First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
This reminds me of a time I tried to buy a Dakota, right before the RT came out. I wanted the V8, regular cab, manual transmission, 2wd. The dealer refused to order it, probably a good thing because I ended up moving to NH a few months later.
Sponsored

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
The best solution to the rear legroom problem is to sit in the drivers seat.
Or, drive around with short people like me and my wife up front. Hell, you'll have all the room in the world back there!!!

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I did look at the Tacoma when deciding to purchase the Ranger, and TBH, would have gone with it if not for the price difference. In my area, Tacomas are VERY popular, and the dealerships just wouldn't budge or offer any kind of incentives. The Ford dealerships were willing to negotiate and give me a solid deal for the truck, so I went with them.

My experience with the Tacoma was that (1) I didn't like the drive feel as much as the Ranger, and (2) I didn't like the seat position (felt like my head was hitting the top of the cab, and also I couldn't see very much as the hood obstructs visibility). Still, I felt the metal materials on the exterior, and the plastics in the interior was a bit higher quality. Maybe that will all change in 4-5 years when I'm ready to trade in and buy a new truck though, so I will check out every option b4 buying.
The price is what got me too. I originally wanted a Ranger but it never seemed to come out so I bought a Colorado. When it came time to get another truck I was looking at everything. Was close to getting a Taco and then then their was like 6000.00 plus in rebates and then dealer had almost 2000.00 off plus I got some more and they gave me almost whet I paid for the Colorado. I could not believe how much value it retained. I almost traded a 3 yr old truck for new.

Have you actually looked at the other offerings? I admit the Ranger isn't up to par with the larger trucks (or any vehicle segment), but non of the others are either. The Ranger is actually the best of the bunch.
I'll be willing to bet the new Frontier's interior is mostly hard plastic surfaces. I was hoping they would come out with something better, because I'm waiting for someone to come out with a midsized that isn't sub-par.
I actually owned another offering and the Ranger feels cheaper and less rugged than my Colorado did.

Colorado feels more like a truck than the Ranger and the Ranger feels more like a SUV to me. It also sounds more like a SUV. If you owned a truck the Colorado would feel better and if you came from a SUV the Ranger would.

When it comes down to the two there was nothing bad about my Colorado but it didn't excel at anything either but was very solid truck. With my Ranger there are things I love and things I hate, there are things it excels at and this that are terrible.

My Colorado didn't even have a chip or dent. My Ranger had a major one in the hood within a month.

I am not going to say which I like better because it really does not matter it is all opinion and preference anyway.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I actually owned another offering and the Ranger feels cheaper and less rugged than my Colorado did.

Colorado feels more like a truck than the Ranger and the Ranger feels more like a SUV to me. It also sounds more like a SUV. If you owned a truck the Colorado would feel better and if you came from a SUV the Ranger would.

When it comes down to the two there was nothing bad about my Colorado but it didn't excel at anything either but was very solid truck. With my Ranger there are things I love and things I hate, there are things it excels at and this that are terrible.

My Colorado didn't even have a chip or dent. My Ranger had a major one in the hood within a month.

I am not going to say which I like better because it really does not matter it is all opinion and preference anyway.
I've owned nothing but trucks for the last 30yrs and for me, the Ranger felt like the best. Maybe that's because it "feels like an SUV" and I was tired of driving trucks. :)
What got me looking at the Ranger originally was the look of the interior. I know, that's a personal preference thing and not the best reason to buy a vehicle, but it is what I have to look at every time I drive it. I came from a Sierra and never really did like the look of the interior. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Colorado/Canyon with the same interior, but of lesser quality.
I am waiting to see what their next gen will look like though. Who knows for sure, but it is suppose to be out in a couple years. At that point I'll cross-shop it with the next gen Ranger again. I'm hoping both makes will be better.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I've owned nothing but trucks for the last 30yrs and for me, the Ranger felt like the best. Maybe that's because it "feels like an SUV" and I was tired of driving trucks. :)
What got me looking at the Ranger originally was the look of the interior. I know, that's a personal preference thing and not the best reason to buy a vehicle, but it is what I have to look at every time I drive it. I came from a Sierra and never really did like the look of the interior. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Colorado/Canyon with the same interior, but of lesser quality.
I am waiting to see what their next gen will look like though. Who knows for sure, but it is suppose to be out in a couple years. At that point I'll cross-shop it with the next gen Ranger again. I'm hoping both makes will be better.

See it feels to me to be the same quality. The difference to me is Ranger has a little more style but it is less functional. The whole angle of the control panel is just wrong and hard to see. The buttons are to small. But again I am a truck person, I just prefer to drive smaller trucks for everyday use. I know it is the same complaint allot of people have. To me both interiors just feel old.

Reactions: DHH

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
To me both interiors just feel old.
I do agree with you here.
To clarify, I wasn't saying I felt the Colorado interior was of lesser quality than the Ranger. I felt it was lesser quality than the Sierra I had. I am not a fan of the Ranger's interior quality either. It's like you said, it has a little more style.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
The price is what got me too. I originally wanted a Ranger but it never seemed to come out so I bought a Colorado. When it came time to get another truck I was looking at everything. Was close to getting a Taco and then then their was like 6000.00 plus in rebates and then dealer had almost 2000.00 off plus I got some more and they gave me almost whet I paid for the Colorado. I could not believe how much value it retained. I almost traded a 3 yr old truck for new.

Or those of us that want to do actual truck things like hauling and towing selected the one that offers the best of each.

But at least yours looks more like a truck in your mind.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Um. If you want a mid-size but also use it as a truck, you get the most capable.

Duh.
Capable? You’re talking a few hundred pounds between models. If towing capacity is that close that you have to pick one mid size over another, you’re just kidding yourself and most likely, putting yourself in danger.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Capable? You’re talking a few hundred pounds between models. If towing capacity is that close that you have to pick one mid size over another, you’re just kidding yourself and most likely, putting yourself in danger.
Lol. Yes, im goin to spend 35k on a truck less capable. You know because it "looks" more like a truck.

Less torque. Less HP. Less hauling. Less towing.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Lol. Yes, im goin to spend 35k on a truck less capable. You know because it "looks" more like a truck.

Less torque. Less HP. Less hauling. Less towing.
I don’t know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We all choose our purchases for a reason. If you really want to get it out and measure, there will never be a clear winner between all the brands. One does “X” better, the other does that better,quality, price and so on.

I’m not brand loyal and the reason I am on this forum is to learn more about the Ranger for a possible future purchase. I’ve been breaking it down to many factors and Ranger has its flaws, as all brands do.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
they saw the new Frontier and knew it was all over
Think it had more to do with the Stellantis acquisition of FCA, but I'll give you the Nissan thing. I'd be scared too with all that high RPM HP and torque. Hemi is no match for that screeching Nissan power.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Off topic and out of the mid sized class, but I looked at a 2021 Chevrolet 1500 Custom Trail Boss with the 6.2 V8. Nicely equipped truck for $42k with current incentives plus tax if you want a full sized V8 Chevy with a nice looking off road pkg.
Sponsored