First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Tech Shaman
There are other threads on the wireless keypad for the '19/'20 Ranger. Despite issues with batteries, I've grown so use to the Ford SecuriCode keypads that I made the purchase after-the-fact. My XLT didn't come with one from the factory. After I received it, I quickly realized that you cannot program the Ranger 5G using FORScan or any of the old PATS "turn the key and mess with FOB's" method. The '19/'20 Ranger use 128-bit FOBs and Ford's new connected PATS which requires either IDS, or the new FDRS/FJDS diagnostics software. There's not a lot of documentation on how this works, and almost everyone in my area is completely lost on the right way to do it.

I'm in NJ and I reached out to (2) automotive locksmiths, my original dealership, and (3) other Ford dealerships near me. The locksmith's told me I had to go to a Ford dealership to get this done. The dealerships, including the one I bought the truck from, said it would cost, minimum, 1-hour labor, probably 2. In NJ, this means $127.50 MINIMUM...probably more. That's not including the part. 1 dealer told me if I didn't purchase the part from them (at a markup) they wouldn't perform programming. Plus I'd need to leave the truck, burning a day. Two dealerships straight up said it was not something they've done before, and my original dealership said it was very difficult. When I said I had the instructions, they said bring them...but there was no way to do it for less than an hour. I'm not one to admit defeat, so I figured out how to do it myself. I wanted to share the process for anyone else here. I hope it helps someone.

Whether it be installed at the factory or dealership, all '19/'20 Ranger SecuriCode keyless entry keypads are wireless. You can buy one after-the-fact or add up to (3) additional, per vehicle. There's (2) models:

KB3Z-14A626-A = vehicles without factory remote start
KB3Z-14A626-B = vehicles with factory remote start

They use different frequencies and will not work with the wrong vehicle. I was able to snag one online, brand new, for $77. The unit will come with a FoMoCo master code card with (3) sets of 16-digit codes. This is the 128-bit code you'll need to program to the vehicle using FDRS or IDS.

The Software...
It's not well known, but anyone can purchase a license for IDS or FDRS/FJDS. You will also need to have a "VCI" (Vehicle Control Interface) which connects your PC to the vehicle, and these can be very expensive. They are a professional mechanic's tool. I'll break this down in below. IDS is now Ford legacy software, and is being phased out on new vehicles. Being it is capable of programming a lot more vehicles, (older ones) it's also more expensive. It also requires you to have a Bosch VCM device, specifically. The ranger will only work with the VCM2, VCM3 or VCMM using IDS. For all these reasons, I wouldn't recommend going IDS.

FDRS/FJDS is the new Ford software, and it's less expensive and works with any J2534 passthru programmers. This software is partially cloud-based and requires an Internet connection, login to be created, and the license. You can go to Motorcraft / Rotunda website to see pricing, but FDRS offer's a 2-day license for $50. Inexpensive and easy to sign-up. Acquiring a license was no fuss.

The Hardware...
Ford really wants you to use the Bosch VCM hardware. They make it really easy if you have one of these adapters. Surprisingly I've yet to be able to find a link to purchase the official Bosch one. Everything seen online is either a "clone", "hack" or just a scam. This was another reason why I went FDRS. It supports 3rd party adapters. If you are going to purchase a clone. I've read a lot about getting one that specifically lists "Full Chip" as not all of them have the correct electronics. I didn't go this way...but I was shocked at how difficult it was to try and find the right hardware.

FORScan adapters aren't passthru adapters, so they will not work with FDRS. The VCI has to be a passthru device with a separate driver and firmware saying so. The better ones go from $500+.

If I was a mechanic, I'd probably buy the Drew Tech Mongoose. But I'm not a mechanic, so I opted to go with a Chinese knock-off. I ended up with the STIC SVCI J2534. It was $125 on Amazon.. It also has a switch to bounce between passthru and ELM mode for use with FORScan. Decent deal.

Word of caution, you HAVE to use the drivers on the CD the unit comes with. The website can't be accessed from the US, the drivers also assume you're trying to pirate IDS, and it's a total rabbit hole / nightmare. But if you load the drivers from the CD, and ignore all the references to IDS pirating, It works.

The Nonsense...
The STIC, specifically, didn't add a registry key that FDRS needs to "see". It took many hours of sifting through log files to figure out that you need to go to: regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\PassThruSupport.04.04\STIC - SVCI > add "String Value" and name it "ConfigApplication". The value can be left blank, but the entry needs to be there, otherwise FDRS won't list the adapter. 4 hours of my life I will never get back for that piece of info...

FDRS/FJDS doesn't come with Ford VCI components, so you need to download and install...individually...all the Ford software and wait for it to do it's thing. You also need to use Internet Explorer (Yes...I'm serious...some links fail using Firefox or Chrome). It's annoying, kludgy, and not very user friendly. But you should be able to follow instructions and make it all work, if you have patience. Download software HERE.

FDRS is partially cloud-based. When I was attempting to use it this morning, the software wouldn't connect to Ford. I also noticed the Ford Pass app was down. You cannot program all modules unless Ford's servers are up. You can see this at the bottom right of the software. You have to have a green signal icon for things to work properly.

The actual procedure...
You can follow the instructions I found HERE, which are Ford official, and literally took less than 5 minutes.

All things considered, I spent:

$77 = Keypad
$50 = FDRS 2-Day License
$125 = STIC J2534 Passthru VCI (but it works with FORScan, so I'm going to say this was an investment in future projects...I could also return or sell it)

I was able to do it from my driveway.
I was able to learn how to do it on my own, using Ford software.
Everything works, and I could use the same setup for programming replacement or additional FOBs.
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Ford dealer just put one on my wifes 20 Lariat and it was $100 for part and $100 to program. Only took them a few minutes. Bret