Programming Garage door opener

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Mine was easy to program and works great. I can open the garage from three houses away.
Sponsored

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Yep, these are the exact steps I tried.
Didn't work though.
Took me about 2 minutes to program my wife's car, and my Jeep, but no dice on the Ranger...
I am in the same boat. I tried programming from the motor (as above in the thread) and using a remote. No dice either way. It took me all of 5 minutes to program our Town & Country but I just can't get this to work for some reason.

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red
I programmed mine by pressing the button on the garage unit (not a new unit) and then following the rest of the directions. And like a couple of others, I can open the garage door at least 100 ft. farther away then I could with the original garage door remote. Very satisfied with it.

kjbeggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4
Once I got the hand-held transmitter back in my hands, it took all of two minutes to get it programmed

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I started on the process a few days ago, and gave up for the time being, content to use the remote that came with my garage door opener. I went to pick up my license plates the other day, and the sales rep mentioned they have someone on staff that will come to your house to program it. I would have eventually got around to it, but figured why not! Took him all of a few minutes to get it done. :)

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
OK, so I finally got mine programmed. When I had previously programmed my wife's van, I only had to program the opener motor. I guess Chrysler modules already have codes programmed and all you have to do is teach the opener to accept it. I had tried it that way with my Ranger and it didn't work. Next I tried programming the buttons in the Ranger from the remote but I did not go back and do the motor programming because I had already tried that (but in the wrong order). So, long story short...if you do exactly what the instruction manual says, in the CORRECT ORDER, it's a quick deal.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the same trouble. I'm not sure we even have a remote anymore, but I was able to program our C-Max using the "learn" function on the garage door opener. The process in the C-Max manual is exactly the same as in the Ranger manual, but it isn't working. I also programmed my 2005 Honda the same way and it worked fine. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

These are the steps from the manual:
  1. Press the learn button on the garage door opener motor and then you have 30 seconds to complete the next two steps.
  2. Return to your vehicle.
  3. Press and hold the function button you want to program for 2 seconds, then release. Repeat this step. Depending on your brand of garage door opener,you may need to repeat this sequence a third time
I even tried pulling my truck into the garage so it was REALLY close to the opener, but no change. The only thing I can think of is that I had the door open when I did it, so I tried it with the door closed and got the same results. I'm out of ideas....

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so I finally got mine programmed. When I had previously programmed my wife's van, I only had to program the opener motor. I guess Chrysler modules already have codes programmed and all you have to do is teach the opener to accept it. I had tried it that way with my Ranger and it didn't work. Next I tried programming the buttons in the Ranger from the remote but I did not go back and do the motor programming because I had already tried that (but in the wrong order). So, long story short...if you do exactly what the instruction manual says, in the CORRECT ORDER, it's a quick deal.
They are ALL HOMELINK modules. Nothing different between manufacturers.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No one has any suggestions? I'd like to program this, but I guess it isn't critical since my truck sits outside. I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
No one has any suggestions? I'd like to program this, but I guess it isn't critical since my truck sits outside. I'm just not sure what to do at this point.
Hi Rob, I'll be glad to help out. See, I was doing exactly what you are trying to do. I was trying to start with the step where you program the opener/motor. It worked that way with our van but not with my Ranger. I had to first program the button in my Ranger with the opener remote and THEN I programmed the motor from the truck (like you are describing). I tried it over and over with programming the motor first and then when I finally programmed the truck's button with the remote before trying to program the motor, it worked the first time. Try that and let me know how it goes.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob, I'll be glad to help out. See, I was doing exactly what you are trying to do. I was trying to start with the step where you program the opener/motor. It worked that way with our van but not with my Ranger. I had to first program the button in my Ranger with the opener remote and THEN I programmed the motor from the truck (like you are describing). I tried it over and over with programming the motor first and then when I finally programmed the truck's button with the remote before trying to program the motor, it worked the first time. Try that and let me know how it goes.
I will have to find a remote, but I can try that. Thanks for responding - hopefully that is the missing step. I had assumed that you didn't need to do that if you knew it was the kind of remote that couldn't be programmed directly (you HAVE to use the learn mode). That is what I recalled from prior attempts with other vehicles.

Once I find the remote I will let you know what happens.

Last edited:

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I will have to find a remote, but I can try that. Thanks for responding - hopefully that is the missing step. I had assumed that you didn't need to do that if you knew it was the kind of remote that couldn't be programmed directly (you HAVE to use the learn mode). That is what I recalled from prior attempts with other vehicles.

Once I find the remote I will let you know what happens.
Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

kjbeggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4
Sounds like a plan. Good luck!
Agree with RngerCat.
My Jeep (Chrysler product) was easy to program from the motor, without needing to perform the steps with the handheld transmitter first.
(Our daughter, who does not live with us, but visits often, carries our only handheld transmitter, as she has no in-vehicle homelink buttons).
For the Ranger, I COULD NOT program without the handheld transmitter. (As RangerCat said, apparently there are no "built-in codes" in the Ranger). Once I got the handheld, and followed those first steps, it was easy to get the Ranger working.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with RngerCat.
My Jeep (Chrysler product) was easy to program from the motor, without needing to perform the steps with the handheld transmitter first.
(Our daughter, who does not live with us, but visits often, carries our only handheld transmitter, as she has no in-vehicle homelink buttons).
For the Ranger, I COULD NOT program without the handheld transmitter. (As RangerCat said, apparently there are no "built-in codes" in the Ranger). Once I got the handheld, and followed those first steps, it was easy to get the Ranger working.
That is funny. Our daughter who does not live with us has our only remote too! She is coming to visit today so I will be able to test the theory. It makes sense.
Sponsored