Oil. Change

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Not if you do the oil change by your self. The service has to be performed by an certified service place. Then the service is documented with an official invoice and also visible in the computer system for the Ford dealer if there is a warranty claim. And you will see this service on CarFax...
It lets me add oil changes to FordPass, and they show up on the vehicle history. I just record mileage and price. I've changed my own oil for many years, and no dealer has ever questioned it.

I've had engine work done under warranty too, they never even asked when the oil was last changed.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Not if you do the oil change by your self. The service has to be performed by an certified service place. Then the service is documented with an official invoice and also visible in the computer system for the Ford dealer if there is a warranty claim. And you will see this service on CarFax...
Read the Magnuson Moss act. You can do your own service and use what ever oil and filter you want. Doesn't need to be a certified service place. As long as you follow recommend service intervals and material specifications. Also if something goes wrong they have to prove what you did caused the problem.

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
Ford "works" (oil and filter change + tire rotation) runs $49.95 + tax. They only use Ford parts and oil. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable deal. Unless I do the work myself, the dealer is the only one allowed to touch any of my cars.
between materials and beer, it’s probably no more expensive then doing it myself,

my dealer does services for “free” when you get the extended warranty though, so for 7 years, I shouldn’t have to touch this truck (why I bought it)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Ford "works" (oil and filter change + tire rotation) runs $49.95 + tax. They only use Ford parts and oil. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable deal. Unless I do the work myself, the dealer is the only one allowed to touch any of my cars.
FWIW "The Works" comes with synthetic blend. I prefer full synthetic in my EcoBeasts. Dealership price is much higher for synthetic.
This is completely WRONG.

Except for the Carfax part. But I don't care one bit about that.
It lets me add oil changes to FordPass, and they show up on the vehicle history. I just record mileage and price. I've changed my own oil for many years, and no dealer has ever questioned it.

I've had engine work done under warranty too, they never even asked when the oil was last changed.
Read the Magnuson Moss act. You can do your own service and use what ever oil and filter you want. Doesn't need to be a certified service place. As long as you follow recommend service intervals and material specifications. Also if something goes wrong they have to prove what you did caused the problem.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
These guys get it.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Being that I am a retired mechanic, doing my own oil changes, is just natural for me. I do not have a lot of faith in the local dealerships service centers, so I only go there if I have a warranty issue.

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Ok... I'll bite.

What does the number of cylinders have to do with the cost of an oil change?
Usually bigger engines have bigger oil pans. My 2018 Mustang GT was a $100 oil change that required 10 quarts of oil. Yes, 10 quarts!

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think people assume that the less cylinders it has, either 1. the less oil it will take (false) or 2. the less complicated and precise it will be (also false) or 1 and 2 together.

But IDK, seemed like bait to me :)
Makes me wonder what kind of autos y'all have owned.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I don't do my own oil changes anymore than I would change my own tire if I am in a populated area. I pay something like $5 a month for some other guy to come out and do it while I sit in the A/C or heat. If I am in the boonies then I would roll up my sleeves out of necessity. I use to be all about "if you love your car you do it yourself" - but the older I got...

tenor.gif
This how i am now as well.

As for OP question i would at least do dealership oil changes while your still under the 5y / 60K powertrain warranty. That way its documented and if they Fk it up they get to fix it.

I have 3 dealers that send me service coupons for the "Works package" and they vary in price from $44.99 all the way up to $64.99 so it pays to shop around.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Your not the only one. I'd be willing to bet half the people (I'm being kind here) driving have never looked under the hood of what their driving.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Usually bigger engines have bigger oil pans. My 2018 Mustang GT was a $100 oil change that required 10 quarts of oil. Yes, 10 quarts!
Very unusual. Your 2018 was an outlier.

Typical gas engines have 4-1/2, 5 or 6 quarts. Regardless of 4, 6 or 8 cylinders.

Chevy's, Ford's, Mercury's, GMC's, Honda's, Toyota's, Chrysler's, Jeep's.

4 bangers, straight 6, V6 & V8 ranging in age from 1965 through 2019.

None had more than 6 quarts, or less than 4-1/2 quarts of motor oil.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
The service has to be performed by an certified service place.
This is totally incorrect; if you do your own service, just keep the receipts and document the date, the mileage, and what you did.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Ask anyone like me that has worked at a quick lube joint... don’t use one lol I would barely trust a Ford Dealer more.. I do my own, but I totally get it at 75 you ain’t gonna find me laying under a truck either. Ford Dealer is probably your best bet. I recommend checking the oil level after every oil change just in case

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Ask anyone like me that has worked at a quick lube joint... don’t use one lol I would barely trust a Ford Dealer more.. I do my own, but I totally get it at 75 you ain’t gonna find me laying under a truck either. Ford Dealer is probably your best bet. I recommend checking the oil level after every oil change just in case
Not sure age has anything to do with self-servicing vehicles; it is more of how life has treated you up to this point. I'm 75 and still perform the service on all of my vehicles and hope to be able to do so for a while yet. I will admit that handling that spare tire on the back of the Jeep is getting a bit tiresome.:crackup:

Last edited:

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very unusual. Your 2018 was an outlier.

Typical gas engines have 4-1/2, 5 or 6 quarts. Regardless of 4, 6 or 8 cylinders.

Chevy's, Ford's, Mercury's, GMC's, Honda's, Toyota's, Chrysler's, Jeep's.

4 bangers, straight 6, V6 & V8 ranging in age from 1965 through 2019.

None had more than 6 quarts, or less than 4-1/2 quarts of motor oil.
The place I've taken my autos for the past 4 years has cylinder specific pricing. $49 for 4cyl. $69 for 6 cyl. and $89 for you guessed it, an 8 cylinder. They don't advertise V10 prices, but I'd be willing to bet if you drive up in a V10 R8 or Viper, you'd pay $109. You can google every make model of vehicle and I'm willing to bet more oil is required with the more cylinders you have. Take it up with the lube center if you contest their marketing reasons, but I'm sure that's their reason for pricing as well. Based on my past personal experience with owning 35 different vehicles, bigger engines yield bigger costs for oil changes. Not because of the difficulty in changing it, but the actual cost of oil itself.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The place I've taken my autos for the past 4 years has cylinder specific pricing. $49 for 4cyl. $69 for 6 cyl. and $89 for you guessed it, an 8 cylinder. They don't advertise V10 prices, but I'd be willing to bet if you drive up in a V10 R8 or Viper, you'd pay $109. You can google every make model of vehicle and I'm willing to bet more oil is required with the more cylinders you have. Take it up with the lube center if you contest their marketing reasons, but I'm sure that's their reason for pricing as well. Based on my past personal experience with owning 35 different vehicles, bigger engines yield bigger costs for oil changes. Not because of the difficulty in changing it, but the actual cost of oil itself.
An additional $20 for another quart or two seems a bit excessive to me. True there might a little higher cost to dispose of the extra quart but not enough to matter it seems to me.

Tundra 8 cylinders took 7.4 quarts, Jeep 6 cylinders takes 6 quarts, Highlander 6 cylinder takes 5.8 quarts and the Ranger with 4 cylinders takes 6.2 quarts.
Sponsored

Last edited: