Ranger shopping

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
No !!! Must resist !! :)
I sort of really want the 6ft bed and I don't think the tremor package is available on the supercab so I guess it's not an option for me.
Correct no tremor option on the supercab.
Sponsored

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Supercab (on order)
I missed the boat, when I did go for the test drive a month or two ago the financing rate was 0.99% but I wasn't fully decided then. I think if the dealer wasn't starting pricing at MSRP I would have been more inclined to talk some more. Right now it's at 2.99 in my area, so I was thinking I would just waiting for 0.99 to come back but I wonder if that rate would be applicable to factory orders? The incentive we have right now is $1500 off on factory orders (which is good) but ruling that out, getting 0.99 would be a greater savings overall.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Ya the 302A is a nice option, but very expensive. I'd love to have the heated seats but it's hard to justify it at that cost.
Yup, I bought with the December discount + some other discount so it was a good deal, I would never have bought it for full price.

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know if the current generation will be the model for 2022 and the next gen is a 2023 model ?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Having followed several threads here on ranger5g, I currently only have 2 concerns: the "Fuel in oil" issue (I went through every page/post in the thread) . . .

For the fuel in oil issue, well I don’t think it’s every single Ranger out there but with everything that has been tried to fix the problem on trucks that do have it, it’s a bit worrying that no one has pin-pointed the issue and determined a proper fix. I really hope Ford will find a solution.
Not sure if you saw it, but I ran a survey to try to figure out some of the contributing factors for fuel in the oil. Over 90 forum members participated, of which about half had some indication of fuel in the oil. I still need to finish analyzing the data (work has been absolutely nuts for the past month, and I had a family emergency thrown in just for fun, so sorry everyone for the delay), but here's my thoughts on the analyses I did so far, combined with what I've been able to find out talking to engineers (non-automotive), digging through literature, and searching about online:
-Turbocharged direct-injection engines are susceptible to letting some fuel get into the crankcase. It's just the nature of the beast. The Ranger is probably a little more susceptible than some other vehicles due to the really effective cooling system that helps enable the high towing rating, and possibly also due to how it's tuned.
-Short trips really exacerbate this. This showed up really strongly in the survey responses. This is probably due to a combination of (i) the engine running really rich for the first few minutes after startup (thus, more unburned fuel around to get into the oil) and (ii) the engine oil not getting hot enough to boil off that fuel (thus, less fuel getting out of the oil).
-Folks who use their trucks for more than just commuting seem to have less fuel dilution on average. I'm guessing it's because they work their trucks enough to get the engine a little warmer periodically.
-The lubrication system will operate just fine with some fuel in the oil, even though it is a sub-optimal condition. How much fuel? I dunno, and Ford is keeping mum on this. I did read an SAE paper on Ecoboost development at one point that referenced 5% fuel dilution as being acceptable for the tests they were doing, so I personally use this number as the ballpark max, but keep in mind that this was in testing and not a real-world application.
-Some Rangers have had seriously abnormal fuel dilution. Most, but not all, of these have been improved by replacement of the HPFP and/or injectors. It's really concerning to me that there have been a couple of unfixable Rangers, but these have been super rare.

Bottom line: If you get a Ranger, you've got a pretty good chance of being able to detect fuel in the oil, especially if you use it primarily for a short commute. Does this present a substantial problem? Short-term, definitely not. Long-term is a bigger question, but Ford doesn't seem to think so (or at least, they won't acknowledge thinking so).

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
To take it one step further, I had planned to get the bottom of the rockers coated with bed liner when I had my bed done, but was cost prohibitive.
What I plan to do before winter is to buy a quart of bed liner coating, about $19.00. tape up below the door where it can't be seen, and brush on the liner coating over the plugs I installed, and down to cover the pinch weld. Will/should never have to worry about anything getting thru that into the rocker void. $30 bucks = piece of mind and better than anything the factory could have done.
Dupli-Colour and EZ-Liner sell aerosol cans of bed-liner that are only $15/can even in Canada. They advertise 4-6 cans for a pick-up box, so at worst 1 can per side for rockers. It's apparently as good as the brush on, but easier to do, and easier to have a nicer final product.

