dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
What Mike said.

Manual doesn't say that it needs changed sooner, so probably not. I went ahead and did my first change at 2000 miles just because it made me feel better, but honestly it probably didn't make an appreciable difference in the engine lifespan.
Gotcha. Appreciate it
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just follow the manual. Everything else is a waste of your money and resources. I had to change mine at 5000 miles because 1 year had gone by.
Hi Chuck,

I changed at the 1 year mark with only 1650 miles on the odo....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I did my oil change in June, 9 months of owning my Ranger I had 6,500 miles. Oil life was 20%. I could of let it go till the OIl life came on, but we had. a road trip up north, and I wanted to get a fresh oil for this trip. if I recalled my app says est oil change would of been about 7,500 miles.

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT FX4 WHITE
I was concerned with a break in oil change for the 1000 mile mark. Called the dealer and they said there's no break in anymore and to go by the computer. Started seeing posts about fuel in oil here. I checked mine. It didn't have a raised level but it did look a bit dirty and smelled like fuel. I ended up taking it to a quick lane just shy of 2500. They stated that their dealership requires 6 month/5000 for warranty. This seems like a reasonable interval especially since it already smells like fuel since it's been changed. I will be watching.

Last edited:

Blakebird

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercab
I had the dealer in CO do the break-in oil change, a couple months ago we moved to southern NM and I had it done at the recommended interval at a dealer here....
In the hot summer months driving it around town I'll do it more often, otherwise at recommended intervals.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I've heard from some sources that waiting until the 10K mark to change the oil would be foolish. That the turbo charged engine puts more pressure and heat on the oil, and should be changed sooner? That makes sense to me, but what are other peoples ideas? And what oil brand are people using?
You cannot change oil too often. All you can do is waste your money if you choose to do so.

As a rule, I change the oil on most of my cars at 5,000 mile intervals, even though the recommended interval today for most cars is much longer. (I have one car that gets driven much less than that annually, so I do a change on it before putting it up for the winter) The main reason is that intervals of 5,000 miles is easy to keep track of.

If your driving is relatively light duty, then 10,000 miles is just as easy to keep track of. But since I do a lot of towing, I consider it best to stay on the 5,000 mile interval. I use synthetic oil, and when I bought my Ranger I paid for unlimited oil changes for 7 years. I'll likely be due for the 2nd change on my 2019 in a month or so.

Truckee Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4 x 4; 2015 Nissan Murano; 2019 Honda CRF 250F; 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan;
Occupation
Construction Consultant
I chickened out at 5,000 miles, partly because it was the start of summer. I go back and forth between the mountains and the Sacramento Valley, and it gets really hot in the valley. I think I will stick with 5,000-mile intervals so that I can schedule a tire rotation with every other oil change.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
To those that have their dealer change their oil, be sure and ask them if they use "pure synthetic" or blend. I've had dealers tell me it's synthetic but when asked if it's one or the other they either don't know or will tell you it's a blend. If it's blend, consider changing more often than you would with pure synthetic.

Pure synthetic will "coke" or break down at a much higher temperature than the dyno side of blend Remember too your turbo turns at about 50,000 RPM at idle and about 200,000 at WOT. Couple that with start/stop which shuts down water cooling as well as oil cooling and lubrication and that just can't be good for turbo life. It also depends on how long you intend to keep your vehicle. Saving it for the next guy?

As far as lubrication goes, it's not oil that's the problem, it's the additive package, which is consumable. Synthetic oil has a couple of main advantages; it gets to where it's suppose to go quicker, at all temperatures, due to its very stable viscosity, and it does not break down at extreme temperatures. Today's engines run a lot hotter than previous generations of engines. Remember also, most all wear occurs in the first 10 minutes after start from cold. You want oil to your turbo as soon as possible. This is particularly important in cold climates, less so in temperate and hot climates.

Remember too, although your temperature gauge may indicate normal, it can take up to 20 miles to fully warm the oil. The temperature gauge on my RS won't begin to move (starts at 120 degrees) for 6-10 miles, long after the water temperature indicates it at normal temp. Once your oil is warm, a lot of contaminates such as water vapor will burn off. That's why short drives are hard on an engine.

Want to start a fight, just bring up oil type and change intervals. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is different. Thankfully, vehicles today are pretty tolerant.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Ford dealer will be changing my oil every 5K miles for the next couple of years (it's "free").
Then I'll have my local guy doing it every 5K miles til the truck dies.
At least that's the plan...
The Dealer told me FordPass was Valid one year from purchase, if you’re using that option.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I was concerned with a break in oil change for the 1000 mile mark. Called the dealer and they said there's no break in anymore and to go by the computer. Started seeing posts about fuel in oil here. I checked mine. It didn't have a raised level but it did look a bit dirty and smelled like fuel. I ended up taking it to a quick lane just shy of 2500. They stated that their dealership requires 6 month/5000 for warranty. This seems like a reasonable interval especially since it already smells like fuel since it's been changed. I will be watching.
Who is "They". I change mine every 4,000 miles just because I want to.... but whoever told you "6 month/5000 for warranty" is full of shit up to their ears.... to coin a phrase.

Ask them to put that in writing... you'll get to see them backstroking like Greg Louganis :handsinair:

The warranty is based on what is stated in the Owners Manual... not what some salesman says or some guy in the service department says. Read your manual, and if somebody starts telling you that you have to do something different, ask them to show you in writing where it states that, and then ask for a copy and have them sign and date it.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
Just had my first oil change at the dealership. Hard to turn down a freebee. Odometer read 2545 miles. I am old school, oil is cheaper than metal. I plan to change oil at 5k intervals. I will switch to Mobile 1.

Deleted member 1634

my dealer follows a different schedule than what Ford recommends.
they send me notices for 8000km changes. My oil monitor pushes almost double that.

my compromise....i start thinking about when i will schedule my oil change when i get the notice....depending on what i am doing, the convenience of doing it early may be beneficial, or doing it later.
i just know I wont exceed the oil monitor ever.
My dealer also still puts the little sticker in the upper corner of the windshield for the next change 5000 miles later. First thing I do when I get in the truck is take that thing off and throw it away.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I am changing mine every 5k also to include tire rotation. I'm driving 120+ miles a day, mostly highway, for at least the next year. Just had my second one completed yesterday. I just didn't like the that the dealer didn't update the service in Ford pass. I've logged every thing I done in that app. Love not having to keep a second record book.

I think I am going to follow you guy's advice and go full synthetic on the next one. I let them use the recommended oil the first two times. I don't like them little stickers either. Especially with my windshield tinted.
Sponsored