OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Supercab (on order)
I’m not sure what kind of answer you expect, but Ford’s not going to provide any meaningful answer on the so-called “fuel in oil” question. There isn’t a TSB on it, so there is nothing to tell you. I bought my truck with full knowledge of that “issue” and I wasnt concerned about it then and I’m not concerned about it now, because I routinely maintain my truck.
I would like something very similar to what you're saying: "We acknowledge your concern, there have been investigations and no TSB is required at the moment and we encourage you to follow the recommended oil change intervals."

I'm guessing that's the proper routine maintenance in this case and is what my strategy would be (I change the oil in much smaller intervals usually). I think everyone would appreciate that kind of statement.
Sponsored

SmokeyTBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab
Hi Slm,

I'm also in Canada (BC) and, after six months of the same type of research and test driving that you mentioned, I ordered the model you are considering (2021, XLT, SuperCab, 302A). I picked it up in late January, so I've been driving it for a little over six months now.
I live in a big city environment but like back-country exploring and fishing here in BC, so the Ranger has as many miles on logging roads and FSR roads as paved city driving. In all aspects, I'm really happy with the truck and I'm actually liking it even better as time goes on.
If you have any questions re anything about the Ranger, or dealers, servicing, etc. feel free to send me a message.
Cheers -- and Stay Safe!
Smokey

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Slm,

I'm also in Canada (BC) and, after six months of the same type of research and test driving that you mentioned, I ordered the model you are considering (2021, XLT, SuperCab, 302A). I picked it up in late January, so I've been driving it for a little over six months now.
I live in a big city environment but like back-country exploring and fishing here in BC, so the Ranger has as many miles on logging roads and FSR roads as paved city driving. In all aspects, I'm really happy with the truck and I'm actually liking it even better as time goes on.
If you have any questions re anything about the Ranger, or dealers, servicing, etc. feel free to send me a message.
Cheers -- and Stay Safe!
Smokey
Hi Smokey,

Thanks for responding to my thread - it sounds like you're using the truck exactly how I plan on using it! I was wondering if the back window can be opened while sitting in the driver seat by just reaching back or do you have to be outside the truck with the small doors open in order to reach it?

I'm not sure if you saw the thread regarding the 2021 models having a series of open holes in the rocker panels (from the manufacturing process) that are plugged in the prior model years (2019/2020)? It's bugging me as my gut reaction is that will trap any salt/ice/crushed stone/grime during the winter and cause premature corrosion. I've been able to verify 4 different trucks here in QC and they all have the open holes. Maybe it's intentional on Ford's part, but I just don't know and it's been impossible to get an answer from Ford or from the dealers here. Besides, why would the prior years be plugged? If it is intentional, does that mean the other model years should remove them?

I know I can take care of it myself by rust proofing and plugging them, but it would be nice to have the official word from Ford saying "we've started leaving them open for _____ reason, our recommendation is to leave them open (or whatever the recommendation is)"

Tomorrow I plan on calling dealers and asking their technicians, not the sales people.

Best regards,
Steven

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been trying to use the technique posted by Bludrok earlier in this thread, contacting several dealers through their web sites/email address or sent using the "build and price/request a quote" function on the Ford Canada web site but the dealers (sneaky as they are) don't reply with a price. I think they have dedicated staff to handle internet inquiries, who's sole purpose is to get you to come in for price negotiations.

I did speak with a sales rep over the phone and got a price...but it's not like having something in print. He couldn't tell me what the exact x-plan deduction was, or if it's applied before taxes or after. He had to price the truck without it, then price with it and calculate the difference between the two. He made it sound like "the computer doesn't tell me the amount, it just shows the pricing for me".

I guess it will take more work (phone calls) for now.

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to update my thread - I've placed the order for my Ranger a few days ago. Ford had a $1500 bonus on factory orders for the ranger and I decided to take advantage of that.

The best price I could get was X-plan pricing (I'm eligible for it).

Having said that, I had gotten a report from unhaggle.com for the Canadian invoice price and went in with an offer (slightly below x-plan, at the time I didn't think I was eligible). I know the offer was fair, and the dealer was making money on the invoice price as well as the holdback amount and any kind of floor plan incentives Ford gives the dealer, but the sales manager refused it.

I very politely explained all the research I had done, the info I had gotten from unhaggle.com and the help I got here on ranger5g.com and also that this really was a no brainer for the dealer - I mean I walked in and gave them a profitable offer with basically no effort on their part and I handed it over on a silver platter :)

So his reasoning was the lack of inventory and all the "chip" issues going on right now. He basically agreed the offer wasn't awful and in normal times it would probably have been accepted, but the refusal for those reasons makes absolutely no sense to me. You have no inventory, so you can't sell anything and I'm proposing a quick and easy sale that will make you money, and you say no??? I should have asked for the owner of the dealership and proposed it to him ! :)

in the end, I accepted because of the Ford factory order incentive (which was ending Aug 31) and because the sales manager worked on getting my eligibility for the x-plan sorted out, but I was so close to just thanking them for their time and leaving. Getting a fair offer in times when you can't sell anything because your lot is empty (or more empty than usual, there is some stock) and then refusing it...well what am I supposed to think? You don't like me? Was it something I said?

Sorry, a bit of a rant there but let's just say the car buying process can be frustrating.

Cheers

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just to update my thread - I've placed the order for my Ranger a few days ago. Ford had a $1500 bonus on factory orders for the ranger and I decided to take advantage of that.

The best price I could get was X-plan pricing (I'm eligible for it).

Having said that, I had gotten a report from unhaggle.com for the Canadian invoice price and went in with an offer (slightly below x-plan, at the time I didn't think I was eligible). I know the offer was fair, and the dealer was making money on the invoice price as well as the holdback amount and any kind of floor plan incentives Ford gives the dealer, but the sales manager refused it.

I very politely explained all the research I had done, the info I had gotten from unhaggle.com and the help I got here on ranger5g.com and also that this really was a no brainer for the dealer - I mean I walked in and gave them a profitable offer with basically no effort on their part and I handed it over on a silver platter :)

So his reasoning was the lack of inventory and all the "chip" issues going on right now. He basically agreed the offer wasn't awful and in normal times it would probably have been accepted, but the refusal for those reasons makes absolutely no sense to me. You have no inventory, so you can't sell anything and I'm proposing a quick and easy sale that will make you money, and you say no??? I should have asked for the owner of the dealership and proposed it to him ! :)

in the end, I accepted because of the Ford factory order incentive (which was ending Aug 31) and because the sales manager worked on getting my eligibility for the x-plan sorted out, but I was so close to just thanking them for their time and leaving. Getting a fair offer in times when you can't sell anything because your lot is empty (or more empty than usual, there is some stock) and then refusing it...well what am I supposed to think? You don't like me? Was it something I said?

Sorry, a bit of a rant there but let's just say the car buying process can be frustrating.

Cheers
from how I am understanding this you still are buying from them so their turning down your offer ended up working for them

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
from how I am understanding this you still are buying from them so their turning down your offer ended up working for them
Yes you're right, but I really tried hard to beat x-plan and couldn't. I am still buying because I was down to the wire regarding the factory order incentive (no longer available now). I took that into consideration (technically with it the price is better than x-plan) and the fact that they helped me get the x-plan pricing, other dealers I visited didn't even try. In fact, one of the dealers I had called assured me he'd call me back in 1 hour, and never did. A day or two later, I went to the dealership and spoke with with the salesman (was almost closing time). He told me he'd call back tomorrow, and never did!

I guess the point for the post is to add to the information out there what the pricing and buying experiences are right now (and a bit for me to rant :))

45kmike5

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew Cab
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Oh for sure. I test drove an FX4 first, and was happy but felt the ride was off. Then I test drove a tremor and boy o boy the difference was night and day.
Tremor:
I like the look
I like the stance yet with the tires it did lokkk like a life sized stomper toy from when lm was a young lad.
I own a 19 Ranger XLT Crew now

the stance and leveling are nice
The firm responsive suspension was much improved

l do like the improved Map or acceleration too

the steps could be a shin problem
This Tremor package was on a lower level XLT so the fit and finish seemed off to me.
a marked improvement the red accents were cool touches too.

it’s better but l didn’t like everything you know?