Good luck, photos if you do it, I'm planning the same.... eventually

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I missed the boat, when I did go for the test drive a month or two ago the financing rate was 0.99% but I wasn't fully decided then. I think if the dealer wasn't starting pricing at MSRP I would have been more inclined to talk some more. Right now it's at 2.99 in my area, so I was thinking I would just waiting for 0.99 to come back but I wonder if that rate would be applicable to factory orders? The incentive we have right now is $1500 off on factory orders (which is good) but ruling that out, getting 0.99 would be a greater savings overall.
Let me help you to negotiate the absolute best price possible, as long as you are not in a rush for the truck. Based on your posts, I don't think you are.

1) Figure out the exact truck you want with the exact options, using the build and price feature on Ford's website. Copy the web link to the truck with your exact options.

2) Calculate the invoice price of the truck using the information from this post.

3) Go to this page, log on using code MC405 and calculate what the price of the truck would be using X plan.

4) Find 5 Ford Dealers that are somewhat close to you, but not your closest dealer. Go to their website, and contact them by message. You will be sending all 5 dealers the exact same message. Type something up, and then copy and paste it to save some time. Your message should be something like this:

Hello. I am interested in custom ordering a new Ford Ranger.
Here is the link to the exact options and trim I am looking at: (use the link you copied from step 1)
It has an MSRP of $xx,xxx. I am X-plan eligible, which has a price of $xx,xxx but I am not locked into using x-plan. I am just looking to get the best price possible. You are not the closest dealer to me, but I would be willing to make the drive to receive a better deal, if you are able to beat that price.
Let me know. Thank you!
5) Wait for a response from the Dealers. Hopefully, at least 1 or 2 give you a response with better pricing than what you started with. If so, pit them against each other. For instance, let's say Dealer A comes back with X plan minus $500 and dealer B says X plan minus $1000, contact Dealer A and say something like:

Dealer B sent me an offer for X-plan minus $1000, but I have not yet placed the order if you are willing to negotiate.
(Keep all contact through email, or phone/text. Do not physically go to the dealer at this point)

6) Rinse and repeat as necessary. You can even contact dealers that are even farther away if you want/need.

7) Once you have what you believe to be the best price you are going to negotiate, contact your closest dealer. The one you have not contacted prior to this point. Send them a message like you did in step 4, but word slightly differently, like this:

Hello. I am interested in custom ordering a new Ford Ranger.​
Here is the link to the exact options and trim I am looking at: (use the link you copied from step 1)​
I have an offer from Dealer X (be sure to mention them by name) for $xx,xxx price, but you are closer to me and I would prefer not to make the drive if possible. Would you be able to beat their offer?​
If they will meet, or beat the offer, order from them. If not, order from the dealer that gave you the best offer.

There you have it. The number 1 key is to pit dealers against each other. Then, it is like a reverse auction, with dealers bidding for your purchase. Now, they are lowering their price to get you to come to them, as opposed to being physically at a dealer where they have very little incentive to give you rock bottom pricing.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if you saw it, but I ran a survey to try to figure out some of the contributing factors for fuel in the oil. Over 90 forum members participated, of which about half had some indication of fuel in the oil. I still need to finish analyzing the data (work has been absolutely nuts for the past month, and I had a family emergency thrown in just for fun, so sorry everyone for the delay), but here's my thoughts on the analyses I did so far, combined with what I've been able to find out talking to engineers (non-automotive), digging through literature, and searching about online:
-Turbocharged direct-injection engines are susceptible to letting some fuel get into the crankcase. It's just the nature of the beast. The Ranger is probably a little more susceptible than some other vehicles due to the really effective cooling system that helps enable the high towing rating, and possibly also due to how it's tuned.
-Short trips really exacerbate this. This showed up really strongly in the survey responses. This is probably due to a combination of (i) the engine running really rich for the first few minutes after startup (thus, more unburned fuel around to get into the oil) and (ii) the engine oil not getting hot enough to boil off that fuel (thus, less fuel getting out of the oil).
-Folks who use their trucks for more than just commuting seem to have less fuel dilution on average. I'm guessing it's because they work their trucks enough to get the engine a little warmer periodically.
-The lubrication system will operate just fine with some fuel in the oil, even though it is a sub-optimal condition. How much fuel? I dunno, and Ford is keeping mum on this. I did read an SAE paper on Ecoboost development at one point that referenced 5% fuel dilution as being acceptable for the tests they were doing, so I personally use this number as the ballpark max, but keep in mind that this was in testing and not a real-world application.
-Some Rangers have had seriously abnormal fuel dilution. Most, but not all, of these have been improved by replacement of the HPFP and/or injectors. It's really concerning to me that there have been a couple of unfixable Rangers, but these have been super rare.

Bottom line: If you get a Ranger, you've got a pretty good chance of being able to detect fuel in the oil, especially if you use it primarily for a short commute. Does this present a substantial problem? Short-term, definitely not. Long-term is a bigger question, but Ford doesn't seem to think so (or at least, they won't acknowledge thinking so).
I sure did see this, and thank you for putting it together. It really provides some interesting info and hopefully Ford have taken notice (surely they watch forums and social media). Unfortunately my normal commute is very short to the train station (under normal circumstances). Also, I'm normally a very conservative driver and it seems like these trucks like to work and run hard. I may have to change my driving habits (but officer, you don't understand - I'm maintaining my truck!) :)

I too am concerned about the unfixable Rangers, and as you have remarked it seems to be a super rare occurrence. Because it is so rare (to the best of our knowledge), Ford should do what's necessary, even if that means something like an engine swap (for example). I'm guessing these anomaly's are budgeted/accounted for anyway in their finances.

What I would really like is to hear what Ford has to say about the matter. I haven't gotten a response from my email inquiry.

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me help you to negotiate the absolute best price possible, as long as you are not in a rush for the truck. Based on your posts, I don't think you are.

1) Figure out the exact truck you want with the exact options, using the build and price feature on Ford's website. Copy the web link to the truck with your exact options.

2) Calculate the invoice price of the truck using the information from this post.

3) Go to this page, log on using code MC405 and calculate what the price of the truck would be using X plan.

4) Find 5 Ford Dealers that are somewhat close to you, but not your closest dealer. Go to their website, and contact them by message. You will be sending all 5 dealers the exact same message. Type something up, and then copy and paste it to save some time. Your message should be something like this:

Hello. I am interested in custom ordering a new Ford Ranger.
Here is the link to the exact options and trim I am looking at: (use the link you copied from step 1)
It has an MSRP of $xx,xxx. I am X-plan eligible, which has a price of $xx,xxx but I am not locked into using x-plan. I am just looking to get the best price possible. You are not the closest dealer to me, but I would be willing to make the drive to receive a better deal, if you are able to beat that price.
Let me know. Thank you!
5) Wait for a response from the Dealers. Hopefully, at least 1 or 2 give you a response with better pricing than what you started with. If so, pit them against each other. For instance, let's say Dealer A comes back with X plan minus $500 and dealer B says X plan minus $1000, contact Dealer A and say something like:

Dealer B sent me an offer for X-plan minus $1000, but I have not yet placed the order if you are willing to negotiate.
(Keep all contact through email, or phone/text at this point. Do not physically go to the dealer at this point)

6) Rinse and repeat as necessary. You can even contact dealers that are even farther away if you want/need.

