Off Roading without a FX4 package.

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
I would simply change the rear dampers to Fox, Bilstein, or Eibach. I went with Bilstein and it made the ride at least 75% better and really tamed down the insane bouncing. Was a 30 minute job from getting the tools to putting the tools away. 4 bolts in total super easy, no need for jack or jackstands.
Which set of Bilstein's did you go with?
Sponsored

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Most of the excessive bouncing is caused by shock dampening to most of our understandings here. You could simply just change the shocks to bilstein's or I box if you didn't want to lift or level the truck and fix the problem. It just depends on what you want to do.
For now I'm just interested in improving the ride (removing the bounce). I may consider leveling at some point, but that's not really a high priority. As I asked Codestp202 which set of bilstein's would you recommend and where is the best place to get them?

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Thanks OP for letting me piggyback off of your original question.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
All that off-road add on stuff is good for is to get you stuck/broke further away from the paved road. The first thing that you need to ask yourself before buying add on stuff is why do I need it. Many off roaders need it because it looks cool. The actual functionality is secondary. Off roading comes in many forms. You can drive around on lots of dirt roads and see beautiful country especially in So. AZ with a stock truck. Or you can go hard core roading with a group ( it is always smart to go with others ) attempting to travel on virtually un passible trails. If you can find some others in your area and talk to and go with them on some trips then you will find out what your truck needs or doesnt need. And find your level of comfort of what you want your truck to do. :)

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Last edited:

wayhipcat

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX XLT Crew Cab
Occupation
School Psychologist
Hi everyone, new to the group. I have a 2020 Ranger, XLT, 4x4 (not FX4). I recently upgraded the suspension to the Fox suspension package level 1. I will be getting Toyo Open Country A/T III tires installed tomorrow. I haven't done any other mods yet, but I was wondering if I'd be able to do some light (nothing crazy) off roading with my current set up?

Thanks for your feedback!
I have the FX4 package. I think you're only missing the skid plates, which I would install if I were you (they're not much $). There's some programming that you're missing that the FX4 package has that you won't have, but I don't think that will slow you much. In all honesty, you're probably better with the Fox suspension and the tires you mentioned.

Happy trails.

Big Troy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Super cab
Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
I’ve been to a few places with my XLT 4x4, totally stock except for BFG all terrains. Climbs like a billy goat!!! I will probably add an air locker if circumstances necessitate it, but so far, fantastic capabilities.

71903812-B0C7-4C35-A3C6-ADAA89CF6696.jpeg

OP
OP

mwysocki23

First Name
Maritza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Social Worker
I’ve been to a few places with my XLT 4x4, totally stock except for BFG all terrains. Climbs like a billy goat!!! I will probably add an air locker if circumstances necessitate it, but so far, fantastic capabilities.

What kind of trails did you go on? I've never been, but we are going down to Kentucky near Red River Gorge and there are a bunch of different trails around there. Any suggestions?

Big Troy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Super cab
Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
What kind of trails did you go on? I've never been, but we are going down to Kentucky near Red River Gorge and there are a bunch of different trails around there. Any suggestions?
This photo was taken after a very rare storm in Las Vegas, usually I’m on dry trails, fire roads and some pretty legit hill climbs.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4

I like that new color.

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F250 Platinum 57 Chevy 3800 96 F150 20 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
You could light off-road with a 2WD with an open diff.

Two-wheel drive will get you 90% of the places a dedicated off-roader can go (MAYBE a bit of hyperbole).
I have to agree but up you to 98% of the time. I’m 58 I have owned trucks all my life and one jk jeep. The jeep and my 15 f250 are 4wd I off road quite often and can’t think of any time I’ve needed 4wd. Currently own 4 trucks the f250 is the Platinum and I’ve only used 4wd once when I’m headed to the woods I take the older truck well until I got my ranger STX 2wd. I see the value of 4wd and see more parts to break. A winch and land anchor cost a lot less than the $4800 4wd option. But heck what do I know

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I have the XLT FX4. I haven't used the trail control to get unstuck yet. I have exercised the skid plates more than I prefer with a new truck. I almost throw up when the bottom starts banging. That in itself keeps me off of the hairy stuff.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
As others have said you'll be fine and more than capable of light off roading. I agree that you might want to add a skid plate just for peace of mind. Here's a few pics of a trail we hit one day just out driving around. It's nothing hard but I only needed 4wd in the soft sandy washes otherwise I was in 2wd the whole way. With the new tires you'll be surprised where you can go.

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg
I want that terrain around here. :(

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I want that terrain around here. :(
It's one big perk for suffering through our sweltering summers. There are so many places to go off roading out here in the desert with all sorts of terrain from flat sandy washes to some good rocky areas. Here's a few more pics in this thread I did a while back up in Sedona. ?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have the XLT FX4. I haven't used the trail control to get unstuck yet. I have exercised the skid plates more than I prefer with a new truck. I almost throw up when the bottom starts banging. That in itself keeps me off of the hairy stuff.
I haven't run into anything that could get me stuck, but I did some hill climbing on a loose sandy hill and it definitely did better than just using the pedal.

It also did a lot better than my old Jeep (Liberty Diesel) that had a rear LSD.

I ran out of "road" but it kept going until I chickened out and backed off. I think the technology is really good in sand where you have grip, but too much spin will get you buried.

I offroad my wife's Edge Sport all the time, and it's got the 22" rubber band tires... You'll be totally fine with the standard 4x4 keeping in mind the 4x4 and the FX4 both have unprotected trans pans.

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
Thanks for the feedback so far. Are there any other upgrades/mod you would recommend to go off roading?
Get a set of MaxTraxx and you'll be just about set. I have a base-model XL 4x4 that I took wheeling this weekend (completely forgot to take pictures) and it handled the flexing pretty well. If you're running stock height, I would focus on recovery gear and undercarriage armor ( skid plate & Rock sliders).

Lastly, the best tool on the trail is your judgement. Take your time and pick your line accordingly once you have a feel for the width of the truck.

HAVE FUN!
Sponsored