Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Check this out... it is very entertaining ,informative and balanced...
Sponsored

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Automotive Interior Repair
Have been and so far have found very little indisputable evidence to support this mod.
Lots of anecdotal evidence and empirical evidence without good science behind it.
Sure there is enough to convince a lot of smart people that it works, and some more who think "it can't hurt" so I might as well.
Many who think the problem is real, don't believe that a catchcan can actually solve it.
Commonly the best "hope" is to delay the inevitable.
If a Ranger needs a valve job at 100000miles with no catchcan (unlikely) then it will be said
"it could have been put off another twenty if only you had used a catchcan".
That might even be true...
Stay with the Forum and lets compare at 10 years or 100000miles!

One other point,
Eighty percent of Ranger buyers will have moved on long before the problem presents itself, and aftermarket mods seldom return their cost to the seller, many even reduce value.
Catch can is 100% worth it. You sound like you’re trying to justify being cheap over a mod you can do for cheap.

when I empty my catch can and pour out a tablespoon of oil that would have made its way into my intake how isn’t that worth it? Why don’t you take off your intercooler, pour a little gas in it, swish it around and watch what color it is when you dump it out...

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Catch can is 100% worth it. You sound like you’re trying to justify being cheap over a mod you can do for cheap.

when I empty my catch can and pour out a tablespoon of oil that would have made its way into my intake how isn’t that worth it? Why don’t you take off your intercooler, pour a little gas in it, swish it around and watch what color it is when you dump it out...
100% worth it for you... godspeed
In spite of the personal aspersion.

Let's compare service records in ten years.
Better yet lets compare service records over the last 40.
Who knows? Maybe I'll live to regret not taking your advice, or more likely that burden will fall on whoever buys my truck from my estate in a couple of decades.
Are you planning CRC treatments? You can do that for cheap.

More toward your expertise..... Did you ScotchGard your interior? If not, why not?

Last edited:

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
100% worth it for you... godspeed
In spite of the personal aspersion.

Let's compare service records in ten years.
Better yet lets compare service records over the last 40.
Who knows? Maybe I'll live to regret not taking your advice, or more likely that burden will fall on whoever buys my truck from my estate in a couple of decades.
Are you planning CRC treatments? You can do that for cheap.

More toward your expertise..... Did you ScotchGard your interior? If not, why not?
Keeping oil out of your intake system is worth it to everyone, not just me. If 300 bucks is stretching it for you then don’t run a catch can lol nobody cares. But don’t say they’re pointless when they aren’t.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keeping oil out of your intake system is worth it to everyone, not just me. If 300 bucks is stretching it for you then don’t run a catch can lol nobody cares. But don’t say they’re pointless when they aren’t.
1] Sure seems that you care! :giggle:
2] I never said that they're pointless.
3] $300?? Did you hire it done?
4] What about your opinion of Scotchgard ?

Look.... I've been building and maintaining vehicles for over half a century.
I am a sceptic, and maybe a bit of a contrarian at times, but I am not trying to second guess your choices.
Heck, I kinda like the PCV system design on the 2.3L Ecoboost, but I am open to learn from all those valve problems experienced by other members here... and will keep my ear to the ground in case they ever crop up.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
when I empty my catch can and pour out a tablespoon of oil that would have made its way into my intake how isn’t that worth it?
No. The engine was designed for this. Just saying "LOOK AT THIS" is such a snake-oil gimmick. You might as well say "why would anyone feed a volatile fluid into their expensive engine and BLOW IT UP!!!!"

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
After 27 pages - still no.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
After 27 pages - still no.
It's a possibility for me as I did put one on my wife's Hyundai 2.0T but it catches next to nothing. Maybe the Ranger will be more forthcoming.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Still no. They have one built in and if it was a real issue Ford would have used something different. My 2 cents.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would injector cleaner additive help this out?
Yes and no.
It will keep the injectors clean and efficient and will reduce carbon build-up on the piston.
This will in turn reduce the amount of fuel which makes its way to the crankcase and thus reduces the burden on the PCV system. this should reduce the amount of fluid which finds its way from the crank case back into the intake.
Also... change oil at reasonable intervals and keep a clean air filter in place.
Replace plugs more often than the schedule requires or at least no less often.
Keep the coolant and the radiator clean.
Run top tier fuel of at least 87 Octane.

312wK3Gg+RL.jpg

Last edited:

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
No. The engine was designed for this. Just saying "LOOK AT THIS" is such a snake-oil gimmick. You might as well say "why would anyone feed a volatile fluid into their expensive engine and BLOW IT UP!!!!"
You’re trippin if you think oil making it’s way through our entire day brake system is okay.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
You’re trippin if you think oil making it’s way through our entire day brake system is okay.
I have no idea what you're tying to say, but regardless of hysterical clips from people selling things on the internet, there just doesn't seem be huge issues with the millions of cars that drive around with the same modern recirc systems every day without adding on catch cans.
Sponsored