7) Once you have what you believe to be the best price you are going to negotiate, contact your closest dealer. The one you have not contacted prior to this point. Send them a message like you did in step 4, but word slightly differently, like this:

Hello. I am interested in custom ordering a new Ford Ranger.​
Here is the link to the exact options and trim I am looking at: (use the link you copied from step 1)​
I have an offer from Dealer X (be sure to mention them by name) for $xx,xxx price, but you are closer to me and I would prefer not to make the drive if possible. Would you be able to beat their offer?​
If they will meet, or beat the offer, order from them. If not, order from the dealer that gave you the best offer.

There you have it. The number 1 key is to pit dealers against each other. Then, it is like a reverse auction, with dealers bidding for your purchase. Now, they are lowering their price to get you to come to them, as opposed to being physically at a dealer where they have very little incentive to give you rock bottom pricing.

Good Luck!
Thank you very much for this ! I've been thinking about what I'm going to do/how to start negotiations (it's not easy to do most of the time)

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Thank you very much for this ! I've been thinking about what I'm going to do/how to start negotiations (it's not easy to do most of the time)
You're welcome. The key is not to set foot in the dealership until after a deal is made.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
It really provides some interesting info and hopefully Ford have taken notice (surely they watch forums and social media).
I have no doubt that Ford checks in on this forum regularly. (Hi Mr/Ms Ford Representative checking in on this post. I hope you're having a great day!) However, I don't think my data is of much use to them, as despite their radio silence they must have looked into this potential issue much more thoroughly than I have.

(but officer, you don't understand - I'm maintaining my truck!) :)
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I haven't gotten a response to the questions I emailed Ford Canada. I tried calling the 1-800 number and spoke to a rep but this was way too technical, she could not answer and said to direct those types of questions to my dealer. I said the dealer wasn't aware and couldn't help. She said maybe another dealer?

I don't know what to say, companies love to ask for feedback (I was asked to rate my call experience), they send surveys and stuff and I often answer too, but the email that went to a dead end no response...not good. I'm gonna try to go further, maybe I need to try Ford USA...

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I sure did see this, and thank you for putting it together. It really provides some interesting info and hopefully Ford have taken notice (surely they watch forums and social media). Unfortunately my normal commute is very short to the train station (under normal circumstances). Also, I'm normally a very conservative driver and it seems like these trucks like to work and run hard. I may have to change my driving habits (but officer, you don't understand - I'm maintaining my truck!) :)

I too am concerned about the unfixable Rangers, and as you have remarked it seems to be a super rare occurrence. Because it is so rare (to the best of our knowledge), Ford should do what's necessary, even if that means something like an engine swap (for example). I'm guessing these anomaly's are budgeted/accounted for anyway in their finances.

What I would really like is to hear what Ford has to say about the matter. I haven't gotten a response from my email inquiry.
Their response if any will be, the next Gen Ranger will be powered by a 2.7L twin turbo. The 2.3 will no longer be the power plant of choice to address these issues! Thanks for driving a Ford‼?

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Well, I haven't gotten a response to the questions I emailed Ford Canada. I tried calling the 1-800 number and spoke to a rep but this was way too technical, she could not answer and said to direct those types of questions to my dealer. I said the dealer wasn't aware and couldn't help. She said maybe another dealer?

I don't know what to say, companies love to ask for feedback (I was asked to rate my call experience), they send surveys and stuff and I often answer too, but the email that went to a dead end no response...not good. I'm gonna try to go further, maybe I need to try Ford USA...
You might try contacting Ford through Twitter. When I had a problem in the first week I had my Ranger, they were very responsive.

Reactions: slm

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I’m not sure what kind of answer you expect, but Ford’s not going to provide any meaningful answer on the so-called “fuel in oil” question. There isn’t a TSB on it, so there is nothing to tell you. I bought my truck with full knowledge of that “issue” and I wasnt concerned about it then and I’m not concerned about it now, because I routinely maintain my truck.
Sponsored