Ranger has fresh competition...

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Um. If you want a mid-size but also use it as a truck, you get the most capable.

Duh.

Oh so you would get a Colorado Duramax. Anyway I really do not care about towing that much.
I didn't mean to offend anyone but I still stand by my point if you came from a SUV you will most likely like the Ranger. It's exterior styling, interior styling, comfort and ride is more SUV like. It reminds me more of our escape than some of my other trucks. When I drive to Toledo the truck is amazing and comfortable. I said nothing about capabilities.
I mean trucks usually have large nobs inside not little buttons. Personally I do not need the largest towing or cargo area. Like I have said I am not a fanboy of any brand or Truck I am a fanboy of pickups and all of them. They all have their niche.

Now that the Dodge seems to have cancelled the Dakota. It probably the right move the field is getting too crowded and they were late. Got to say though it probably makes The Tacoma a little better buy because they stuck by the smaller trucks. I do not think we see the drop out of small truck market like we did before though because the difference is the full size trucks just got to big and the manufacturers pretty much created the small truck market because of it. For me they have just got to big for my garage and driveway. i drive my truck everyday and it is not for work and they were just not as fun to drive anymore.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Oh so you would get a Colorado Duramax.
Nope, it has 1510lb payload vs 1860lb on the ranger. (2x2 in both cases) You'll get more payload with the V-6 on the colorado, but still a couple hundred pounds less than the ranger. You do theoretically get 200lb more trailer tow on the diesel, but I'm skeptical of how realistic that is given the low available payload. (Would be really easy to overload the colorado with a 7700lb trailer if the truck wasn't empty.)

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Nope, it has 1510lb payload vs 1860lb on the ranger. (2x2 in both cases) You'll get more payload with the V-6 on the colorado, but still a couple hundred pounds less than the ranger. You do theoretically get 200lb more trailer tow on the diesel, but I'm skeptical of how realistic that is given the low available payload. (Would be really easy to overload the colorado with a 7700lb trailer if the truck wasn't empty.)
Interesting on the Diesel numbers. Seems Ford hit the magic numbers with the 2.3L gasser vs the diesel overall. Less fuel cost, good economy for the capabilities it provides, and no upcharge. Plus unless you get the ZR2, the Colorado looks like a lowrider. Not bad if you want a sport street truck, but not in a 4wd.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Interesting on the Diesel numbers. Seems Ford hit the magic numbers with the 2.3L gasser vs the diesel overall. Less fuel cost, good economy for the capabilities it provides, and no upcharge.
Diesel engines always tend to be heavier (to stand up to the really high pressures) and if your payload isn't limited by the engine that extra weight simply cuts into your capacity. I think there's still some place for diesel in the US for a little while longer, but (IMO) in anything less than a 3/4 ton truck on a heavy duty cycle it rarely makes sense when you look at the numbers.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Diesel engines always tend to be heavier (to stand up to the really high pressures) and if your payload isn't limited by the engine that extra weight simply cuts into your capacity. I think there's still some place for diesel in the US for a little while longer, but (IMO) in anything less than a 3/4 ton truck on a heavy duty cycle it rarely makes sense when you look at the numbers.
Very good point on the weight. I have always had diesel trucks when I needed them (5.9 Cummins and 6.7 Power Strokes), but they were in .75 and 1 ton trucks so the weight wasn't a consideration the way it is in a smaller vehicle. The only small diesel I owned was a 2014 2.0 VW Passat TDI and that thing was awesome. 50+ actual MPG highway at 75+/- mph. Had great off the line and midrange acceleration as well. Also had a '90s Kubota G1900 lawn tractor with a 20hp 3 cyl diesel and that speaks for it's self.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I got 200k out of my 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Sport 4wd, great truck and I liked the looks of the 3rd gen too, but between the downsized engine and quirky trans I did not see it as an upgrade for me, and seemed like Toyota has been coasting on its reputation a bit. Still seems to be working for them though, as in my area I see 10 Tacomas for every Ranger. (Suckers lol) I also drove the new Colorado 4wd V6 for a week and thought it was nice, but I did not wake up looking forward to driving it as I do my Ranger. Another thing I don't see mentioned much, I LOVE having 4 wheel discs instead of those crappy drums which I detest servicing.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Arguing on the internet is like pissing up a rope

Motorpsychology

First Name