Squeaking squealing sound above 30mph

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
2020 XLT 4x4. 2500 miles. Just noticed this squealing sound variable with speed starting above 30mph. Engine RPM or brake application makes no difference. Shift into neutral or into 4H also no difference. I have also jacked up vehicle and spun tires and haven’t heard anything. I’m stumped. Will be calling dealership, but was curious if anyone has any ideas. Hopefully you can hear it in the video. Driving me nuts.
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Driveshaft. Gotta be. Either bad joint or centerbearing. Or front driveshaft because there is not a disconnect on these trucks (i.e. its always turning).

My thought process:
No changes with rpm or gear selection means drivetrain. Next guess is brakes but harmonic/speed is off and you said no changes with brake application. So next is driveshaft, axles dont turn that fast at that speed.

OP
OP

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
That’s pretty much my thinking. Don’t know what else it could be.

K.Hz

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX2
I believe we might have found a problem here. Check out my post...

OP
OP

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
I believe we might have found a problem here. Check out my post...
Does sound similar to yours. Does yours change with the speed of the engine, or just the speed you’re rolling? If you put it in neutral and rev it while going down the road, does it affect the sound?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

MudvilleMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
2020 XLT 4x4. 2500 miles. Just noticed this squealing sound variable with speed starting above 30mph. Engine RPM or brake application makes no difference. Shift into neutral or into 4H also no difference. I have also jacked up vehicle and spun tires and haven’t heard anything. I’m stumped. Will be calling dealership, but was curious if anyone has any ideas. Hopefully you can hear it in the video. Driving me nuts.
Ryan,
I had made an earlier post regarding a very similar issue with my 2020 Ranger. As mentioned in that post, my dealer diagnosed it as a failed center bearing and ordered a new driveshaft assembly with a new center bearing. Unfortunately, this week will mark two months since those parts were ordered and the noise on the truck got so bad that it's been parked now for the majority of that time. Ford seems to be facing a severe shortage of these driveline parts with the most recent estimate of being off of backorder on December 17th. Hope you have better luck than I have had. Mike.

OP
OP

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
Ryan,
I had made an earlier post regarding a very similar issue with my 2020 Ranger. As mentioned in that post, my dealer diagnosed it as a failed center bearing and ordered a new driveshaft assembly with a new center bearing. Unfortunately, this week will mark two months since those parts were ordered and the noise on the truck got so bad that it's been parked now for the majority of that time. Ford seems to be facing a severe shortage of these driveline parts with the most recent estimate of being off of backorder on December 17th. Hope you have better luck than I have had. Mike.
Hi Mike,

Wow, I had not seen the other thread, thanks. My problem is almost certainly the same issue with the center bearing. How disappointing. I haven’t taken it to the dealer yet, but at least now I know what to expect.

OP
OP

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
UPDATE

I finally took the Ranger to the dealership yesterday, and they diagnosed the noise as the driveshaft carrier bearing, as was mentioned above. They ordered a replacement from Ford, which arrived today believe it or not, and the truck was ready to pick up by this evening. Noise gone.

Now my only concern was if the problem was just a defective bearing, or if there is a driveshaft balance or alignment type issue that caused the bearing to fail, possibly causing this to happen again. We’ll see I guess. But it’s fixed for now.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE

I finally took the Ranger to the dealership yesterday, and they diagnosed the noise as the driveshaft carrier bearing, as was mentioned above. They ordered a replacement from Ford, which arrived today believe it or not, and the truck was ready to pick up by this evening. Noise gone.

Now my only concern was if the problem was just a defective bearing, or if there is a driveshaft balance or alignment type issue that caused the bearing to fail, possibly causing this to happen again. We’ll see I guess. But it’s fixed for now.
Hi Ryan,

There seemed to be a bearing quality issue at Dana, the maker of the driveshaft. Who ever is their supplier sent a bad batch it appears... You should be okay.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
Hi Ryan,

There seemed to be a bearing quality issue at Dana, the maker of the driveshaft. Who ever is their supplier sent a bad batch it appears... You should be okay.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, hopefully that’s all it was. Back to enjoying the Ranger!

TheBadger

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 STX Crew 4×4
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
UPDATE

Well then, off to the dealership I go!

Last edited:
OP
OP

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
Well then, off to the dealership I go!
Wow, yeah that sounds exactly like mine did. So far so good, 7000 miles on the new bearing and still ok. How many miles on your Ranger?

TheBadger

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 STX Crew 4×4
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
Wow, yeah that sounds exactly like mine did. So far so good, 7000 miles on the new bearing and still ok. How many miles on your Ranger?
Coming up on 18,000 miles, 8 months, 6 or 7 off-road excursions. But of course I can't get it to squeal now that the day has warmed up. Maybe it'll go away on its own. LOL

DuckDCoy

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Awesome, my truck just started doing this. Anything above 30 mph…
Sponsored