Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
1. Do you still think that crankcase pressure is the primary source of valve deposits? Take a look at EGR and variable valve timing to see what contributions they make.

2. Also nobody has been able to quantify the problem of intake valve deposits.
1. Egr deposits are very minimal on a gasoline engine. So yes, the primary source is from pcv.

2. Yes they have. The problem is the pcv, the oil that makes it through cooks onto the valves.
Edit: Whoops I think I read it wrong
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
There is only 1 reason to have a catch can: to reduce oil vapors in the intake. Whether that be for deposits or performance reasons (knock from oil vapors).

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
There is only 1 reason to have a catch can: to reduce oil vapors in the intake. Whether that be for deposits or performance reasons (knock from oil vapors).
After being involved in discussions about the intercooler system and considering upgrades I would add that a catch can keeps oil/moisture out of the charge pipes where it has been an issue in similar vehicles and I presume the long term performance of the intercooler itself.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
After being involved in discussions about the intercooler system and considering upgrades I would add that a catch can keeps oil/moisture out of the charge pipes where it has been an issue in similar vehicles and I presume the long term performance of the intercooler itself.
PCV is after the charge pipes and intercooler, so they wont see oil from the pcv. They may see very small amount from the "clean air" breather but the pcv is the main culprit.

Diesel are the worst for this though, they put the Crankcase vent pre turbo because diesels have no manifold vacuum.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
True, the return line is the pvc inlet
Catch can cleans that vapor

Every time I empty mine I imagine that stuff DIDN'T get to the intake so I feel validated.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
1. Egr deposits are very minimal on a gasoline engine. So yes, the primary source is from pcv.

2. Yes they have. The problem is the pcv, the oil that makes it through cooks onto the valves.
Edit: Whoops I think I read it wrong
Not sure saying it makes it so..., especially when "Quantify" is described as as minimal.
Fact is PCV is minimal as well.
Don't forget that EGR includes valve overlap on every exhaust stroke.

I still haven't taken sides on the catchcan question, but i would insist on something other than doctrine and anecdotal evidence.

Can you say definitively that adding a catchcan and servicing it properly will prevent intake valve deposits?
There are lots of Ecoboost engines with over 200,000 miles with no catchcan.
So how do we quantify the problem so that it is possible to determine the need, let alone the effectiveness?

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Not sure saying it makes it so..., especially when "Quantify" is described as as minimal.

I still haven't taken sides on the catchcan question, but i would insist on something other than doctrine and anecdotal evidence.

Can you say definitively that adding a catchcan and servicing it properly will prevent intake valve deposits?
So how do we quantify the problem so that it is possible to determine the need, let alone the effectiveness?
You seem to be misreading what Ive posted. I suggest you do your own research.
The research has been done and the data is there. You won't find it on a forum.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
You seem to be misreading what Ive posted. I suggest you do your own research.
The research has been done and the data is there. You won't find it on a forum.
Have been and so far have found very little indisputable evidence to support this mod.
Lots of anecdotal evidence and empirical evidence without good science behind it.
Sure there is enough to convince a lot of smart people that it works, and some more who think "it can't hurt" so I might as well.
Many who think the problem is real, don't believe that a catchcan can actually solve it.
Commonly the best "hope" is to delay the inevitable.
If a Ranger needs a valve job at 100000miles with no catchcan (unlikely) then it will be said
"it could have been put off another twenty if only you had used a catchcan".
That might even be true...
Stay with the Forum and lets compare at 10 years or 100000miles!

One other point,
Eighty percent of Ranger buyers will have moved on long before the problem presents itself, and aftermarket mods seldom return their cost to the seller, many even reduce value.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Have been and so far have found very little indisputable evidence to support this mod.
Lots of anecdotal evidence and empirical evidence without good science behind it.
Sure there is enough to convince a lot of smart people that it works, and some more who think "it can't hurt" so I might as well.
Many who think the problem is real, don't believe that a catchcan can actually solve it.
Commonly the best "hope" is to delay the inevitable.
If a Ranger needs a valve job at 100000miles with no catchcan (unlikely) then it will be said
"it could have been put off another twenty if only you had used a catchcan".
That might even be true...
Stay with the Forum and lets compare at 10 years or 100000miles!

One other point,
Eighty percent of Ranger buyers will have moved on long before the problem presents itself, and aftermarket mods seldom return their cost to the seller, many even reduce value.
100% agree. Exactly what I brought in the end of my post in post #372.

Maybe I was the one misreading posts :inspect:

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)

Very well put sir.

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
As someone mentioned the ecoboost engines have been around for some time. Any Ford mechanics on the forum that has seen the valves on these engines in other models know what they look like after significant mileage. What does the back of the valve in the Focus RS looks like after 40-100K would be interesting to know, considering, the Ranger has a very similar set-up.

Does Ford have a service bulletin or scheduled maintain for valve intake blasting/cleaning on the 2.3L ecoboost?

I suspect most of what is in the can is water condensation with trace amounts of oil. The high location of the cans in the engine bay may be the reason for most of the liquid/condensation. Some can live with trace amounts getting into the intake other can't, each to their own as it is their vehicle.

Personally, I have no interest in one on the truck as it has a baffled plate exiting the block and does not see high RPMs, however, I did run a can on a built Honda B-series engine that lived most of its time in high RPMs on the street and track.

Reactions: Doc

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
As someone mentioned the ecoboost engines have been around for some time. Any Ford mechanics on the forum that has seen the valves on these engines in other models know what they look like after significant mileage. What does the back of the valve in the Focus RS looks like after 40-100K would be interesting to know, considering, the Ranger has a very similar set-up.

Does Ford have a service bulletin or scheduled maintain for valve intake blasting/cleaning on the 2.3L ecoboost?

I suspect most of what is in the can is water condensation with trace amounts of oil. The high location of the cans in the engine bay may be the reason for most of the liquid/condensation. Some can live with trace amounts getting into the intake other can't, each to their own as it is their vehicle.

Personally, I have no interest in one on the truck as it has a baffled plate exiting the block and does not see high RPMs, however, I did run a can on a built Honda B-series engine that lived most of its time in high RPMs on the street and track.
It’s definitely not water. I know what oil looks like. Been driving and taking care of my vehicles for 51 years.