First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Student / FedEx
I'm a full time student, but I work full time so I'm contributing to my 401k and they're paying for school. My next truck will be a 250 or maybe a f150 with the coyote but I kinda want a diesel to tow my ranger to races once it's fully caged.

It is a great time to sell I'll be selling my wife's 2017 f150 with a coyote with 100,000 miles no problems for somewhere between 25k and 30k.
Sounds like you got a lot more on your plate than I do. Right now I just have a schedule that fits work with school and so far, so good. Donā€™t make anything crazy. Just keeps me busy and letā€™s me go out on the weekends. The bad part is I donā€™t get to attach very much cool stuff onto my pickup :(
Sponsored

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Sounds like you got a lot more on your plate than I do. Right now I just have a schedule that fits work with school and so far, so good. Donā€™t make anything crazy. Just keeps me busy and letā€™s me go out on the weekends. The bad part is I donā€™t get to attach very much cool stuff onto my pickup :(
Dude anyone could see from your post on this thread the relationship you have with your dad and that's what it's all about. I think that's what kinda makes it a no brainer to sell the truck and order a new one cuz you can wait it out and by using your dad's truck that's cause for more bonding moments lol.

I have done a lot to my truck but it is freaking stressful working in a manufacturing environment like yesterday I clocked 16 hours programming a CMM and then engineering hw is so time consuming.

I realized adulthood is always busy so I just gotta get used to it and be dependable. Being a good man is hard work and full of decisions and at the end of the day only you can make them. I vote to sell! Then once you're done with school you can add stuff (if you want) to your fairly new truck.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Being an insurance agent for over 26 years I have seen a lot. A hail damaged car has diminished value by definition, it will never go away EVEN if fixed because State Farm will report the payment on a ACL report which could feed into Carfax. So there are really two good options here.

Keep the truck for a long time and try to fix it via Paintless dent repair (if paint is fine, which on Ranger roofs is not a given even without hail) for less than 7K and invest the difference.

Trade it in as you mentioned and start over.

Most starving students donā€™t own a 27k vehicle outright, so obviously, you have your act together. Therefore trading up in your case is not a reach. Just keep the truck for a long time.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I actually live in Lubbock where flooding is an issue but I park in a 5 story parking garage, my truck got hailed on during a 2 day trip back home to north Fort Worth. You nailed that one.
Would assume you're at Texas Tech?

Jim - Class of '74

OP
OP
LanoTX

LanoTX

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Student / FedEx
Dude anyone could see from your post on this thread the relationship you have with your dad and that's what it's all about. I think that's what kinda makes it a no brainer to sell the truck and order a new one cuz you can wait it out and by using your dad's truck that's cause for more bonding moments lol.

I have done a lot to my truck but it is freaking stressful working in a manufacturing environment like yesterday I clocked 16 hours programming a CMM and then engineering hw is so time consuming.

I realized adulthood is always busy so I just gotta get used to it and be dependable. Being a good man is hard work and full of decisions and at the end of the day only you can make them. I vote to sell! Then once you're done with school you can add stuff (if you want) to your fairly new truck.
Love the encouragement man, I started out college playing baseball and it took me a couple years to realize that I just wanted to focus on school and get out of here. The time and energy we put out becomes more valuable as we get older.

OP
OP
LanoTX

LanoTX

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Student / FedEx
Here's another opinions, for what it's worth:

It seems you're a pretty intelligent young man; that's evidenced by several things: you've articulated your position and questions well, you've sought out the advice of family and a like-minded community, and you've responded appropriately.

My opinion is based on that - I'm not going to tell you to focus on school because you're clearly doing that; money management doesn't appear to be an issue with you either. So it boils down to the truck. You're getting a helluva deal from the dealership on a truck that WILL NOT be sold down the road for that price, ever. Even without a 7k down payment your payment will not likely even approach the payment you previously had and have already payed off. You'll be getting a nicer truck that will hold it's value; the piece of mind of another warranty; a reset on needing tires, mileage and wear on the truck, etc.; and when you pay it off, you'll be building your credit up.

