Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Also, this is for 2022 MY.

With delays I highly doubt it will be around this summer. MAYBE next summer.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
waiting to see if they offer a chrome package, plus if it isn't going to available for a while maybe the white coat gearheads at Nissan can figure out how to put a blower on that 3.8 and bring it to life along with some war paint striping on the body.

Turbo engines are ideal for relatively inexpensive bang for the buck performance modifications. Nissan spent a lot of money developing their variable displacement turbo 4 and it's largely failed to impress.

During the oil embargo way back in the 70s I picked up a Datsun 510 and that was a fun little car to drive, I managed to overheat the engine and it stretched the timing chain and it had a loud distinctive rattle but drove it for many miles and it never died.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I think it will do ok because it is different enough for some buyers. I personally am not thrilled by it.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
For a 3.8 liter (or litre depending) I'd expect more towing...I think its an issue with the chassis and ancillaries like brakes and diff. They are noted as using the old chassis with a few improvements to keep some cost down and I get that. I honestly think it will have a huge first year but will fall off a little.

As others have said...I am all in with another good truck in the market so that it keeps everyone on their toes.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
For a 3.8 liter (or litre depending) I'd expect more towing...I think its an issue with the chassis and ancillaries like brakes and diff. They are noted as using the old chassis with a few improvements to keep some cost down and I get that. I honestly think it will have a huge first year but will fall off a little.

As others have said...I am all in with another good truck in the market so that it keeps everyone on their toes.
Hard to get more towing with the same tired NI V6.
Surprised they didn't replace it with something from the last decade.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
IIRC there is still a stiff 25% tariff imposed on trucks that are not built in N America, making it cost prohibitive not to build in NA plants.
10-4. Trucks built in Mexico & Canada get a bye

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Those wheel wells give that side profile a ehhhhhh at most.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Gotta say, I'm disappointed in it overall. I've been waiting for the reveal, because I'm waiting for a mid-size that isn't dumbed-down in regards to options. I don't mind the exterior. Don't love it, but I'm pretty sure it'll look better to me over time. It's the interior and engine that knocks it off my list.
The engine,(which I knew last year was going to be a negative), is too low on hp/tq and mpg in this day and age. Despite it being Nissan's "new" motor, it's already 10yrs behind the competition.
I also don't mind the general look/layout of the interior. It's not great, but not bad either. The real problem I have with it, is it appears to have the same expansive use of hard plastic as the previous version, which makes it look low-end. If they had more soft-touch panels, it'd be worlds better.
Basically, it looks to me that Nissan has done a remake in order to just barely, and maybe not completely, put it on the same playing field as it's competition. The trouble with that though, is Ford is bringing out a new Ranger, and Chev/GMC will be redoing theirs in a couple years. As I see it, Nissan will be completely outdated (again) in only a couple years.

The FX2 equivalent in the new Nissan PRO X has no locking diff I heard. Just the PRO 4X look about it.
I don't understand this one. Another Nissan head scratcher. Why remove the locking diff on a truck that is suppose to be a pre-runner?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HI Folks,

To Nissan....Bring it on! We will see where sales land....

Built Ford Tough means something. 2023 is fast approaching...Nissan...are you read?

Ford has dropped the gloves in my opinion as it is time to not play paddy cakes!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
This new redesign seems to be a refreshing change for Nissan – a company that seems to be lost these days. Back when the mini-truck market initially took off, in the 80’s & 90’s, they were a legitimate player. They sold a ton of Hardbodies, and they were great trucks back then. They were very competitively priced, looked good, and ran good. Then the Frontier came along and they seemed to become lass and less competitive. Al least with this new redesign, it looks like they are getting more serious. I agree that they need to do some work on the old school motor though. Lets see if Nissan has something up their sleeves. I expect they will have some sort of powertrain upgrade for when Ford, GM and Toyota all launch their redesigned trucks. Still Nissan is first to the market with their upgrade, so that is probably worth something.

Also, there is nothing positive for any of the other midsized truck manufactures with this new Frontier coming out. They will take sales from all of them. They question should be how many?

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
HI Folks,

To Nissan....Bring it on! We will see where sales land....

Built Ford Tough means something. 2023 is fast approaching...Nissan...are you read?

Ford has dropped the gloves in my opinion as it is time to not play paddy cakes!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Oh, I agree. I think the real battle will be between Ford and Toyota.

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
Hard to get more towing with the same tired NI V6.
Surprised they didn't replace it with something from the last decade.
This engine is brand new as of 2020. The 2020-2021 frontier have the DI 3.8 V6 with a 9 speed auto. I took a 2020 PRO-4X on an extended test drive and I was very unimpressed by the torque of the 3.8. The 9 speed did feel great though. I think the old 4.0 was the better engine. The 3.8 screams up top, but it’s super noisy and feels very Honda Vtec like. Just not an ideal engine for a truck.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I certainly needed a refresh. When I was looking at which mid size truck I might want I passed the Nissan, because it was quite dated.
Personally, I like "dated".
Currently driving an 07 Ranger, I'll likely buy a 2021 Frontier when my Ranger finally caves. All this tech in new vehicles I don't want or want to pay for.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I don't mind the looks. I almost bought a 2019 Pro4x because of price and I knew they were pretty bullet proof, but I found a great deal on the Ranger and thought it was so much more truck for similar money. They should not have did the fake fender vents in the lower front. Looks too Silverado-ish. Otherwise the front looks very modern. I really like the exterior minus those vents. I don't see much Toyota in it at all, just the color. The tailgate stamping that was reintroduced in 2008 Superduty, that Toyota fans try to claim everyone copied them on, is very common these days. The interior is on par as is the engine transmission which are carried over from the 2020/21 model. As far as sales, it won't do much to take from anybody IMHO. It's competitive on paper, but it does nothing to change the class. In 2005 when the truck was much more ahead of it's time, it managed to sell 72,838. With a relatively small dealer network and no way to undercut many fresh new competitors pricing, I think 60k-75k annually is as good as it will get.
2021_toyota_tacoma_2_2560x1440.jpg
2022-nissan-frontier_100779821_l.jpg

Last edited:

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
This engine is brand new as of 2020. The 2020-2021 frontier have the DI 3.8 V6 with a 9 speed auto. I took a 2020 PRO-4X on an extended test drive and I was very unimpressed by the torque of the 3.8. The 9 speed did feel great though. I think the old 4.0 was the better engine. The 3.8 screams up top, but it’s super noisy and feels very Honda Vtec like. Just not an ideal engine for a truck.
I saw a review somewhere that was very unimpressed by the 3.8 also. Kinda disappointing. I think Nissan claimed this was an almost entirely new/revised for the Frontier?? Found this from Motor Trend:
"Powered by a 3.8-liter naturally aspirated V-6, the 2020 Frontier produces 310 hp and 281 lb-ft of torque. This is the only engine available in the Frontier, which means the four-cylinder mill has finally been retired. Nissan says the new V-6 was developed with the U.S. market in mind and is composed of 93 percent new or redesigned parts. With those numbers, the 2020 Frontier is slightly more powerful than the Chevrolet Colorado, Jeep Gladiator, and Toyota Tacoma with their six-cylinder mills. And that showed during our testing." "Unlike so many in the midsize truck segment that make do with repurposed car engines, the Frontier's new engine is torque-rich in the middle of its powerband rather than the northern reaches of the tach," . "As good as the engine is, we weren't as pleased with its nine-speed transmission. The gearbox is programmed to upshift too early, and it took its time to downshift."----MT
Sponsored

Last edited: