First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I have two of these.

One for my phone on the left side of windshield, a second to hold my Fenix Mini controller.

Never had them budge so much as a millimetre. I suspect the strength of the magnet would call for a very high speed crash to possibly come off, a crash so bad I probably wouldn't survive anyhow let alone leaving a phone imprint on my face.

Once I got my first magnet holder any sort of clamp holder was a long gone distant memory. Works with any phone, any case, any type of device really.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L3Q7Y4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20210416_191109.jpg

61ODn4vTnLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

IMG_20210416_191134.jpg

OP
OP
Spence's bumper sticker

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
I have two of these.

One for my phone on the left side of windshield, a second to hold my Fenix Mini controller.

Never had them budge so much as a millimetre. I suspect the strength of the magnet would call for a very high speed crash to possibly come off, a crash so bad I probably wouldn't survive anyhow let alone leaving a phone imprint on my face.

Once I got my first magnet holder any sort of clamp holder was a long gone distant memory. Works with any phone, any case, any type of device really.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L3Q7Y4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wow so the magnet is strong enough to hold on to a phone inside an Otterbox? I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Bulletpoint mounting solutions. It’s expensive but it won’t shake loose off-roading on washboards.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Out of curiosity, why mount the phone when you can access phone calls directly on SYNC display? With Apple Car Play or Android Auto you can get maps and audio streaming apps control on the display. AA even lets you use voice to text for SMS.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Out of curiosity, why mount the phone when you can access phone calls directly on SYNC display? With Apple Car Play or Android Auto you can get maps and audio streaming apps control on the display. AA even lets you use voice to text for SMS.
Yep. My phone "mount" is the tray in front of the shifter.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Sometimes you are feeling a different song you know you want to hear and can quickly access Spotify with better UI on the phone. Sometimes you don’t want other members in the car to hear your text but want to read it briefly to know what’s it’s about. Sometimes you can have a nice video recorder of your front windshield or a picture of the car in front of you with two clicks and positioned nicely. Sometimes I have a different app not compatible with sync on my phone displayed as a secondary screen. Bunch of random little quality of life things. Plus, I like not having the cord so loose so having it up all the way makes it so I don’t accidentally wrap my cord around my 4x4 switcher and accidentally hitting 4hi. Done multiple times because I’m an idiot sandwich ?

OP
OP
Spence's bumper sticker

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Bulletpoint mounting solutions. It’s expensive but it won’t shake loose off-roading on washboards.
This looks like a pretty nice solution, but it says an Otterbox won't fit. Max dimensions are 3.4" x .5", and the Otterbox Defender for iPhone XR is slightly over those dimensions.
Also there is a disclaimer that the magnetic solution won't allow for wireless charging.
I'll reach out to the company and see what they suggest. Thanks for the lead.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Wow so the magnet is strong enough to hold on to a phone inside an Otterbox? I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

I would assume so? You basically mount the opposing magnet on the inside or outside of your case?

I use a Sonim XP8, a giant heavy brick of a phone. They don't make readily available case for this phone... it is its own case.

I just stuck the magnet on the back of it. lol

sonim-xp8-header.jpg

Phone-dropping-gif-07-11-11_07_57.gif

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
This looks like a pretty nice solution, but it says an Otterbox won't fit. Max dimensions are 3.4" x .5", and the Otterbox Defender for iPhone XR is slightly over those dimensions.
Also there is a disclaimer that the magnetic solution won't allow for wireless charging.
I'll reach out to the company and see what they suggest. Thanks for the lead.
Ahh dang, I forgot some otter box are really quite large. I had a different otter box for my XR. It was a clear slimmer design. Fit perfectly. No problem on the lead, I think there is another company that makes a similar mounting system. Let me try to find it for you

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I use 2 different maps when I am offroading. This allows me to see both.

Yep. My phone "mount" is the tray in front of the shifter.
I do this when I am driving around town, but on offroad trails, it bounces and bangs and makes lots of noise that drives me nuts.

I can third, or fourth, or whatever number we're on Bullet Point. I got their kit and adapted a Quadlock case and mount onto it. Very stout and very good.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I do this when I am driving around town, but on offroad trails, it bounces and bangs and makes lots of noise that drives me nuts.
If I'm doing a trail, map gets me to head of the trail, then phone usually gets put into center console to be retrieved at the end.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Again, I see no need for a mount in our vehicles, having Android Auto/CarPlay makes it pointless.

However, in my milk truck I use this guy.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN14WB

Works on my S20 5g in an OtterBox case. And they have multiple sizes.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I have an Otterbox Defender also, but I took the "easy" way around....I cut a hole in the back of the case, stuck the steel disc to the phone. Simple and effective.

OP
OP
Spence's bumper sticker

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
I have two of these.

I picked up the Apps2car mount. Used the sticky on the dash between the instrument cluster and center tray. Only problem I've had so far is the magnet is not adhering to the back of the Otterbox. So, I put the magnet in between the plastic case and rubber shell. Works good so far. Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored