Pre-Collision Assist Not Available

donkeylarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Hey all...brand new to the forum, appreciate any help or feedback in advance.
Just purchased brand new a 2020 XLT Super Crew w/ FX4 etc.
Absolutely love the truck.
At about the third time I turned on the ignition, the "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available" message pops up.
After reading more about it, I can understand issues when the sensor might be dirty or it's cold outside which both may have been the case the first time it appeared.
However for the past week, it shows up every single time I turn on the truck and the sensors couldn't be any more clean and clear and the temperature is about 65 degrees.
Is there anything else to check or try?!?
Very frustrating on a new truck with less than 100 miles on it.
Thanks again for any insight in advance.
Sponsored

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Did you do a search here? I don't recall that subject coming up. I'd read the manual and call the dealer service department. That's only happened to me in the snow and it auto corrected when it turned to rain.

OP
OP
donkeylarry

donkeylarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Did you do a search here? I don't recall that subject coming up. I'd read the manual and call the dealer service department. That's only happened to me in the snow and it auto corrected when it turned to rain.
I didn't see much about it on here, however was just approved to join or whatever recently. Just about all you can find in a general Google search etc.
It's kinda driving me crazy. Manual has nothing to offer about it and I did call dealership back and was told to bring it in next week, the salesman thought it might just be "throwing a code" whatever that means.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
As I think @P. A. Schilke would probably say, might be a loose connection somewhere. I think this issue has come up on here before and I think that was his response. Either way, something the dealer has to deal with.
Yes he did mention that. It’s on a thread on here somewhere. Connector was up by the battery area if I remember right.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Check your tire pressure. Just use the tire pressure readings available in the dashboard. Even if you don't have a tire that is low enough to trigger the tire pressure warning light, if your tire pressure is different enough on one side compared to the other, then some features like pre-collision assist or traction control might deactivate.

OP
OP
donkeylarry

donkeylarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Check your tire pressure. Just use the tire pressure readings available in the dashboard. Even if you don't have a tire that is low enough to trigger the tire pressure warning light, if your tire pressure is different enough on one side compared to the other, then some features like pre-collision assist or traction control might deactivate.
Thanks for those thoughts! I do recall the tire pressure being correct as I was searching for anything and everything scrolling thru the dash options etc. But will certainly check again and definitely going to try to hunt down the previous connection post.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for those thoughts! I do recall the tire pressure being correct as I was searching for anything and everything scrolling thru the dash options etc. But will certainly check again and definitely going to try to hunt down the previous connection post.
I had been getting that before and I thought it was only the radar sensor, but my truck was REALLY dirty. I washed it today, cleaning both the parking sensors and the radar unit and thus far, it appears to have gone away. The parking sensors seem to be EXTREMELY sensitive to ice or dirt.

Worth a try.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The collision alert doesn't use the parking sensors. It uses the camera up by the rear view mirror, same one used for lane keeping. If you have adaptive cruise control it also uses the radar sensor. No adaptive cruise control, no radar sensor. Try cleaning the windshield in front of the rear view mirror, might have a bug or dirt in front of the camera. If that doesn't work, you probably need to take it in.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The collision alert doesn't use the parking sensors. It uses the camera up by the rear view mirror, same one used for lane keeping. If you have adaptive cruise control it also uses the radar sensor. No adaptive cruise control, no radar sensor. Try cleaning the windshield in front of the rear view mirror, might have a bug or dirt in front of the camera. If that doesn't work, you probably need to take it in.
I had cleaned both the radar unit and the windshield prior and it didn't seem to resolve it, but after washing the truck today, it seems (knock on wood) to be gone. It was REALLY dirty.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
That only happened to me a couple of times, over last 15 months along with Hill Start Assist. Freaked me out at first, took it in and left it for the day at dealer, nothing wrong. Turns out I had one tire replaced due to nail puncture that could not be plugged. Problem went away in a day. The second time I swapped out all four wheels same thing got messaged for a day. Never since. So unofficially I would say tire related. Dirty windshield also could do it. I totally get with a brand new vehicle how this is alarming, knowing what I know now, don’t sweat it.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
That only happened to me a couple of times, over last 15 months along with Hill Start Assist. Freaked me out at first, took it in and left it for the day at dealer, nothing wrong. Turns out I had one tire replaced due to nail puncture that could not be plugged. Problem went away in a day. The second time I swapped out all four wheels same thing got messaged for a day. Never since. So unofficially I would say tire related. Dirty windshield also could do it. I totally get with a brand new vehicle how this is alarming, knowing what I know now, don’t sweat it.
I'll have to keep this in mind. I wasn't aware the TPMS system would shut down other safety systems even if it wasn't showing an alarm. That's a little scary.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
I'll have to keep this in mind. I wasn't aware the TPMS system would shut down other safety systems even if it wasn't showing an alarm. That's a little scary.
Might just be coincidence, I am quite handy and always ask the question “what changed” when a problem arises. In my case these were one offs, also it always happened at dusk so a dirty windshield could have been the reason.

OP
OP
donkeylarry

donkeylarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I've checked the connectors...all tight with a click.
Tire pressure is all good...42 on each tire.
Cleaned the windshield like no windshield has ever been cleaned before.
Wiped and cleaned all front bumper sensors.
"Pre-Collision Assist Not Available" continues to appear prior to ignition.

I'm going to make a visit to the car wash tomorrow and then try the dealership "code" thing when I get the chance.

Absolutely appreciate every response...keep em coming. I'm willing to try any and all suggestions at this point.

Just can't grasp how this doesn't work properly and that I couldn't even use Cruise Control if I wanted to with less than 200 miles on the truck.

Snow3d

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Subaru Forester XT
Occupation
Human
^^^^ I second this train of thought. 42 PSI is bit overinflated for an empty stock vehicle. If the system is as sensitive as it sounds...this may be the issue. Pretty easy to test.
Sponsored