45kmike5

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew Cab
Occupation
Engineering Tech
No !!! Must resist !! :)
I sort of really want the 6ft bed and I don't think the tremor package is available on the supercab so I guess it's not an option for me.
Crew cab only you’re correct on that

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Yes you're right, but I really tried hard to beat x-plan and couldn't. I am still buying because I was down to the wire regarding the factory order incentive (no longer available now). I took that into consideration (technically with it the price is better than x-plan) and the fact that they helped me get the x-plan pricing, other dealers I visited didn't even try. In fact, one of the dealers I had called assured me he'd call me back in 1 hour, and never did. A day or two later, I went to the dealership and spoke with with the salesman (was almost closing time). He told me he'd call back tomorrow, and never did!

I guess the point for the post is to add to the information out there what the pricing and buying experiences are right now (and a bit for me to rant :))
I know this is a late response. I haven't been very active recently, but they know they can most likely get you to the higher price because you took time to drive to their dealership.

See my post above for tactics on how to negotiate a price better than x-plan.

I understand you already purchased, but for your next purchase, or for others.

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this is a late response. I haven't been very active recently, but they know they can most likely get you to the higher price because you took time to drive to their dealership.

See my post above for tactics on how to negotiate a price better than x-plan.

I understand you already purchased, but for your next purchase, or for others.
Hi, thanks for the response. I tried my best (and used similar techniques) to get better than x-plan pricing, I offered about $400 lower than the xplan and the sales manager basically admitted in normal times they would have taken it, but because of all the things going on and stock levels and all that he refused. I couldn't believe it, I walked in and dropped a sale in their laps with a fair price, willing to wait for the truck and he was saying no. The only reason I stuck it out was because the dealer helped with getting the partner code for xplan, I wasn't able to get it at work.

Since then though a lot has changed, the dealer was apparently working on getting my original price on a 2022...they never called me back. It's been at least two weeks. I haven't had good luck with the Ford dealers around me, they just aren't interested in selling me a truck lol! I also tried calling Ford Canada customer service and it was really bad. One agent tried to tell me I lost one opportunity (incentive of $1500 on factory order) but luckily there was still one available ($1000 factory order bonus) and that a positive person would see things on the brighter side. Wow.

I'll be cancelling the order and getting my deposit back. Not sure what I'll do but I am looking at other brands.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
the dealer was apparently working on getting my original price on a 2022...they never called me back.
The dealer claimed to be working on getting the original price.

I also tried calling Ford Canada customer service and it was really bad. One agent tried to tell me I lost one opportunity (incentive of $1500 on factory order) but luckily there was still one available ($1000 factory order bonus) and that a positive person would see things on the brighter side. Wow.
In my head, I'm seeing this going about like this: "Yes, I understand that you're disappointed that we aren't getting you the truck you originally ordered. But remember, you're also loosing another $500; I see that as a win!"

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealer claimed to be working on getting the original price.

In my head, I'm seeing this going about like this: "Yes, I understand that you're disappointed that we aren't getting you the truck you originally ordered. But remember, you're also loosing another $500; I see that as a win!"
Exactly ! :)

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Hi, thanks for the response. I tried my best (and used similar techniques) to get better than x-plan pricing, I offered about $400 lower than the xplan and the sales manager basically admitted in normal times they would have taken it, but because of all the things going on and stock levels and all that he refused. I couldn't believe it, I walked in and dropped a sale in their laps with a fair price, willing to wait for the truck and he was saying no. The only reason I stuck it out was because the dealer helped with getting the partner code for xplan, I wasn't able to get it at work.

Since then though a lot has changed, the dealer was apparently working on getting my original price on a 2022...they never called me back. It's been at least two weeks. I haven't had good luck with the Ford dealers around me, they just aren't interested in selling me a truck lol! I also tried calling Ford Canada customer service and it was really bad. One agent tried to tell me I lost one opportunity (incentive of $1500 on factory order) but luckily there was still one available ($1000 factory order bonus) and that a positive person would see things on the brighter side. Wow.

I'll be cancelling the order and getting my deposit back. Not sure what I'll do but I am looking at other brands.
The only way to get the price down is to pit the dealers against each other.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
The only way to get the price down is to pit the dealers against each other.
Buy mine, '19 4x4 with 21k on it. Adult owned zero mechanical or cosmetic defects. Took a job nearly a year ago that came with the use of a company car so my ranger is basically a garage queen sitting under a cover now. Reach out directly for more details.
Sponsored