Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said you'll be fine and more than capable of light off roading. I agree that you might want to add a skid plate just for peace of mind. Here's a few pics of a trail we hit one day just out driving around. It's nothing hard but I only needed 4wd in the soft sandy washes otherwise I was in 2wd the whole way. With the new tires you'll be surprised where you can go.

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg
Is that highway 913A? only thing missing is the bike lanes, you could drive that with a Yugo.

LOL couldn't resist, just mess'n with ya!!:LOL:
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Is that highway 913A? only thing missing is the bike lanes, you could drive that with a Yugo.

LOL couldn't resist, just mess'n with ya!!:LOL:
Must be just like our roads back in MA. I swear you need a rear locker there just to get out of some of those potholes!

Heartkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SuperCab 4x4
Occupation
USAF
I definitely don't have the locking rear diff....does that change things?
Nah definitely not necessary unless your really out there wheeling over rocky stuff. For me it came down to I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. It was a $420 option.

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the Fox stage 1 kit, I'd say your truck is more capable than an FX4 equipped truck. I didn't want the FX4 kit because I knew I was going to swap out the suspension for the Fox kit myself. IMO, the terrain modes are a gimmick.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
As others have said you'll be fine and more than capable of light off roading. I agree that you might want to add a skid plate just for peace of mind. Here's a few pics of a trail we hit one day just out driving around. It's nothing hard but I only needed 4wd in the soft sandy washes otherwise I was in 2wd the whole way. With the new tires you'll be surprised where you can go.

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg
Second this. Also, that TCase skid plate was beat to hell within my first 2 off-road trips. Better that than the TCase itself.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
The damper isn't good for off roading, to much added power. Al @Texasota has just about broke me but I'm not giving up just yet!

I Give Up.gif
Dave, this sounds like you are almost ready to remove that high maintenance thing and join the resistance! Yes, it is the right thing to do!

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Not to hijack the thread (sorry OP), but my wife complains that the truck (XLT base 4x4) bounces too much with everyday highway/road driving (she gets motion sick easily). Would adding the Fox Stage 1 kit help lessen that? Are there less expensive options out there that would help with that for everyday driving? (For reference she drives a 328i BMW and we replaced a Volvo XC60 with the Ranger).

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hi everyone, new to the group. I have a 2020 Ranger, XLT, 4x4 (not FX4). I recently upgraded the suspension to the Fox suspension package level 1. I will be getting Toyo Open Country A/T III tires installed tomorrow. I haven't done any other mods yet, but I was wondering if I'd be able to do some light (nothing crazy) off roading with my current set up?

Thanks for your feedback!
To say the least you will be fine. As long as you are not trying to go into snow or mud where you will get stuck then there shouldn't be any issues. I jave a 2019 XLT Sport and I have been offroad with it a bunch. First i went when stock and i can say I was impressed with the capability stock. After installing the Old Man EMU lift and the 265/70-17 tires I was able to do more. Now I dont have a locker so I am still limited but I can still do quite a bit. Your set up should allow you to do quite a bit.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I will go ahead and add these videos abput lockers since you did throw a question abput them

Also the Terrain Management that can be added is NOT a replacement for a locker.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not to hijack the thread (sorry OP), but my wife complains that the truck (XLT base 4x4) bounces too much with everyday highway/road driving (she gets motion sick easily). Would adding the Fox Stage 1 kit help lessen that? Are there less expensive options out there that would help with that for everyday driving? (For reference she drives a 328i BMW and we replaced a Volvo XC60 with the Ranger).
Most of the excessive bouncing is caused by shock dampening to most of our understandings here. You could simply just change the shocks to bilstein's or I box if you didn't want to lift or level the truck and fix the problem. It just depends on what you want to do.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
To say the least you will be fine. As long as you are not trying to go into snow or mud where you will get stuck then there shouldn't be any issues. I jave a 2019 XLT Sport and I have been offroad with it a bunch. First i went when stock and i can say I was impressed with the capability stock. After installing the Old Man EMU lift and the 265/70-17 tires I was able to do more. Now I dont have a locker so I am still limited but I can still do quite a bit. Your set up should allow you to do quite a bit.
I would simply change the rear dampers to Fox, Bilstein, or Eibach. I went with Bilstein and it made the ride at least 75% better and really tamed down the insane bouncing. Was a 30 minute job from getting the tools to putting the tools away. 4 bolts in total super easy, no need for jack or jackstands.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I'm bone stock XLT 4X4 - No FX4, No Upgraded Shocks, and Factory Tires that look like highway tread. I do just fine off road and have done some stuff that required stacklng rocks and small boulders (basketball sized stuff) to get over.

Haven't needed a locker but in the past (slick muddy conditions) in vehicles that didn't have a locker, I applied a little Emergency Brake to get the wheels to grip and mesh at the diff and transfer some power back to the wheel with traction.

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
It will absolutely eliminate the bounce. When I installed the kit, it changed the truck entirely......for the better.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have yet to do any sort of off-roading that the FX4 package seemed to be required. I do not plan on changing my suspension components anytime soon(though a 2.5" leveling kit is on order). Figured the FX4 package should be enough for the time being. Figured I would get my camping setup to where I would like, then focus on changing out major components on the truck.
Sponsored