First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have a couple of stupid questions.
1) Why not wear your firearm on your hip in a holster?
2) Why would you shop at locations that do not allow for concealed carry?

I wear mine on my hip when I need to, and I have a permit to carry (which mean open or concealed).
Well, with the seat belt on, it is not very easy to draw from my holster. Takes time to undo seatbelts, move enough to access...etc.

Plus on long trips it is much more comfortable to remove from holster.

I went with Molle backed seat covers.
Have a holster mounted to the back of the passenger seat for when I am driving.

It is much easier and faster to simply reach it in that location, and is not visible from out of the vehicle......but I have yet to leave it there when i am out of the vehicle
Sponsored

en13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 2WD
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't (there's not much room back there) but I saw these hangers on Amazon which seem like they might work out. If not they're cheap and Amazon takes anything back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY2Q16...olid=3NLJUFY7EMDEV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Headrest Gun Rack.jpg
A pistol fits nicely, but I've not found a good mount yet. I keep a moving blanket behind the seat for the dog, and if I just set it on the blanket and put the seat back it won't go anywhere. I'd certainly like to find a secure mount though.

Legalkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 Sport, 1994 XLT, 1979 F-100
I got my Universal mount for the Vaultek Slider Safe.

Here it is in my wife's Ranger and in my Civic. Works ok in both. Not sure I would have chosen if I didn't have the Vaultek Slider Vault, but I decided to use what I got. A lot more space in Ranger but will kill passenger legroom in both. I think I will try to cue up the Phone bluetooth app to open rather a blind biometric scan for efficiency.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Phantom Quickdraw (https://vulcanarms.com/collections/holsters-mounts) makes a myriad of vehicle-mounted holsters for almost every semi-auto out there.

One unique feature, I believe, is the fact the gun can have an unloaded chamber. Yet, if you push the holster "holder" away from you, the mount allows the gun to be cocked and chamber loaded, and then easily pulled out of its mount.

All this said, before you go out and buy something like this, make darn sure your state laws allow this. It doesn't here in New Mexico, but not neighboring Texas, with out a CCP.

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Well I attached mine
20200417_183049.jpg
20200417_183104.jpg
20200417_183113.jpg
I'm really liking the idea and looks of this type mount as opposed to a holster mounted in the back of the passenger seat pocket (my other option)...but am wondering how hard it is to take the weapon off the magnet, and does it seem to stress the plastic the magnet is screwed to?

I'm also semi-inclined to put a magnet like this under the steering column, but am wary of maybe screwing into something I could irreparably damage. Any sage advice you all can offer me is deeply appreciated!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm really liking the idea and looks of this type mount as opposed to a holster mounted in the back of the passenger seat pocket (my other option)...but am wondering how hard it is to take the weapon off the magnet, and does it seem to stress the plastic the magnet is screwed to?

I'm also semi-inclined to put a magnet like this under the steering column, but am wary of maybe screwing into something I could irreparably damage. Any sage advice you all can offer me is deeply appreciated!
Hi Chris, You can see here where I mounted mine. It's on the side of the console just where the side meets the underside of the dash. For me it works great there and has never moved even while off road. The magnets are very strong so when you go to take the weapon off the magnet all you need to do is twist to the left and pull and it comes right off.

Last edited:

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Hi Chris, You can see here where I mounted mine. It's on the side of the console just where the side meets the underside of the dash. For me it works great there and has never moved even while off road. The magnets are very wrong so when you go to take the weapon off the magnet all you need to do is twist to the left and pull and it comes right off.
Thanks much. I appreciate you!

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I use the Phantom, QuickDraw (phantom holsters.com). They make it for a variety of semi-automatics.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Ill see if I can get some pictures today. I use molle panels for my seats, so the easiest thing for me was to look in my spare parts / holster box and see what I could come up with. I could do the magnet thing as well.

Basically I have a spare blackhawk serpa holster and the blackhawk strike attachment (molle) so I put a Glock 27 on the passenger side molle panel with the holster canted towards me. Then all I have to do is reach my (draw) hand behind the passenger seat and release the pistol.

Not as quick as a pistol mounted in the driver area, but as they say, good enough for government work (without having to drill holes).

I also have a CZ Scorpion EVO Micro-K SBR with a Gemtech MK9K that folds up small enough to fit in a medium size assault pack that sits in the back.

DSC05126.jpg

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ill see if I can get some pictures today. I use molle panels for my seats, so the easiest thing for me was to look in my spare parts / holster box and see what I could come up with. I could do the magnet thing as well.

Basically I have a spare blackhawk serpa holster and the blackhawk strike attachment (molle) so I put a Glock 27 on the passenger side molle panel with the holster canted towards me. Then all I have to do is reach my (draw) hand behind the passenger seat and release the pistol.

Not as quick as a pistol mounted in the driver area, but as they say, good enough for government work (without having to drill holes).

I also have a CZ Scorpion EVO Micro-K SBR with a Gemtech MK9K that folds up small enough to fit in a medium size assault pack that sits in the back.

DSC05126.jpg
I have the CZ Scorpion Evo 3 with a Omega 9K on it. This is my favorite gun,dead on accurate and reliable! I was going to get the Micro then this mess hit and prices are insane now.

IMG_2019.jpg

Last edited:

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
F26A6C43-1B2A-4B1E-B3BD-3E42B608EC19.jpeg

3E5CD40F-22CA-4D5E-BC6C-C9C05C66077F.jpeg

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd not bother with vehicle mounted holsters for pistols. It should either be locked up inaccessible in your vehicle or directly on your person. Bear with me while I explain! :D

1. The vehicle is a coffin. If you can't quickly accelerate away from (or over) the threat, you need to exit the vehicle and move to hard cover. It takes no skills for an assailant to engage you while your seated and immobile in your vehicle, all while they have the freedom of movement. They have a fixed aiming point while you will have to track a moving target. Sitting in your car has got to be one of the worse places to get into a gunfight. Get out of the car.

2. Un-assing your vehicle in a gunfight without your gun directly on your person may really suck. If it's fixed to some part of your vehicle's interior, most likely it will stay there when "it" hits the fan and your brain starts trying to figure out what to do and in a hurry. If the gun is on your person, it leaves the vehicle with you during that really bad situation.

3. Good training and practice are invaluable. And in this case, I mean training on how to get out of the holster while seated. Training on how to ditch your seat belt. Training on how to quickly AND safely exit your vehicle with your weapon in hand. Training how to engage in and around your car (VCQB - Vehicle Close Quarter Battle). Training on what parts of your vehicle are good for cover and what parts are only good for concealment. Training how to get on target with your family in the same vehicle with you, without pointing your business end at their pumpkins. Your wife may be a little cross with you afterwards if you make her look down the barrel of your pistol. But with the proper training, you'll be able to get out of the holster while seated, blindingly fast.

:D

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Think your missing some points. For example, my pistol is on me when I'm erect or for very short drives. If not, (long drives), it is attached next to my knee. Whether a magnet, holster, etc., I don't think anyone has the intent of leaving it holstered in a vehicle while away. If I cannot carry it with me when about, it gets locked in my vault in my truck. Plain and simple. The only thing you're limited to is if you mount an actual holster without interchangeable mounts. If if you switch out your carry, that's an issue.

So, if you'd rather pull your gun out of your waist, your crotch or otherwise, rather than have it convenient less than 6 inches from your hand which means, not changing your position or contorting yourself, have at it.

I guarantee my gun will be trained on a target before you say o'oh shite'!
Sponsored