle. Sounds like brilliant English work to me! :) If it makes you feel any better...when I took delivery of my Lotus Evora ($100k handmade boutique car) within less than a year I had to have the parking sensor array/module, trans cables, A/C compressor, window regulator and master cylinder replaced to the tune of over $15k in warranty work. Sir Gumfry must have had a bad hangover that day for his night out at the pub Sunday.

It's just sad when you purchase something new and have problems like this when all you want to do is enjoy your new truck. Glad they got it fixed for you and stood behind the product and set you straight.

OP
OP
Recoil1

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man what a PITA! You wouldn't really think this would be happening on a new mass produced truck on a global scale but shit happens and occasionally things fall through the cracks. I feel for ya and it sucks when this happens on a new vehicle. Sounds like brilliant English work to me! :) If it makes you feel any better...when I took delivery of my Lotus Evora ($100k handmade boutique car) within less than a year I had to have the parking sensor array/module, trans cables, A/C compressor, window regulator and master cylinder replaced to the tune of over $15k in warranty work. Sir Gumfry must have had a bad hangover that day for his night out at the pub Sunday.

It's just sad when you purchase something new and have problems like this when all you want to do is enjoy your new truck. Glad they got it fixed for you and stood behind the product and set you straight.
Man, that does suck. For a car at that price I'd have raised more hell thank I did now. They're doing more test driving today, but everything looks good at this point. I may get to bring her home today.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
FSE was out with the truck yesterday and discovered a short in one of the wiring harnesses that goes between multiple control modules in the engine compartment. They did an overlay with a new harness yesterday and have since put almost 20 miles on it with test drives and the issues have not yet returned. I'm not holding my breath just yet, but finally progress has been made.
Hi Victor,

Glad they finally found something! FSEs have a hard life as they address so many problems. All wiring harnesses go through a circuit check at the manufacturers plant, which flags most problem harnesses. Likely the short happened after manufacture.

Back story on a wiring harness manufacturer. Year was 1981. I was on loan from Truck to the WHQ (World Headquarters) to interface with California Air Resources Board (CARB). We got notice from CARB that the 200cid inline Six Cylinder vehicles were failing emissions testing. So I had to fly out there to see what the problem was...Investigating, I found a couple emission devices had no wiring connections Puzzled, I headed to a Ford Dealer who had prior model vehicle on his lot and verified these thermoelectic switches were hooked up. So the wiring supplier had shipped harnesses with missing circuits. How could that be as a the harness checker should have caught the fact circuits were missing? Investigation revealed that the harness checker did flag there was a problem, but since it showed every harness as a problem, the harness manufacturer decided the harness checker was bad and sent the defective harnesses...Sheesh! Needless to say there was a recall to replace the harness, the cost of which the harness manufacturer bore, but the Blue Oval took the hit in the press...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Recoil1

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Victor,

Glad they finally found something! FSEs have a hard life as they address so many problems. All wiring harnesses go through a circuit check at the manufacturers plant, which flags most problem harnesses. Likely the short happened after manufacture.

Back story on a wiring harness manufacturer. Year was 1981. I was on loan from Truck to the WHQ (World Headquarters) to interface with California Air Resources Board (CARB). We got notice from CARB that the 200cid inline Six Cylinder vehicles were failing emissions testing. So I had to fly out there to see what the problem was...Investigating, I found a couple emission devices had no wiring connections Puzzled, I headed to a Ford Dealer who had prior model vehicle on his lot and verified these thermoelectic switches were hooked up. So the wiring supplier had shipped harnesses with missing circuits. How could that be as a the harness checker should have caught the fact circuits were missing? Investigation revealed that the harness checker did flag there was a problem, but since it showed every harness as a problem, the harness manufacturer decided the harness checker was bad and sent the defective harnesses...Sheesh! Needless to say there was a recall to replace the harness, the cost of which the harness manufacturer bore, but the Blue Oval took the hit in the press...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I got the call this morning that it is ready to go, and in fact the short was the cause of all the issues. It was in the harness for the modules under the fuse/relay box under the hood. After they completed the overlay not a single issue has occurred and all codes have cleared. If mods could please mark this topic as solved.

Phil, I must say I really enjoy your backstories and the information and knowledge you posses. It's a rare thing these days and makes me a little nostalgic when reading them. Takes me back to when I worked for Ford and when my father was a tech for Ford, and we used to see all the different things that would come in. I have to wonder if you two may have crossed paths over the years, given he was frequently on the hotline with warranty work or assisting Engineers at the dealership. I remember him having to fly out to Michigan for training on a semi-regular basis too. Funny thing is, when the issues with my truck first started, he called it that it would be a simple short or something of the nature.

petenam22

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger MY19
Occupation
Service
It has just happened to my ford ranger. It goes in on Thursday for them to look at it. They have never heard of it before. I had a flat battery and after starting it everything reset, even the odometer
Sponsored