I, personally, wouldn't bat an eye on that offer - especially if I didn't have to worry about a vehicle in the interim - I'm not sure any of us could have created a better scenario for you to be in. Go order what you want, keep doing well in school, and enjoy the next several months of saving money and driving your father's loaner.
Since Iā€™ve got all the info on here about delivery times, I started looking more aggressively online for what I'm looking for and found 2 XLā€™s with the 101a package, rear locker in Arizona. 9 hour drive from me, only problem is they both have vinyl floors but I can get over that. I think Iā€™m about to sell this local dealership my truck and buy a one way plane ticket to drive a truck back.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Since Iā€™ve got all the info on here about shipping times, I started looking more aggressively online for what I'm looking for and found 2 XLā€™s with the 101a package, rear locker in Arizona. 9 hour drive from me, only problem is they both have vinyl floors but I can get over that. I think Iā€™m about to sell this local dealership my truck and buy a one way plane ticket to drive a truck back.
Which dealer (s) are they at? if they're close enough to me I could go check them out for you. I wouldn't worry so much about the vinyl flooring as it's a lot easier to keep clean. Just dampen (see what I did there :)) a sponge and wipe them out. I'm specifically getting these on my Bronco for ease of cleaning.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Since Iā€™ve got all the info on here about shipping times, I started looking more aggressively online for what I'm looking for and found 2 XLā€™s with the 101a package, rear locker in Arizona. 9 hour drive from me, only problem is they both have vinyl floors but I can get over that. I think Iā€™m about to sell this local dealership my truck and buy a one way plane ticket to drive a truck back.
I was actually pretty happy to see vinyl floors when I bought mine. Had vinyl in my old ranger and loved how easy it was to clean out my muddy messes.

OP
OP
LanoTX

LanoTX

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Student / FedEx
I was actually pretty happy to see vinyl floors when I bought mine. Had vinyl in my old ranger and loved how easy it was to clean out my muddy messes.
Which dealer (s) are they at? if they're close enough to me I could go check them out for you. I wouldn't worry so much about the vinyl flooring as it's a lot easier to keep clean. Just dampen (see what I did there :)) a sponge and wipe them out. I'm specifically getting these on my Bronco for ease of cleaning.
Are the vinyl floors a problem with the road noise at all? Not too concerned about it, just asking questions. And one of them was in Camp Verde at Jones Ford, but it got scrubbed from their website some time between yesterday and now, so Iā€™m assuming it sold. The other one is in Bullhead City at Anderson Ford, no pictures of it on the site yet, I was just looking at options and called in on it, a salesman there was even kind enough to make a video of the truck and sent it over when I didnā€™t even ask him to.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Are the vinyl floors a problem with the road noise at all? Not too concerned about it, just asking questions. And one of them was in Camp Verde at Jones Ford, but it got scrubbed from their website some time between yesterday and now, so Iā€™m assuming it sold. The other one is in Bullhead City at Anderson Ford, no pictures of it on the site yet, I was just looking at options and called in on it, a salesman there was even kind enough to make a video of the truck and sent it over when I didnā€™t even ask him to.
I don't have any issues with road noise, though I also just run stock tires so I suppose if you switch to something more aggressive it could become an issue.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Bullhead City is almost 4 hrs from here so a little to far to go check it out for you. I would try and make a decision quick as you can see there's not much inventory and what's left gets scooped up quick. If you're really interested in it I would see if you can give them a refundable deposit so they can hold it while you drive out here to check it out.

Count Desmondo

First Name
Desmondo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Supercab
I read that there are rolling shutdowns at the Ranger/Bronco plant throughout July and August, anyone have anymore insight into this?

OP
OP
LanoTX

LanoTX

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Student / FedEx
I read that there are rolling shutdowns at the Ranger/Bronco plant throughout July and August, anyone have anymore insight into this?
I read somewhere on here that a lot of 2021 unbuilt orders would likely get changed to a 2022 model year and extended delivery date.

Count Desmondo

First Name
Desmondo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Supercab
I read somewhere on here that a lot of 2021 unbuilt orders would likely get changed to a 2022 model year and extended delivery date.
Oh my...last I heard was a delivery date of the week of August 12th for mine...we will see...
Sponsored