Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Thanks for the replies everyone !

Regarding the holes in the rocker panels, I agree that we could order the plugs and fix ourselves (with some rust proofing sprayed in there first), and if push comes to shove I would do that, but it just seems wrong, like in an abnormal production sense (at least to me). I would like to hear what Ford’s pronouncement on the matter is, for reassurance. I guess I’m also secretly hoping my email will be news to them and for warning them of the issue, they’ll in turn give me a free ranger :)

That’s very interesting of the 90% testing target, and is a great stat they achieved (hope I’m understanding it correctly). I love hearing about the engineering behind a product, thanks for including the original post.

Regarding the oil in fuel issue from what I’ve read, to a certain extent, it’s a byproduct of the direct injection engine design and might be exacerbated by the turbo in an EcoBoost engine. Please correct me if I’m wrong (I often am). In the thread though, it sure sounds like the fuel level is too high. Makes sense that at a certain point, the dilution starts to reduce the oil viscosity to the point where the engine is not being lubricated enough. Perhaps the oil change interval makes this a non issue, which is fine, but I’d love to hear Ford tell us that.

I started looking for methods/techniques to reduce the carbon build up behind the valves (also a result of direct injection), and read better gas and using full synthetic oil will help but we should expect a maintenance (somewhere around 100k miles) to de-coke the valves, such as using the walnut shell blast method. Not sure if that’s true or not, but if it is, I’m ok with that - if it provides another 100k trouble free miles! :)
You’re waaaay overthinking this. So, you’ll fit in great here. :like:

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
OP, these Rangers are very well thought out in testing. Is every truck perfect? Of course not. Nothing that has 1,000's of parts is perfect, but that is why they warranty vehicles. Phil explained the testing process that Ford uses and it sold me. My truck has been great. I would buy another one if this one was totaled.

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Supercab (on order)
You’re waaaay overthinking this. So, you’ll fit in great here. :like:
I've been that a million times but I can't help myself ! :)

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP, these Rangers are very well thought out in testing. Is every truck perfect? Of course not. Nothing that has 1,000's of parts is perfect, but that is why they warranty vehicles. Phil explained the testing process that Ford uses and it sold me. My truck has been great. I would buy another one if this one was totaled.
Yup, I agree - I really like the design. My wife and I take walks around the neighbourhood and I purposefully steer the walk towards a house not too far away where there's a ranger owner, just to check out the truck. It's nice, a silver supercrew.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Here is Phil’s post on 90th percentile. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-few-questions-and-concerns.13206/post-259051

In the beginning was concerned about fuel in oil. Sent out my first change for testing and although I thought I smelled gas was well within normal for a new engine breaking in. After about 4K miles did a few WOT to redline and set the rings. Has been great ever since. I am adding a catch can to buy a little more insurance. If I can pull water and muck before it gets to intake all the better.

I’m real happy with my choices after researching just like you. I’m sure you will be to! Welcome to the 5G family ?

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Hi Everyone,

I’m not currently a Ranger owner, but have been shopping mid-size trucks since forever. I like to do a very in-depth research when shopping, and besides, looking at trucks is always fun! I currently own a 2010 Jeep Patriot, and regardless of the bad reviews it has gotten, it hasn’t been too bad. The AWD system it has does great in the snow, it has been pretty reliable, never been stranded or anything like that, but I did have to do some suspension work at around 75000km, which was too early in my opinion (it currently has 157000km and my kids are sharing it now) and changed the computer more recently (ouch, was expensive!)

After many many many (a whole lot !) of spec comparisons, spreadsheet cost analysis, trips to various dealers (Toyota, GM, Ford), the Ranger (supercab, fx4, maybe with 302A pkg) is at the top of the list. My needs are very modest, pulling an aluminum fishing boat and getting out there in the outdoors, the Ranger should be more than capable enough! My plan is to keep this truck as long as possible, so long term reliability is my priority.

Having followed several threads here on ranger5g, I currently only have 2 concerns: the "Fuel in oil" issue (I went through every page/post in the thread) and the recent "Holes in the rocker panel" issue seen on 2021 models. I visited 2 different Ford dealers yesterday, one had three 2020 models (demo vehicles) and the other had four 2021 models (supercrew and supercab) - the 2021 all had the holes in the rocker panels, 2020 models were plugged. I can’t see how this isn’t something other than an issue on the production line. Those holes in the rocker panels will for sure getting filled up with snow/ice/road salt in the winter.

For the fuel in oil issue, well I don’t think it’s every single Ranger out there but with everything that has been tried to fix the problem on trucks that do have it, it’s a bit worrying that no one has pin-pointed the issue and determined a proper fix. I really hope Ford will find a solution.

Having said that, I have emailed Ford Canada with my concerns with these two issues specifically and I’m waiting to hear back from them. I also brought up the removal of certain features that were part of the 2019 model year (wiper de-icer, 6 vs 4 tie-downs, etc.) in the form of “feedback”, and how (in my opinion) it’s not a good strategy if they’re looking to increase market share in the mid size truck market.

Hopefully everything will work out and I’ll order a Ranger in the near future.
Holes in the rockers!? 3/4 inch plugs!? Sounds like a prime location to get some Fluid Film sprayed in there.
You mentioned longevity and snow......get 'er undercoated with Film Film the day you buy it, regardless of what you decide to get.

