DIY Built-in Garage Door Opener Module

Ed Venture

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Since I have to park my XLT in the driveway, I didn't want to leave my garage remote on the visor. It would be too easy for someone to break the window and snag the remote to the garage door and walk away with thousands of dollars worth of tools. After looking at the price for a HomeLink or equivalent ($160) I decided to fab up my own using parts from Amazon.

I ordered up a Chamberlin Clicker universal remote, a 12V to 3V step down converter, a quality momentary push button switch, and a pack of tiny battery cable connectors and fabricated it up:

1-Completed Unit.jpg

There really wasn't much too it; just a few dabs of solder to attach all the leads (please ignore my questionable soldering skills):

2-Solder Back.jpg

3-Solder Front.jpg

I had to clip out some of the plastic case at the top and the bottom to get the wires to pass through before I snapped it all back together. I also added a pigtail for the second button on the remote should I want to add it later.

Here is the unit with power off and then on:

4-Powe Off.jpg

5-Power On.jpg

Works like a champ! Now all I have to do is figure out where I want to install it and connect it to an accessory switched lead.

Best,

Ed
Sponsored

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
Looks great, Ed. Can't wait to see it how you mount it.

OP
OP

Ed Venture

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Okay - all done! Installed the button in the overhead console and mounted the remote to the support below the steering wheel:
Button Install.jpg

under dash.jpg

I spent a good deal of time tidying up the all my wires. Between the new garage remote module, auto mirror folding module, two dash cams, two amplifiers and a LTE WIFI hotspot I have a lot going on under there.

Best,

Ed

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Love these kind of mods Ed!
Nice job. I especially like the blue LED switch.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Okay - all done! Installed the button in the overhead console and mounted the remote to the support below the steering wheel:
Button Install.jpg

under dash.jpg

I spent a good deal of time tidying up the all my wires. Between the new garage remote module, auto mirror folding module, two dash cams, two amplifiers and a LTE WIFI hotspot I have a lot going on under there.

Best,

Ed
Hi ED,

A very elegant solution! Congrats!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Fastfitzy

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Ed, I’m going to need you to make me one of these. If you’d like, I won’t charge you anything.
For one of my other cars I used a auto dimming homelink rear view mirror that I pulled at a salvage yard. Best 10$ ever spent

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Question....Is the button live all the time or only when the truck is on accessory?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Question....Is the button live all the time or only when the truck is on accessory?
Depends how you wire it. I installed a Lariat visor with home link (I think $60 at JunkYard)and tied it to ign hot line rather than the always on setup of the stock wiring. Actually stock comes on with interior lights - ie after you open the door.

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Actually stock comes on with interior lights - ie after you open the door.
I like it this way the best. My garage door faces the prevailing wind, which can be quite strong and cold in the winter. I get in the truck before opening the garage door to avoid the frigid blast, and open the garage door before starting the engine.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I like it this way the best. My garage door faces the prevailing wind, which can be quite strong and cold in the winter. I get in the truck before opening the garage door to avoid the frigid blast, and open the garage door before starting the engine.
Yeah we all have different needs. Mine sits out side ?. So it would be like leaving my garage door open if i wired that way.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Button Install.jpg

under dash.jpg

Best,

Ed
What keeps
Since I have to park my XLT in the driveway, I didn't want to leave my garage remote on the visor. It would be too easy for someone to break the window and snag the remote to the garage door and walk away with thousands of dollars worth of tools. After looking at the price for a HomeLink or equivalent ($160) I decided to fab up my own using parts from Amazon.

I ordered up a Chamberlin Clicker universal remote, a 12V to 3V step down converter, a quality momentary push button switch, and a pack of tiny battery cable connectors and fabricated it up:

1-Completed Unit.jpg

There really wasn't much too it; just a few dabs of solder to attach all the leads (please ignore my questionable soldering skills):

2-Solder Back.jpg

3-Solder Front.jpg

I had to clip out some of the plastic case at the top and the bottom to get the wires to pass through before I snapped it all back together. I also added a pigtail for the second button on the remote should I want to add it later.

Here is the unit with power off and then on:

4-Powe Off.jpg

5-Power On.jpg

Works like a champ! Now all I have to do is figure out where I want to install it and connect it to an accessory switched lead.

Best,

Ed
Why didn’t Ford think of this?
Nice job.

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Depends how you wire it. I installed a Lariat visor with home link (I think $60 at JunkYard)and tied it to ign hot line rather than the always on setup of the stock wiring. Actually stock comes on with interior lights - ie after you open the door.
I would be pissed if I had homelink in the Ranger and it worked that way. In every other car I've had it in it only works with the key in the ignition. Otherwise why even have it instead of a clip on opener?

Did you run the wire directly to the fuse box? I've heard there is wiring near the rear view mirror but I Have an XL and I haven't been able to find any wiring there. It's something I really want to add. The Junkyard visor seems to be the best option for me.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Safest way is just to add it to your phone

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I would be pissed if I had homelink in the Ranger and it worked that way. In every other car I've had it in it only works with the key in the ignition. Otherwise why even have it instead of a clip on opener?

Did you run the wire directly to the fuse box? I've heard there is wiring near the rear view mirror but I Have an XL and I haven't been able to find any wiring there. It's something I really want to add. The Junkyard visor seems to be the best option for me.
I tapped into a ign switched line in the A pillar. It does go up to the mirror.
Sponsored