Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
The traction control (crawl control) is a separate button which is located to the left of the auto start/stop button.
There ya go, yep I forgot about that button..
Sponsored

Rampantroo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
The XLT 4x4 has a nice metal skid plate as well, just not as fancy as the FX4. I would recommend the transfer case skid plate for peace of mind, and the terrain mode upgrade.
This is going to sound daft, but I did not realize my '19 XLT 4x4 had a metal skid upfront at all. I just went and looked, and there sure enough is a skid plate behind the wind valance.

I WAS thinking about getting the shrockwork's skid plate set-up and powder coating it black, but now that I see what is under the truck already, I wonder about just removing the wind valance, and omitting the radiator skid from the other package.

I am wondering about partial skid plates are there other setups I should consider that people are using?

I won't be doing any rock crawling, but I do drive on crazy rutted dirt roads to camp and bike, and I would like a bit more protection on the bottom, I am just questioning my initial thoughts, given the already present radiator skid.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
This is going to sound daft, but I did not realize my '19 XLT 4x4 had a metal skid upfront at all. I just went and looked, and there sure enough is a skid plate behind the wind valance.

I WAS thinking about getting the shrockwork's skid plate set-up and powder coating it black, but now that I see what is under the truck already, I wonder about just removing the wind valance, and omitting the radiator skid from the other package.

I am wondering about partial skid plates are there other setups I should consider that people are using?

I won't be doing any rock crawling, but I do drive on crazy rutted dirt roads to camp and bike, and I would like a bit more protection on the bottom, I am just questioning my initial thoughts, given the already present radiator skid.
So I also have a 2019 XLT sport package 4 by 4 and I did remove the valence and changed out the skid plates to the FX4 ones. Set a list I do like the look a little bit better versus without the FX4 skid plates. Now you're probably wondering what kind of off-roading I do? Well I'm probably very close to what you do as I don't go rock crawling but I don't mind hitting the trails that would be easy to medium difficulty. With that said there's still a chance that I may hit a rock or something and we don't want to damage anything when that happens. After I lifted my truck and put the skid plates on for the most part I didn't really have an issue.

WAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4
I do serious rock crawling with a Jeep club. Have a modified Rubicon which is great for the trails, but not so much on highway. So I plan to use my 19 SLT 4x4 for mild club runs and want to only do the bare minimum of stuff for that purpose. Nice that mine already has an E-locker. Reading thru this thread, I decided the stock engine skid is probably okay -- I'll upgrade it if I see much damage. But sounds like a Xfer case skid would be a good idea, so that's on my list. The only other thing currently on my list is a second set of wheels and tires so I don't tear up my good ones. Looking thru tire specs I like the BFG All Terrains, 245/75-17E on a set of stock take-off wheels. They're an inch taller, a bit narrower and way heavier -- 3 ply sidewall instead of two. An E tire will ride like -- well, a truck -- but that's okay for my needs. It will be tough in the rocks.

Is this the OE xfer case skid you guys were talking about?
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/kb3z-7e063-a.html

Any other must-haves for light duty off road touring?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I do serious rock crawling with a Jeep club. Have a modified Rubicon which is great for the trails, but not so much on highway. So I plan to use my 19 SLT 4x4 for mild club runs and want to only do the bare minimum of stuff for that purpose. Nice that mine already has an E-locker. Reading thru this thread, I decided the stock engine skid is probably okay -- I'll upgrade it if I see much damage. But sounds like a Xfer case skid would be a good idea, so that's on my list. The only other thing currently on my list is a second set of wheels and tires so I don't tear up my good ones. Looking thru tire specs I like the BFG All Terrains, 245/75-17E on a set of stock take-off wheels. They're an inch taller, a bit narrower and way heavier -- 3 ply sidewall instead of two. An E tire will ride like -- well, a truck -- but that's okay for my needs. It will be tough in the rocks.

That's the Tcase skid I bonked often when stock. If you have a hitch you may end up dragging it upon exiting obstacles. I bought a hitch slider but haven't needed it since the lift. I also find that adding a few tube sands in the back of the bed helps keep you more planted and you can shift them if you get in a tricky situation and don't have someone to stand on the rear bumper, etc.

I personally removed the 'gravel deflectors' in front of the front tires to give the best possible approach clearance as well.

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase

I would add the terrain management system and maybe sliders. Other than that great set up.

WAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4
Thanks guys...I don't anticipate coming across any terrain that the truck can't do stock -- and if it happens? That's why I'm in a club with serious guys with winches and tow straps. :)
(hmmm. Better check my tow points.)

I mostly just don't want damage or flats. Did the "bonked" Ford T-case skid still do it's job? Or should I look for a better one? It does look a bit puny -- but I'm not looking to spend big bucks here and the price is right.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks guys...I don't anticipate coming across any terrain that the truck can't do stock -- and if it happens? That's why I'm in a club with serious guys with winches and tow straps. :)
(hmmm. Better check my tow points.)

I mostly just don't want damage or flats. Did the "bonked" Ford T-case skid still do it's job? Or should I look for a better one? It does look a bit puny -- but I'm not looking to spend big bucks here and the price is right.
My personal opinion is that the Tcase skid can flex enough to defeat it's purpose if you land on the right (wrong) spot. I'd prefer something more rigid with a different shape and attachment point. It's ok for light to medium duty, but for crawling over large rocks I'd eventually opt for something more substantial.

WAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4
Just got back from Ranger's 1st Club run -- Inyo Crest trail. Kept me on my toes as I'm used to 35's and a 6" lift which will damn near clear a beach ball. The stock Ranger can't clear a soccer ball, so I had to put my tires onto a lot of rocks I would normally straddle. It took a few knocks underneath until I got a feel for how big a rock I could cross and where to put them under the truck. Everything else went fine. One XJ needed a strap and a TJ needed rocks stacked -- but the dead stock Ranger cleaned it.

I'll put it on a lift and see how much damage was done, if any. Decide on skids etc from there. I think the outboard front suspension caught the most grief. I'm used to passing rocks just inside my tires and that's a bad idea here.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I highly recommend the ARB skid plates. They can take a beating. A pain to install using the directions, but worth it.
Sponsored