Phone Mount

Legalkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 Sport, 1994 XLT, 1979 F-100
So I just got the cheapest ($5) suction cup bendy arm mount from walmart when my wife first got her truck, thinking I would just get her by with this since she was traveling and deciding on what bests fits. We put it on the left side so it fits right above the vent, out of the way, Draped a 3 foot cord from the left power port with a slim dual usb over steering column. It works perfectly and is out of the way. It actually may be the "permanent" solution. I'll add a pic when I can get one.

IMG_20200517_170230136.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I don't see the desire to have the phone screen visible when driving. I plug mine in, and it just sits out of the way in the little tray next to the usb ports. Everything I need to do can be accessed from either the Sync3 display or the steering wheel controls.

Plus, this conforms to my desire to keep an uncluttered space.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't see the desire to have the phone screen visible when driving. I plug mine in, and it just sits out of the way in the little tray next to the usb ports. Everything I need to do can be accessed from either the Sync3 display or the steering wheel controls.

Plus, this conforms to my desire to keep an uncluttered space.
I use mine a lot for the maps so I need to have it visible. There are so many new developments around here I can use the phone GPS because it constantly updates. I refuse to pay for the Sync updates after paying almost $40K for a truck! They did the same when I had my Tacoma and my phone worked out just fine.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I use mine a lot for the maps so I need to have it visible. There are so many new developments around here I can use the phone GPS because it constantly updates. I refuse to pay for the Sync updates after paying almost $40K for a truck! They did the same when I had my Tacoma and my phone worked out just fine.
On mine, when I connect my phone the built-in nav is disabled and my phone nav appears on the screen.

I don't think I've ever used the built-in nav for anything. I tried it once to see the "breadcrumbs" feature but never actually used it.

It's been a few months now and I'm still loving my $12 Amazon phone mount.

Mine is up in the dash tray and I've had no overheating issues as of yet.

Perhaps that may change during summer? ?

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
no prob with maps on android auto. *shrug*

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
My issue with putting the phone below the dash is reception. The tray on top seems to let the phone overheat in the sun.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
My issue with putting the phone below the dash is reception. The tray on top seems to let the phone overheat in the sun.
I haven't had much trouble there. I was concerned I would have reception issues (esp with the GPS), but it's been okay.

I've also had phone overheating issues when I used a dash mount on previous vehicles. I've definitely wanted to avoid that particular problem.

I was pretty pleased to learn that I can use my phone with Android Auto for nav alongside my old ipod touch for music. My old ipod is too old for Apple CarPlay, so it just gets read as a generic USB storage device. That's my music method of choice for long road trips and trips into the mtns. All controllable through the Sync display.

I'm tempted to activate the hotspot on the truck so I can shunt data usage while driving to an unlimited plan (maps, especially, but also to mix up my music selection via streaming). Only concern there is that Verizon is more reliable where I live (what my phone is on), so I'm not sure how much I'll lose by running data through the truck's modem.

HeavyDuty

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' XLT - Fox 2.0 Perf. 2" lift front & Fox rear)
Occupation
Builder
Where do you mount the phone holder in your Ranger. I've been using a vent clip but just wondering what other options are being used.
Pics welcome.
Thx

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor

a6m5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XL
This isn't for everybody, but I ordered this today(just the base/bracket):

builtright.JPG

-LINK-

I just got my Ranger, need to find ways to mount phone + portable GPS somewhere & really liked this placement on dash tray area for something like RAM phone/Garmin mounts.

I'm hoping I can install it in a way I can still utilize the room between the tray & "dash mount" for this & that.

Fasd1421

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Fx4, 1990 Mustang LX SSP, 1999 Triumph Speed Triple
This isn't for everybody, but I ordered this today(just the base/bracket):

builtright.JPG

-LINK-

I just got my Ranger, need to find ways to mount phone + portable GPS somewhere & really liked this placement on dash tray area for something like RAM phone/Garmin mounts.

I'm hoping I can install it in a way I can still utilize the room between the tray & "dash mount" for this & that.
I have had that mount for about two years. You can mount it toward the back and still slide a cellphone or whatnot in the front. I did have some issues with the bolts sticking out too far through the bottom and hitting dash parts under the tray and had to do some cutting. I also now get an occasional rattle from the tray that I can't fix.

a6m5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XL
I have had that mount for about two years. You can mount it toward the back and still slide a cellphone or whatnot in the front. I did have some issues with the bolts sticking out too far through the bottom and hitting dash parts under the tray and had to do some cutting. I also now get an occasional rattle from the tray that I can't fix.
I read about the possibility of screws possibly hitting. Rattle is the concern though. Thank you for the heads up!

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
Thanks for that information. Will probably just try the Scosche Magic Mount Pro from Costco and see if there's a place on the console or dash that works.
I tried this, could only get it to stick to windscreen, which worked, but left a blind spot and was a pain with cable running to centre console.

I now use Scosche CD Player Magic Mount. Perfect height, out of the way, never, ever moved. So good, that after a few months, even my wife has caved and now has one too.
Sponsored