First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
Yes, I got that little sticker too. Ford can't give you a driver's side grab handle because it may block your view, but they can give you a sticker to block your view. GO FORD!
Sponsored

dalerenbjor

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2002 Ford Ranger Edge
Occupation
Senior Technician Video
I have free oil change coupons and a couple of point related and even an "essential worker" offer. What I do not understand is the push by my dealer that I am required to change my oil every 5000 miles or every six months whichever comes first. It is likely it will be a year and a half before we hit 5K the way we drive. If I follow the 5K rule I can't see how that would effect my warranty. The dealer seems a bit adamant but I am not convinced oil breaks down sitting in the garage, Florida or not. Any feedback from would be appreciated.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have free oil change coupons and a couple of point related and even an "essential worker" offer. What I do not understand is the push by my dealer that I am required to change my oil every 5000 miles or every six months whichever comes first. It is likely it will be a year and a half before we hit 5K the way we drive. If I follow the 5K rule I can't see how that would effect my warranty. The dealer seems a bit adamant but I am not convinced oil breaks down sitting in the garage, Florida or not. Any feedback from would be appreciated.
Hi Dale,

I got a message on my dash to change my oil. ODO was 1500 miles. It was a year old from the date I purchased. Seems the algorithm used to pop up the "Change Engine Oil Soon" has a time element in it. So I changed it and reset the oil minder nanny nag.

This is just an FYI...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Follow what the manual says. Period.

Call Ford Customer Relations: 1-800-392-3673 tell them your dealer is specifying 5,000 mile oil change intervals. Ask them for guidance on how to proceed. If they tell you to follow the dealerships specifications, tell them you want it in writing, signed and dated, for warranty purposes.

dalerenbjor

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2002 Ford Ranger Edge
Occupation
Senior Technician Video
Thanks. Good advice.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Add a fumoto valve and change your own oil. It’s rather simple. Takes no time. I wouldn’t pay a dealer to change the oil on this truck.

Madtel4

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT-FX4, 2020 Ford Explorer ST, & 2018 Mustang GT
I understand that the filter is a SOB to change. I have not had my oil changed as I only have 1480 miles on it.
Lee

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Filter is easy. The spill system makes it easy to keep it simple and not messy.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have a few size an style oil filter wrenches an had to buy one like this to get the filter off my ranger. $8 at harbor freight an it works great.

filter wrench.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that the filter is a SOB to change. I have not had my oil changed as I only have 1480 miles on it.
Lee
I found it to be one of the easier filters to change. I think they did a great job with it. The hardest part was figuring out where the tray was going to drain. I was worried about it before I did my first oil change but those fears quickly disappeared.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I'm sure that how Ford has the computer set up for oil changes is similar to how Chrysler has it. I know on all my Jeeps and 1 Dodge, that the interval between oil changes was/is effected on several variable: how you drive (city/highway, putt around or WO) and also if you pull a trailer often or not.

On my 2002 Jeep Liberty, 2009 Dodge Durango, and 2018 Jeep Renegade, the intervals were anywhere from 5,000 miles to 10,000 miles depending on how I drove and if I pulled a trailer often. On my 2016 Cherokee I usually go about 8,000-9,000 miles before the computer says to change the oil if I do not pull a trailer. When I pull a trailer on a regular basis the interval is between 5,000 and 6,000 miles.

I am only at 926 miles on my Ranger and will watch to see how the computer does and how many miles before it says to change the oil. With 926 miles, the computer and Ford Pass says that I am at 80% oil life remaining.

I usually change the oil when oil life gets to 10%-15% unless I am doing a lot of heavy hauling/towing. If I'm doing a lot of hauling or towing, I'll change it sooner.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Lee
I was worried about this at first since it's behind the left front wheel, but it turned out to be pretty easy. The first change was made unnecessarily difficult by the factory filter being installed way too tight, but the little built-in channel kept everything clean, and installation of the new filter was as easy as can be.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Did my first oil change yesterday. Very simple and in my opinion no harder than any other vehicle I had plus this is my first truck so I didn't have to jack it up! To get the oil filter out just turn the wheel to the on side, remove 3 push pins and there it is.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine today, My only concern was the factory Filter is smaller than the replacement which I bought a wrench for. That was an "Awe crap" moment as I had already drained the oil. But a good friend went and picked me up one of those 3 finger adjustable filter remover tools.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I did mine today, My only concern was the factory Filter is smaller than the replacement which I bought a wrench for. That was an "Awe crap" moment as I had already drained the oil. But a good friend went and picked me up one of those 3 finger adjustable filter remover tools.

A riding buddy was doing an oil change on his FatBoy an asked to use my filter wrench. There's an electrical connection right by the filter. the HD brand wrench has a cutout to remove the filter without worrying about pulling on the wires. I took that over an it didn't fit. the shop he had do some work put an aftermarket filter on...I ran back an got the 3 jaw an said I should have just taken it with me to begin with. Lesson learned: when going to a buddy's house that is limited on tools, take more than you think you need.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc