Pre collision assist issue and Ford response

Topspin7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Hello. I have a 2020 Ranger XLT. When I first got the truck last November, I would get lights and sounds to alert me when the front of the truck was getting close to an object. For example, the garage door when parking in the driveway, rear bumper of another car in tight traffic, and when parking. It even went off in the car wash and a message would pop up which turned it off.
Last January, we had some morning frost in South Texas and I got a message light saying pre collision was turned off due to an obstruction. Light went away after a few hours and the frost melted away. Since then the front alerts completely stopped. No sounds no lights.
I took the truck into Ford to take a look. They plugged it in into their computer and no “codes” came up. The tech then looked at all the wiring. No issues. He then did a reboot of the system. They gave the truck back to me saying that the alerts and sounds when I first got the truck was the malfunction, and that it is not supposed to operate like that. It only alerts the driver when a collision is imminent. I took the truck back but liked the alerts and have a feeling they can’t figure it out. Does your Ranger give you the beeps and light warnings when you park, get close to another car, etc., Should I try taking it back to a different Ford dealership to take a look? I know there are a bunch of threads on pre collision on this site but wanted to know if some had any new info.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Actually mine only comes on if I get cutoff, coming up on an intersection fast and a car is stopped or very slow traffic on an exit ramp and I’m at highway speed with signal on to get off. Not sure where my sensitivity is set but it works fine as is for me. Never does any of the stuff you’re saying yours did previously

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Mine goes off when I'm parking it and get close to an object. It also just went off a couple days ago when I was coming to an intersection and the car in front of me was slowing to turn--red flashing light and the beeping. The parking sensors are warning of a close object and the collision avoidance is warning of a possible collision, just like they should.
I feel both of these are working the way they are intended to do and if they are not doing this, there is something wrong.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Ok then you have the round sensors in your front bumper and the speed control module options? 302A package?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
The pre-collision sensor is a camera behind the rear view mirror. It is not the same as the proximity sensors in the bumpers.

The camera for the pre-collision system was obscured by something (like frost).

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The sensors in your bumper are the Parking Asist sensors. This only work when you are traveling like less the 5 mph and will beep faster the closer until it it is a steady beep. A truck will show up on your center screen with with colored bars on either the front or back of the truck, they change color until they change to red. This means you are about 1 to 1.5 ft from the object. If these are obscured by mud or snow/ice they will trigger the warning as you slow down at a stop light and go away once you get above 5 mph again. Happen a lot in winter.

The pre-collision alert uses the ceta by the rear view mirror. It also uses the radar sensor in the lower grille if you have Adaptive Cruise Control. This warning comes up in the small center display of your dash, turns red and a steady squeal. If either of these sensors are obscured the system will be disabled and a notice will appear in the dash display. I believe this system is only active over 40 or 45 mph, hence the delayed notification.

Two different systems

OP
OP

Topspin7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
The audible and visual indications for the two system's are as different as how they operate.
If your not clear on the differences, you're not going to be clear explaining the perceived problem to a service technician.
They should be knowledgeable enough to ask the right questions and solve your situation.
Please read the manual to familiarize yourself as well as Google the Ford owners site for the videos on how they operate
I feel the tech considering fixing Fords is his bread and butter should be able to get to the issue by my act of bringing it in and being without the truck for a couple days. It’s not my job to do their job. Also, Ford has a “service agent” who acts as a go between and he did the actual talking to the tech. I feel that Ford as a company is incompetent and lower tier having owned other vehicles. Should NOT be this difficult to figure out whether the pre collision is working or not especially with their recent recalls.

Based on the comments I’m not satisfied that the issue was resolved but not much I can do, other than what I did. Will have to try a different dealership when I have the luxury to be without a vehicle for several days as Ford will not provide a loaner. For example, BWM provides a loaner for any issue, even for a couple hours without question.

Decided to take a chance on Ford. Bad choice so far. The pre-collision is not a major issue, at least the truck still runs and performs its basic function. But knowing that I’m driving a brand new truck with something broken isn’t what I call brand satisfaction. Belt tensioner broke a month ago. In the shop for 10 days. My wife calls this truck a piece of junk.

it will take a death or two for Ford to officially designate a recall on the pre-collision or at least deal with it seriously.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I feel the tech considering fixing Fords is his bread and butter should be able to get to the issue by my act of bringing it in and being without the truck for a couple days. It’s not my job to do their job. Also, Ford has a “service agent” who acts as a go between and he did the actual talking to the tech. I feel that Ford as a company is incompetent and lower tier having owned other vehicles. Should NOT be this difficult to figure out whether the pre collision is working or not especially with their recent recalls.

Based on the comments I’m not satisfied that the issue was resolved but not much I can do, other than what I did. Will have to try a different dealership when I have the luxury to be without a vehicle for several days as Ford will not provide a loaner. For example, BWM provides a loaner for any issue, even for a couple hours without question.

Decided to take a chance on Ford. Bad choice so far. The pre-collision is not a major issue, at least the truck still runs and performs its basic function. But knowing that I’m driving a brand new truck with something broken isn’t what I call brand satisfaction. Belt tensioner broke a month ago. In the shop for 10 days. My wife calls this truck a piece of junk.

it will take a death or two for Ford to officially designate a recall on the pre-collision or at least deal with it seriously.
Please go back to BMW where they are use to and paid more to deal with the boomer generation. :LOL:

OP
OP

Topspin7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
i believe the system is working as designed
i believe you dont understand how it works
go back to bmw
the problem with this statement is that multiple owners have said that their ranger functions the way mine USED to work. You are basically saying they are misunderstanding the way their truck works as well. Overall, the fact that Ford isn’t clear themselves about the way it’s supposed to work is a major problem. A Ford tech should be able to diagnose the problem and fix it instead of telling me some bs because they can’t figure it out.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Hello. I have a 2020 Ranger XLT. When I first got the truck last November, I would get lights and sounds to alert me when the front of the truck was getting close to an object. For example, the garage door when parking in the driveway, rear bumper of another car in tight traffic, and when parking. It even went off in the car wash and a message would pop up which turned it off.
Last January, we had some morning frost in South Texas and I got a message light saying pre collision was turned off due to an obstruction. Light went away after a few hours and the frost melted away. Since then the front alerts completely stopped. No sounds no lights.
I took the truck into Ford to take a look. They plugged it in into their computer and no “codes” came up. The tech then looked at all the wiring. No issues. He then did a reboot of the system. They gave the truck back to me saying that the alerts and sounds when I first got the truck was the malfunction, and that it is not supposed to operate like that. It only alerts the driver when a collision is imminent. I took the truck back but liked the alerts and have a feeling they can’t figure it out. Does your Ranger give you the beeps and light warnings when you park, get close to another car, etc., Should I try taking it back to a different Ford dealership to take a look? I know there are a bunch of threads on pre collision on this site but wanted to know if some had any new info.
Mine beeps as intended when I am parking in my garage or in a space. Same for a quick blip in the carwash. I would either have the dealer use a different tech or a new dealer. Mine ices up and I have to silence it manually that's the default.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My pre collision will sometimes go off when a car is turning right and I'm not that close but other than that it works as designed. So far everyone has given you sold advise which you wanted but fail to take. :facepalm: This is how the sensors operate and you can either turn them off or turn the sensitivity up or down. You can try bringing it to another dealer but if they tell you the same as the first one and you still don't believe them maybe it's time to accept the truck isn't at fault??

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Unrealistic expectations, coupled with misunderstanding and stubborn unwillingness to learn, are guaranteed to produce disappointment. Expecting authoritative technical information from internet forums is foolish. Relying on the knowledge and skill of a single technician is only slightly less foolish. Ford is the authoritative source. Ask for clarifying documentation.

Ford vs. BMW: I own both. They are very different products, built, sold, and serviced to serve significantly different customer expectations. BMW charges significantly more at initial sale, and at every parts and service event along the way, and that supports the "free because you already paid dearly for them" perks that they offer to owners. Each methodology has its own advantages and disadvantages. When you're at the Ford dealer, it never hurts to ask for a complimentary loaner car, but you shouldn't expect it under most circumstances, or be offended if none are available. That's not Ford's business model. The Ford service advisor will certainly be able to recommend a rental company that will deliver a car to the dealership for you.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I just love people who expect to be treated like royalty. Here is my car it no worky fix it free and be quick about it. Or I seek asylum in your soon to be mine country. Where is free stuff, I need some. Joe invited me.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Ok then you have the round sensors in your front bumper and the speed control module options? 302A package?
I have the round sensors in the bumper, but I have the 301A package.
Sponsored