Programming Garage door opener

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
From old school I guess but...in the interest of safety, I NEVER program my garage door opener.

A thief steals your car, now they have access to your house.

To avoid that, I also program the GPS (home button) to the local police station AND secretly hide the vehicle registration that shows my home address.

Fortunately, the local police station is a few miles from my house so even if I'm on a trip, it will get me close enough to my house. If you don't have a police station close to you use a neighbor's address down the street.

That's just me.
Sponsored

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
From old school I guess but...in the interest of safety, I NEVER program my garage door opener.

To avoid that, I also program the GPS (home button) to the local police station AND secretly hide the vehicle registration that shows my home address.

Fortunately, the local police station is a few miles from my house so even if I'm on a trip, it will get me close enough to my house. If you don't have a police station close to you use a neighbor's address down the street.

That's just me.
If my truck is stolen the first thing I'll do [after calling the cops] is erase the garage door memory. Problem solved. But yeah, you make some good points.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a plan. Good luck!
Got the remote tonight and that was the missing link. I used the remote then did the learn thing on the opener and it worked the first time.

Thank you all for the info. Seems like that should be more explicit in the instructions. Last time I seemed to recall not having to have the remote when I did the learn function.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

That's just me.
I feel the same way. But I always keep my insurance and reg info in my wallet. That way they are never int he vehicle if its get stolen. As for the HOME in the GPS. Put in a neighbors address you don't like much. That way it gets you close enough to your house w/o actually being your house. :D

Ranger12

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
To program the Lariat buttons for the garage door opener, I had to have the vehicle inside the garage when the "learn" button was pushed. Worked fine then. I had tried to program it from the driveway and it did not work.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Got the remote tonight and that was the missing link. I used the remote then did the learn thing on the opener and it worked the first time.

Thank you all for the info. Seems like that should be more explicit in the instructions. Last time I seemed to recall not having to have the remote when I did the learn function.
I'm glad you finally figured it out. I agree, the instructions were not clear. I thought it read like "program the truck buttons" OR "program the opener motor". Mystery solved I guess.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
To program the Lariat buttons for the garage door opener, I had to have the vehicle inside the garage when the "learn" button was pushed. Worked fine then. I had tried to program it from the driveway and it did not work.
I even tried this - the truck was sitting right under the opener, but it didn't change anything. It needed the remote to be able to program successfully.

Claudess

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Is this a Lariat only option? Couldn't find any reference to it during the build screens.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I will add something that was really weird. I ended up calling homelink as I could not get the visor to program. The tech at Homelink could not do it either over the phone until she had me unplug the garage refrigerator and the overhead LED lights in the garage. After that the programing worked just fine....Some EMF signals appear to have caused the programing to go astray. Very weird in my opinion....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering,
Ford Motor Co. - Retired

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Took a few try's on mine but got it programmed, agree on the limited range and now curious that you need special led bulbs for a garage door opener, do they interfere with the signal? I have had issues twice with the opener not working and I am sitting in front of it, the wife's T and C is not programmed to this garage but to my son's and she can activate 1/4 mile down the road.

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Took a few try's on mine but got it programmed, agree on the limited range and now curious that you need special led bulbs for a garage door opener, do they interfere with the signal? I have had issues twice with the opener not working and I am sitting in front of it, the wife's T and C is not programmed to this garage but to my son's and she can activate 1/4 mile down the road.
Many of the inexpensive off brand LED bulbs have a high EMI/RF wideband output that can interfere with many wireless devices and receivers (including AM/FM radios.) Here is an article that explains the issue.

https://blog.1000bulbs.com/home/are-my-bulbs-rf-quiet

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Many of the inexpensive off brand LED bulbs have a high EMI/RF wideband output that can interfere with many wireless devices and receivers (including AM/FM radios.) Here is an article that explains the issue.

https://blog.1000bulbs.com/home/are-my-bulbs-rf-quiet
Thanks, that is great info, my house is 100% led, recycled the cfls at Menard's. Time to do some experimenting and see how it operates with bulbs on and off.

Yep, the 2 led bulbs in the opener will cause remote to not function or be intermittent at best. The rest of my garage leds are not a factor.

Last edited:

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger, 1997 BMW Z3, 2010 VW Tiguan
Finally got my door opener programmed today. It was a.challenge and didn’t match exactly any of the instructions I had seen so thought I would post just in case they would be helpful for anyone. I thought it was likely an incomparable Genie door opener so finally I gave up and explained what I had tried in a chat session with Genie Company. Again as I say, it did not match anything I had read, but it may be that the biggest issue was that support person said the truck must be running. He mentioned that even though the manual said it did not, he suggest he has nearly always been unsuccessful if the vehicle was not running. Here are his instructions:
1. Make sure the Ford Ranger is on and running
2. Make sure the garage door is already open and you have access to the Learn code button on the opener (Model PCG600).
3. Go into the running Ford Ranger and clear the HomeLInk code by holding the two outside buttons for 20 seconds.
4. When the ranger LED (on the visor controller) starts blinking the HomeLInk is now cleared.
5.Press and hold the Garage door remote (from other vehicle) and the desired button (to program) on the Ranger at the same time 3 inches from each other, waiting for a slow to fast blink on that button.
6. When it goes to a fast blink...the transfer is complete.
7. Go to the opener (in my case a Genie Chain Glide PCG600.) Press and release the Learn code button, a Red LED will start flashing and you’ll have 30 seconds to run back to the Ranger, where you will press and release the button you trained earlier 3 to 5 times, or until the door starts to wor (up to about 9 times).

My door went up on the third push. It really seems like a combination of the first remote training and the manual programming of the door described in the manual. But all with the truck running. Which was different than the manual. Really shouldn’t be that hard but there are a billion different receivers for door openers. Hope this helps any who are still having issues.
Sponsored