First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RAM 3500, 2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I’m starting a new thread. I did read 2 other threads, but I think I found the problem. My question is, how did this happen and is it the likely culprit?

On ours (1.5 weeks in hand) Lariat Tremor with adaptive cruise, there is what appears to be a pine needle in the camera space between the camera and the windshield. How on earth can this happen ?

I’m hesitant to try popping covers off and removing. But I’m also hesitant to rely on a dealer to take a look for themselves especially when I bought the truck 6 hours away.

FDA8875A-0C45-475B-8C62-9B9471EE9ABB.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

samayeam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
seriously, theres other threads on it. it's normal. its supposed to be there.
some say its a defrost element, but its for the camera calibration
Thanks. I didn’t see mention of that in the 2 other threads.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
The precollision can become unavailable under certain lighting conditions like strong direct sunlight as well as strong rain or snow. The thing needs to be able to see to save you.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
There's a thin orange (?) line on the camera lens I assume it give the camera a reference point. That doesn't look like what I've seen.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
The "pine needle" is a heating element I believe. We all have one.

Kind of the the defroster you have on your rear window.

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
The pine needle is for the camera calibration. The camera works hand in hand with the radar to provide adaptive cruise, pre collision assist, and lane departure warning/assist.

I have only had the "not available" warning a couple times:
1. The camera was knocked out of calibration and required a dealer visit to recalibrate. This is evident when every single time the moment you turn the car on, you're instantly given the not available warning.
2. The radar was gunked up with snow/whatever ice melt crap they use here in CO
3. The radar was gunked up with dirt/mud

Generally speaking, if you get the not available warning, check your radar. Wipe it down and reboot the car. I'd only worry if it persists across multiple restarts in various lighting/weather conditions.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
You had my curiosity going so I went an looked at mine. It's probably the pic but mine is thinner an more yellow. I only got those alerts when the windshield would frost up.

precollision.jpg

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Wait a second I the ACC was for warning and the camera was for AEB. Two different systems, does your ACC work? If not it’s the radar sensor in the grill and maybe a bug attached itself to it.

OP
OP

samayeam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The pine needle is for the camera calibration. The camera works hand in hand with the radar to provide adaptive cruise, pre collision assist, and lane departure warning/assist.

I have only had the "not available" warning a couple times:
1. The camera was knocked out of calibration and required a dealer visit to recalibrate. This is evident when every single time the moment you turn the car on, you're instantly given the not available warning.
2. The radar was gunked up with snow/whatever ice melt crap they use here in CO
3. The radar was gunked up with dirt/mud

Generally speaking, if you get the not available warning, check your radar. Wipe it down and reboot the car. I'd only worry if it persists across multiple restarts in various lighting/weather conditions.
Thank you.

I got the first alert after getting off the highway. Had been using ACC on the highway.

Started it up 3 times aftercleaning windshield and radar sensor. Got the alert first thing after starting.

OP
OP

samayeam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I don’t yet have Forscan….doing all of this on the phone and we don’t get a good signal where we are presently.
I do have BlueDriver that has been good for my RAM 3500 and the Subaru the ranger replaced.

There is one code stored. C1001-1. Vision system camera general electrical failure.

I did just finish installing a supplemental braking system to allow the ranger to be flat towed(4 down) behind the big truck with camper. Everything worked fine and even used ACC on highway yesterday. I did the same install e trailer has a video of installing a Demco Stay-In-Play Duo on a 2021 ranger with ACC and pre collision assist.

I don’t think any wires I touched (brake light switch only) play into the camera?
I did that electrical tie in the day before and used ACC after as well…I guess something could have jiggled loose that shouldn’t.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
The "pine needle" is a heating element I believe. We all have one.

Kind of the the defroster you have on your rear window.
I made this comment before, and I don't think this area has anything to do with the OP's issue, but can anyone confirm if it's a heating element to defrost the camera area? Or is it some sort of calibration element as some have mentioned? (or maybe both) It's been discussed on the forum before and I think the consensus was heating element for defrosting the area. I haven't heard of calibration element until this thread.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
From the manual possible causes for unavailability:
Pre-Collision Assist not availabl | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

If a message regarding a blocked sensor or camera appears in the information display, the radar signals or camera images are obstructed. The radar sensor is located behind a fascia cover near the driver side of the lower grille. With an obstructed radar, the Pre-Collision Assist system does not function and cannot detect a vehicle ahead. With the front camera obstructed, the Pre-Collision Assist system does not respond to pedestrians or stationary vehicles and the system performance on moving vehicles reduces. The following table lists possible causes and actions for when this message displays.

Cause​
Action​
The surface of the radar in the grille is dirty or obstructed in some way.​
Clean the grille surface in front of the radar or remove the object causing the obstruction.​
The surface of the radar in the grille is clean but the message remains in the display.​
Wait a short time. It may take several minutes for the radar to detect that there is no obstruction.​
Heavy rain, spray, snow, or fog is interfering with the radar signals.​
The Pre-Collision Assist system is temporarily disabled. Pre-Collision Assist should automatically reactivate a short time after the weather conditions improve.​
Swirling water, or snow or ice on the surface of the road may interfere with the radar signals.​
The Pre-Collision Assist system is temporarily disabled. Pre-Collision Assist should automatically reactivate a short time after the weather conditions improve.​
Radar is out of alignment due to a front end impact.​
Contact an authorized dealer to have the radar checked for proper coverage and operation.​
The windshield in front of the camera is dirty or obstructed in some way.​
Clean the outside of the windshield in front of the camera.​
The windshield in front of the camera is clean but the message remains in the display.​
Wait a short time. It may take several minutes for the camera to detect that there is no obstruction.​

Note: Proper system operation requires a clear view of the road by the camera. Have any windshield damage in the area of the camera's field of view repaired.

OP
OP

samayeam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Dropped the wife of for an appointment while I ran errands. Alert that it was unavailable immediately on starting truck. Tried to set cruise on freeway-nothing happened (slowed down when foot off gas). Dropped her off without shutting engine off. Back on freeway and I look at the driver aid menu and it says it ACC is available. Tried it and it worked. Several stops and starts and a couple more 10 mile freeway jaunts and it all worked fine.

Checked codes after it started working again and got several more with the original one still there (I did not clear it). 2 generic BCM codes - B1247 (panel dim switch open circuit) and B115E (video encoder bus signal erratic message failure) 4 parking aid module codes- B1B42, B1B38, B1B36, B1B40 - basically one for each front park aid sensor saying short to ground or open.

cleared all codes and several on/off sequences as more errands were being run. Couple freeway stints wit ACC being used. No new codes.
Im guessing it could all be related to the main front bumper wire harness connection near drivers side headlight. Disconnected it and reconnected it at least 4 separate times as I had the bumper off for each of the 4 days I was using a lift to install all of the flat tow stuff.
Sponsored