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holes in the rockers!? 3/4 inch plugs!? Sounds like a prime location to get some Fluid Film sprayed in there.
You mentioned longevity and snow......get 'er undercoated with Film Film the day you buy it, regardless of what you decide to get.
Yes for sure it will be undercoated. The popular place to get that done here in the Montreal area is Metropolitan Rust Proofing

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,

I’m not currently a Ranger owner, but have been shopping mid-size trucks since forever. I like to do a very in-depth research when shopping, and besides, looking at trucks is always fun! I currently own a 2010 Jeep Patriot, and regardless of the bad reviews it has gotten, it hasn’t been too bad. The AWD system it has does great in the snow, it has been pretty reliable, never been stranded or anything like that, but I did have to do some suspension work at around 75000km, which was too early in my opinion (it currently has 157000km and my kids are sharing it now) and changed the computer more recently (ouch, was expensive!)

After many many many (a whole lot !) of spec comparisons, spreadsheet cost analysis, trips to various dealers (Toyota, GM, Ford), the Ranger (supercab, fx4, maybe with 302A pkg) is at the top of the list. My needs are very modest, pulling an aluminum fishing boat and getting out there in the outdoors, the Ranger should be more than capable enough! My plan is to keep this truck as long as possible, so long term reliability is my priority.

Having followed several threads here on ranger5g, I currently only have 2 concerns: the "Fuel in oil" issue (I went through every page/post in the thread) and the recent "Holes in the rocker panel" issue seen on 2021 models. I visited 2 different Ford dealers yesterday, one had three 2020 models (demo vehicles) and the other had four 2021 models (supercrew and supercab) - the 2021 all had the holes in the rocker panels, 2020 models were plugged. I can’t see how this isn’t something other than an issue on the production line. Those holes in the rocker panels will for sure getting filled up with snow/ice/road salt in the winter.

For the fuel in oil issue, well I don’t think it’s every single Ranger out there but with everything that has been tried to fix the problem on trucks that do have it, it’s a bit worrying that no one has pin-pointed the issue and determined a proper fix. I really hope Ford will find a solution.

Having said that, I have emailed Ford Canada with my concerns with these two issues specifically and I’m waiting to hear back from them. I also brought up the removal of certain features that were part of the 2019 model year (wiper de-icer, 6 vs 4 tie-downs, etc.) in the form of “feedback”, and how (in my opinion) it’s not a good strategy if they’re looking to increase market share in the mid size truck market.

Hopefully everything will work out and I’ll order a Ranger in the near future.
Hey, Steven, it looks like you are doing a thorough job of researching the Ranger, but you do not mention test-driving. You should definitely ask for some lengthy test-driving time with the models that you are considering, not just "around the block" but take it home, try out the routes that you would usually follow on a regular basis (and drop dealers who will not comply from the running). In addition to the issues you mention, depending on individual taste and preferences, some members do not like the suspension, others hate the seats, the electronics, and so on. Test driving will radically reduce the possibility that you will choose a vehicle that doesn't agree with you (or vice-versa) for one reason or another. For my part, I had issues with the stock FX4 suspension, which I modified early on, but I love everything else about my 2019 Ranger Lariat, and I have not had any mechanical malfunction whatsoever at 12,000+. Whatever you decide, good luck with it!

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Welcome @slm
I bought mine in Dec 2020, I now have 9k km on it. I also did lots of research
online but never tested the other trucks, only the Ranger.
I don't have the gas in the oil issue but as u mentioned seems like an FI issue.
Seems many manufacturers have this issue with some engines.
302 is a nice option. I just went to Huile Metropolitain :like: , Krown would be good too.
My only beef is the mpg. It started at 13l/100km then 12l/100km but the last
tank was 10.8l/100km & I'm fine with that if it stays there for 50/50 driving.
Wife & I love the truck.

Turbo Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Make sure to test drive the Tremor as well, once you do you will understand why I said that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, Steven, it looks like you are doing a thorough job of researching the Ranger, but you do not mention test-driving. You should definitely ask for some lengthy test-driving time with the models that you are considering, not just "around the block" but take it home, try out the routes that you would usually follow on a regular basis (and drop dealers who will not comply from the running). In addition to the issues you mention, depending on individual taste and preferences, some members do not like the suspension, others hate the seats, the electronics, and so on. Test driving will radically reduce the possibility that you will choose a vehicle that doesn't agree with you (or vice-versa) for one reason or another. For my part, I had issues with the stock FX4 suspension, which I modified early on, but I love everything else about my 2019 Ranger Lariat, and I have not had any mechanical malfunction whatsoever at 12,000+. Whatever you decide, good luck with it!
Hi Marc - I have test driven it but it was a short test drive as you say. I will test drive it again for sure!

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome @slm
I bought mine in Dec 2020, I now have 9k km on it. I also did lots of research
online but never tested the other trucks, only the Ranger.
I don't have the gas in the oil issue but as u mentioned seems like an FI issue.
Seems many manufacturers have this issue with some engines.
302 is a nice option. I just went to Huile Metropolitain :like: , Krown would be good too.
My only beef is the mpg. It started at 13l/100km then 12l/100km but the last
tank was 10.8l/100km & I'm fine with that if it stays there for 50/50 driving.
Wife & I love the truck.
Ya the 302A is a nice option, but very expensive. I'd love to have the heated seats but it's hard to justify it at that cost.

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure to test drive the Tremor as well, once you do you will understand why I sad that.
No !!! Must resist !! :)
I sort of really want the 6ft bed and I don't think the tremor package is available on the supercab so I guess it's not an option for me.
Sponsored