First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The answer is because Hawaii is Toyota mecca, the four top selling vehicles in Hawaii are:
  1. Toyota Tacoma
  2. Toyota 4 Runner
  3. ToyotA RAV 4
  4. Toyota Corolla
Compounded by the fact that the Ranger was missing from the market for 8 years.
Locals are "conditioned" to assume that any new vehicle bought here would be a Toyota.

IMO, the only salient feature the Taco has going for it is resale value, all others (if any) truly evade me.
Other features... Durability. We spent a decade on Maui starting in the mid 90's. You know, just look around at all the old Toyota pickups (and cars) there in Hawaii... that are just beat to shit... that are still going strong.

We ended up selling our place and leaving Maui because there were so many people there it was nearly impossible to drive anywhere.... I'll bet it's gridlock now, isn't it?

We still miss it... but I bet visiting there now would just be heartbreaking in retrospect.

Did you ever get your sill plates installed? Use clear silicone... it works great.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
My solution to missing door sill scuff plates.

I found this forum before I ordered my 2019 Ranger.

Thanks to this forum I spent a lot of money before delivery on items posted in this forum.

But after delivery I also noticed that there were not any door sill scuff plates. I did not like the stainless steel factory jobs nor the aftermarket ones that go below the door sills.

Since I sold my 2008 Ranger for this 2019, I remembered that it had really cool sill scuff plates.

Looking up the part numbers on Ford Dealer parts pages the part numbers never matched the parts pictures displayed.

I found the scuff plates here. https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-scuff-plate-f37z1013260a

Part Number F37Z-1013260-A. They fit either right or left.

The material is pretty close to the Weather Tech mat material. Some type of vinyl rubber/plastic.

My 2008 Ranger was a 4 door extra cab so the scuff plate was close to 4 feet long which is too long for the super crew 2019. So I ordered the scuff plate for the 2008 Ranger 2-Door. The scuff plate was about 33 inches long.

I used a table saw to trim the width, about 1/8" on each side, and cut off each end to make the length about 21 inches. I used a belt grinder to remove the 6 tabs off the back that were obviously for securing it to the door sill on the 2008 Ranger.

From the parts diagram on Tasca Parts you can see a facsimile of the tabs.

Once done, I mounted the scuff plates with double sided tape. The foam style, not the thin stuff. Hopefully this will hold up for several years. If not, renewing the tape will be easy.

The picture shown here is the front drivers side. I'll get two more of them for the back doors. The rear doors are smaller so I'll need to trim even more off the plates.

Sill 1.jpg
I ordered a pair two months ago. Finally arrived. Can$75 all in (shipping, exchange, duty). Still cheaper and better looking than other solutions. Thanks for the tips. I'm about to start trimming them to fit.

PJVet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
I ordered a pair two months ago. Finally arrived. Can$75 all in (shipping, exchange, duty). Still cheaper and better looking than other solutions. Thanks for the tips. I'm about to start trimming them to fit.
Well that was an easy half hour install on the front door sills of my supercrew.
  1. Cut off the tabs on the backs with my Dremmel reciprocating saw (straight blade).
  2. Trimmed the 3.5" off each end with the Dremmel (round carbide blade) after marking the cuts with masking tape.
  3. Trimmed off the top 1/4" flat edge with a 1/4" blade in my bandsaw, cut very easily, went slow.
  4. Cleaned the edges with 80 grit sandpaper.
  5. Made round corners on the two outer corners.
  6. Cleaned the backs of the protectors with isopropyl alcohol then buffed them with sandpaper.
  7. Cleaned the truck sills with isopropyl alcohol.
  8. Marked the locations of the ends with masking tape, just at the corners where they start to curve up.
  9. Applied two strips of Gorilla two-side tape. The roll I got said 60" so I cut four 7" strips each side but ended about 3" short, still lots of hold I think.
  10. Then applied the sill protectors and pressed them on.
Came out looking pretty good. I'm happy.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Well that was an easy half hour install on the front door sills of my supercrew.
  1. Cut off the tabs on the backs with my Dremmel reciprocating saw (straight blade).
  2. Trimmed the 3.5" off each end with the Dremmel (round carbide blade) after marking the cuts with masking tape.
  3. Trimmed off the top 1/4" flat edge with a 1/4" blade in my bandsaw, cut very easily, went slow.
  6. Cleaned the backs of the protectors with isopropyl alcohol then buffed them with sandpaper.
  8. Marked the locations of the ends with masking tape, just at the corners where they start to curve up.
  9. Applied two strips of Gorilla two-side tape. The roll I got said 60" so I cut four 7" strips each side but ended about 3" short, still lots of hold I think.
Picture?

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
Ordered today from Tasca for about $33 total. The only other good option was Tufskinz, see picture, nice but 3x more expensive.

B3D72D93-B621-4E51-8F68-F384AD1E4945.png

richmondjd11

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Military

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Im interested in these as well but am curious how they would look on the ranger. Not sure how far up the door sill on the side they go and if i would like that look.
Certain color Rangers they look good on. Also depends on what accessories you have.

My concern is what the road gunk (Mag Chloride, Salt, Etc.) that gets trapped between these and the rockers will do over years of being trapped in there.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Certain color Rangers they look good on. Also depends on what accessories you have.

My concern is what the road gunk (Mag Chloride, Salt, Etc.) that gets trapped between these and the rockers will do over years of being trapped in there.
Is that part of our trucks even steel?

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

I was actually debating if I was gonna use bedliner around the lower edge of the truck. Maybe bedliner would work for the doorsill too and you wouldn't have to worry about that.

:facepalm: I feel like my entire truck is gonna be bedlined before it turn 4 years old ?

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
And ... they have vanished. Simply disappeared. The Gorilla tape is still there but the protectors are ... just ... gone
Sponsored