Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lawsuits for what, exactly? Let's assume for the sake of the argument that a catch can has a tangible benefit. If Ford suddenly start including them, that doesn't mean that Ford was in any way negligent with their prior design, it just means that the prior design was suboptimal.
Hi Joe,

Yep. Agree, The 5G Range does not mean the 4G was suboptimal either. It met the customer and engineering Requirements at that time. The mind set that if Ford makes a change it infers that the previous design was subpar.... Anyone updated their cell phone? Was the old one defective?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Based on what I just emptied out of my newly installed Mishimoto catch can...better get one on quick! Nasty stuff going back to your ecobeast...
Check it out

FA9E58E4-F55A-45B1-B663-AF1404F1C4E8.jpeg

D5CE1EFD-D33C-4587-9C34-9AF75C93EF94.jpeg

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
btw...nothing wrong with my Ranger...she runs like the wind!!?

Taterbootz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
That’s a ridiculous response. The point is DI engines are all over the place and not one manufacturer has one installed from the factory. If it was so necessary why wouldn’t the automobile engineers put one on it.

if you want one. Go for it!
That's my point. If any modification was necessary, it would be factory installed. You can say the same thing about any modification that people believe are "necessary". Including lifts, air intakes, oil catch cans, lights, or anything else.

Nobody modifies vehicles because they're "necessary". They modify vehicles because they want to. Their desires for wanting to are always subjective, even if they have objective reasoning behind it.

But acting like you're right that they're "not needed" because no manufacture installs them, while still acting like other modifications are " needed" is facetious and self righteous at best.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Engineers don't build cars - finance does. The CBA doesn't justify the inclusion of said device.
acronyms... :headbang:

Consumer Bankers Association (CBA)

Colorado Bar Association (CBA)

Colorado Bankers Association (CBA)

CBA
is an acronym that means can't be arsed (CBA)

CBA
(countable and uncountable ) (CBA)

CRAFT BREW ALLIANCE
(CBA)

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
That's my point. If any modification was necessary, it would be factory installed. You can say the same thing about any modification that people believe are "necessary". Including lifts, air intakes, oil catch cans, lights, or anything else.

Nobody modifies vehicles because they're "necessary". They modify vehicles because they want to. Their desires for wanting to are always subjective, even if they have objective reasoning behind it.

But acting like you're right that they're "not needed" because no manufacture installs them, while still acting like other modifications are " needed" is facetious and self righteous at best.
When did I say I was right? I think I said a few time’s that if you want to add one then go for it.

more better yet I’ll just agree with you so you let it go.
You’re right!

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
acronyms... :headbang:

Consumer Bankers Association (CBA)

Colorado Bar Association (CBA)

Colorado Bankers Association (CBA)

CBA
is an acronym that means can't be arsed (CBA)

CBA
(countable and uncountable ) (CBA)

CRAFT BREW ALLIANCE
(CBA)
Oh for sure that one! :beer:

But since I was referencing finance, it would be Cost Benefit Analysis. The Ranger got a pretty good OEM filter from the crankcase that did pass the CBA as there is one in place, however a more elaborate filtration system that covers both CCV and PVC sides AND needs to be regularly serviced by either the end user or dealer, will absolutely NOT pass a CBA regardless of how much it's needed. As is proof with the millions of DI cars in existence today driving around with heavily coked up intake valves: GM, BMW, Hyunda/Kia, VW etc.

So just because it doesn't come from the factory with one - doesn't really mean much and it's more accurate to say. "Well ford sold these after finance approved a certain level risk once a minimum performance and viability metric was met."

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
But that's not true.

BlackRanger

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX2
Based on what I just emptied out of my newly installed Mishimoto catch can...better get one on quick! Nasty stuff going back to your ecobeast...
Check it out

FA9E58E4-F55A-45B1-B663-AF1404F1C4E8.jpeg

D5CE1EFD-D33C-4587-9C34-9AF75C93EF94.jpeg
That's a lot, no matter what it is. How many miles from the last time it was drained?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
1st drain of the catch can. I'm guessing about 2000 on the mileage. To be honest, I wasn't really keeping track because I wasn't really expecting to see much in the can. I will be keeping track now. I commute about 106 miles a day (53 each way) so I will be checking it this evening when I get home and will post my results after 1 commute. That should tell me how often I need to empty.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
But since I was referencing finance, it would be Cost Benefit Analysis.
Hmmm.. if you want to be understood by dumbasses like me... what works best is to write CBA (Cost Benefit Analysis), then use CBA thereafter.

Unlimited characters here... feel free to be as clear as possible... and less cryptic.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I'm considering installing a catch can - have one on my Hyundai turbo but it is only is on the pvc side and catches next to nothing in the 5 yrs I've had it, visiting amazon there are many inexpensive catch cans, some with additional ports for the turbo side. My questions is has anyone installed these less expensive cans (< $40) and how much of a hassle is it getting the plumbing installed ?
I not keen on paying over $100 for this device as in reading the posts there are mixed opinions as to their effectiveness. On the other hand buying a cheapie and then having to find connectors and hoses to hook it up properly might be something best to avoid.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering installing a catch can - have one on my Hyundai turbo but it is only is on the pvc side and catches next to nothing in the 5 yrs I've had it, visiting amazon there are many inexpensive catch cans, some with additional ports for the turbo side. My questions is has anyone installed these less expensive cans (< $40) and how much of a hassle is it getting the plumbing installed ?
I not keen on paying over $100 for this device as in reading the posts there are mixed opinions as to their effectiveness. On the other hand buying a cheapie and then having to find connectors and hoses to hook it up properly might be something best to avoid.
I need to empty mine again to see where I'm at but I saw your post and wanted to elaborate on the Mishimoto catch can kit. I know it cost a couple of bucks but the huge thing about it is the hose connectors. They just snap right on and I'm telling you I have small hands and the one that you have to connect to that is the farthest back would be a booger if it wasn't for that. It also mounts so nice out of the way. Just saying that ease of install and attention to detail is what you are paying for in that kit. You can get a couple of bucks off if you subscribe to their newsletter or whatever.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I need to empty mine again to see where I'm at but I saw your post and wanted to elaborate on the Mishimoto catch can kit. I know it cost a couple of bucks but the huge thing about it is the hose connectors. They just snap right on and I'm telling you I have small hands and the one that you have to connect to that is the farthest back would be a booger if it wasn't for that. It also mounts so nice out of the way. Just saying that ease of install and attention to detail is what you are paying for in that kit. You can get a couple of bucks off if you subscribe to their newsletter or whatever.
That was a pretty dramatic fill you had in that catch can. I have never gotten even close to that with my Mazdaspeed. I know the Ecoboosts are bad about fuel dilution in the oil, I have even noticed some in my Ranger and thus change the oil more often, but have been holding out on a catch can in the hopes that more info would be available on its effectiveness in our platform. You see a lot of opinions on their usefulness in the 2.3 Ecoboost.

Questions... Do the contents smell like fuel? Have you tried to ignite it?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless