Programming Garage door opener

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB
I have 2 older (9yrs) Genie screw drive openers and 1 newer one (3yrs). When I got my '10 Escape the built-in opener was CAR2U. It was breeze to program to the openers. When I got the '15 Escape, the Homelink remote was very frustrating to program. i sometimes have trouble with it not closing or opening the newer opener even though I am no more than 20' away. It may only be coincidence, but sometimes if I use the remote to open/close one of the older units and then try the newer one it then works.
The only difference, besides age, between the openers is that the newer one has a DC motor so that it operates with a battery back-up.
Sponsored

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2 older (9yrs) Genie screw drive openers and 1 newer one (3yrs). When I got my '10 Escape the built-in opener was CAR2U. It was breeze to program to the openers. When I got the '15 Escape, the Homelink remote was very frustrating to program. i sometimes have trouble with it not closing or opening the newer opener even though I am no more than 20' away. It may only be a coincidence, but sometimes if I use the remote to open/close one of the older units and then try the newer one it then works.
The only difference, besides age, between the openers is that the newer one has a DC motor so that it operates with a battery back-up.
Make sure, if you have a WiFi opener, you use special bulbs made for garage door openers..Range will be increased.

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Follows the directions on page 123 of the owner’s manual and my 20+ year old garage opener is now working from my visor button. Life is sweet.

Last edited:

Rmblaster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I had to try to program with the remote and then use the learn button to program it was the same process on 2 garage openers

Steve63

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Black, 1970 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, these are the exact steps I tried.
Didn't work though.
Took me about 2 minutes to program my wife's car, and my Jeep, but no dice on the Ranger...
There are several youtube videos on how to set up garage door opener. The instructions in manual did not work for me but after clearing the setting and following the video on tablet, it worked like a charm. I would start with clearing the settings first and then trying again. Wasted about 45 minutes before I tried that. Much swearing and anger. All better now and works better than the controller that came with door. Greater distance.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Some require programming through the learn button on the opener. I ended up having to go that route for mine.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Some require programming through the learn button on the opener. I ended up having to go that route for mine.
The piece I missed was HAVING to have the existing opener - it somehow "primed" the learn process. Without the existing opener the process just wouldn't work.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
The piece I missed was HAVING to have the existing opener - it somehow "primed" the learn process. Without the existing opener the process just wouldn't work.
Not the remote. The actual opener. Some have a learn button you push to program it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Not the remote. The actual opener. Some have a learn button you push to program it.
Right - I had to do BOTH - the learn function didn't work until I used the original remote. Then the learn function worked. The only analogy I can come up with is that somehow the original remote "primed" the system to learn somehow. I must have done it 20 times at least and it never worked. Once I added the step with the original remote, the learn function worked the first time.

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Happy 4th of July everybody! I programmed my HomeLink opener this morning. The following procedure worked for my garage door operator/transmitter combo (Linear Model LDO33 with MCT-3 transmitter; circa 2015 hardware/firmware), and was actually easier than that described in the manual:
- All steps were performed while the truck was inside the garage (the manual says to pull the vehicle out of the garage, but I think that statement was required by the Ford lawyers).
- Opened garage door with Linear transmitter (optional).
- Switched the ignition on in Accessory Mode.
- Simultaneously pressed the left and right HomeLink buttons on visor until the HomeLink LED flashed rapidly in order to clear existing (probably non-existent) codes.
- Pressed and released the left-hand HomeLink button (the one to be programmed). As I recall, the HomeLink LED started flashing (not fast, but maybe about one or two flashes per second).
- Held Linear transmitter up close (about a half inch; manual says 1 to 3 inches) to the HomeLink button and then pressed and held the Linear transmitter button.
- The door then closed and I continued to hold the transmitter button down for about a half minute. At some point during this step, the HomeLink LED stopped flashing. It never came back on (i.e. it never flashed (rapidly, or otherwise)). After releasing the Linear transmitter button, I figured the procedure had failed.
- I then pressed the HomeLink button, AND (surprise) the door opened!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Happy 4th of July everybody! I programmed my HomeLink opener this morning. The following procedure worked for my garage door operator/transmitter combo (Linear Model LDO33 with MCT-3 transmitter; circa 2015 hardware/firmware), and was actually easier than that described in the manual:
- All steps were performed while the truck was inside the garage (the manual says to pull the vehicle out of the garage, but I think that statement was required by the Ford lawyers).
- Opened garage door with Linear transmitter (optional).
- Switched the ignition on in Accessory Mode.
- Simultaneously pressed the left and right HomeLink buttons on visor until the HomeLink LED flashed rapidly in order to clear existing (probably non-existent) codes.
- Pressed and released the left-hand HomeLink button (the one to be programmed). As I recall, the HomeLink LED started flashing (not fast, but maybe about one or two flashes per second).
- Held Linear transmitter up close (about a half inch; manual says 1 to 3 inches) to the HomeLink button and then pressed and held the Linear transmitter button.
- The door then closed and I continued to hold the transmitter button down for about a half minute. At some point during this step, the HomeLink LED stopped flashing. It never came back on (i.e. it never flashed (rapidly, or otherwise)). After releasing the Linear transmitter button, I figured the procedure had failed.
- I then pressed the HomeLink button, AND (surprise) the door opened!
Happy Independence Day to you!!!:flag:

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
For those still having problems, like I did. I followed this and it worked for my Camberlin.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I cant believe that nobody thought of just putting your remote in your truck. :yawn:

TKDMasterV

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew XLT - Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I ran into this same issue with my Mustang. I called the opener manufacture and seems the opener was older then the car and was not compatible.