First Name
Maritza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Social Worker
Hi everyone, new to the group. I have a 2020 Ranger, XLT, 4x4 (not FX4). I recently upgraded the suspension to the Fox suspension package level 1. I will be getting Toyo Open Country A/T III tires installed tomorrow. I haven't done any other mods yet, but I was wondering if I'd be able to do some light (nothing crazy) off roading with my current set up?

Thanks for your feedback!
Sponsored

OP
OP

mwysocki23

First Name
Maritza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Social Worker
Thanks for the feedback so far. Are there any other upgrades/mod you would recommend to go off roading?

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Yup I didn't get the FX4 because I didn't want the money going to the "upgraded" suspension from Ford.

I got the 4x4 xlt and threw Bilstein's on the back, then I bought the transfer case skid plate for $50. For another $50 I added the terrain management knob which is completely optional. The XLT 4x4 has a nice metal skid plate as well, just not as fancy as the FX4. I would recommend the transfer case skid plate for peace of mind, and the terrain mode upgrade.

I'd say the Non-FX4 is 95% as functional off-road, just is missing a couple electronic gizmos and an extra skid plate.

OP
OP

mwysocki23

First Name
Maritza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Social Worker
Yup I didn't get the FX4 because I didn't want the money going to the "upgraded" suspension from Ford.

I got the 4x4 xlt and threw Bilstein's on the back, then I bought the transfer case skid plate for $50. For another $50 I added the terrain management knob which is completely optional. The XLT 4x4 has a nice metal skid plate as well, just not as fancy as the FX4. I would recommend the transfer case skid plate for peace of mind, and the terrain mode upgrade.

I'd say the Non-FX4 is 95% as functional off-road, just is missing a couple electronic gizmos and an extra skid plate.

Do you have any links for the stuff you got?

Heartkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SuperCab 4x4
Occupation
USAF
You'll be more than capable off-road with your setup!

I ordered the same setup (XLT 4x4) without the FX4 package because I'm doing the Fox 2.0 kit also. I did spec the locking rear diff however.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
You could light off-road with a 2WD with an open diff.

Two-wheel drive will get you 90% of the places a dedicated off-roader can go (MAYBE a bit of hyperbole).

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Do you have any links for the stuff you got?
Not off the top of my head, but its all OEM ford parts. Levittown?? Ford offers a kit for the plate and the bolts. The switch is a ford part + a quick forscan change. Theres threads on both of these if you do a quick search

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi everyone, new to the group. I have a 2020 Ranger, XLT, 4x4 (not FX4). I recently upgraded the suspension to the Fox suspension package level 1. I will be getting Toyo Open Country A/T III tires installed tomorrow. I haven't done any other mods yet, but I was wondering if I'd be able to do some light (nothing crazy) off roading with my current set up?

Thanks for your feedback!
As others have said you'll be fine and more than capable of light off roading. I agree that you might want to add a skid plate just for peace of mind. Here's a few pics of a trail we hit one day just out driving around. It's nothing hard but I only needed 4wd in the soft sandy washes otherwise I was in 2wd the whole way. With the new tires you'll be surprised where you can go.

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You forgot to mention the tailgate damper, discount and tee shirt...sheesh Dave...Al is going to be happy now.:crackup:
The damper isn't good for off roading, to much added power. Al @Texasota has just about broke me but I'm not giving up just yet!

I Give Up.gif

OP
OP

mwysocki23

First Name
Maritza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Social Worker
You'll be more than capable off-road with your setup!

I ordered the same setup (XLT 4x4) without the FX4 package because I'm doing the Fox 2.0 kit also. I did spec the locking rear diff however.

I definitely don't have the locking rear diff....does that change things?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
The damper isn't good for off roading, to much added power. Al @Texasota has just about broke me but I'm not giving up just yet!

I Give Up.gif
No, but when you stop to tailgate...then it's good:sunglasses:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I definitely don't have the locking rear diff....does that change things?
I've never used mine yet. Unless you intend to do more aggressive off roading and rock crawling I wouldn't worry about the rear locker.
Sponsored