4x4 Capabilities without Fx4 package

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
A 4x4 truck with open diffs is more capable that 99% of people will ever need. The only meaningful difference in off road capability between the FX4 and base 4x4 is the locker. Skid plates don't add to offroad capability, just protect against damage. A skilled driver can drive as well as the terrain modes can. The half inch of ground clearance is hardly a make or break. The locker is a huge help for crawling over uneven terrain, but a little momentum goes a long way. The base 4x4 ranger is very capable and I doubt you will find its limits.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
I won’t do crazy off-roading like I did in my FJ years ago, but how capable is the standard 4x4 off road? What leveling kit would be best to gain some extra ground clearance?
I recently purchased a XLT 4x4 and while I would have paid for the Fx4 package, the available trucks at the dealer had leather and I won’t have leather seats without ventilated seats living in Vegas. I know the 4x4 will get me where I need to go and start heading out to the desert and go shooting again.
this is a good question so my side of things comes from the tacoma side of things since my ranger has yet to come in...

but! you should do fine as long as you dont plan to actually wheel the truck! as many have said good tires and good suspension and you will get most places. i currently own a trd tacoma with the rear e locker and the only time i have needed that is when im running down actual trails and doing stuff i really shouldnt be doing.... but for camping a little bit of simple exploring ive never really used it for that stuff! i have used the rear locker for snow before because it was super deep but overall not much! ive even wheeled with tacomas and jeeps that dont have lockers and some good tires and a good spotter can get you through a lot just saying!

so the non fx4 ranger should do just fine ya it doesnt come with skids or the fx4 suspension but most change suspension out anyways so get some good suspension and tires and you will do just fine for 99% of what you want to do. forgot to mention you can also buy skids or someones oem take off and bolt it on!

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
you can get a non FX4 with the locker- I have it on my 4x4 Sport... not sure why everyone is saying otherwise.

Our truck i believe is one of the last ones with a switch for the locker. it'll even disengage automatically over 25mph. I know on my buddy's trd pro the rear locker can only be activated when in 4LO or something..

I use mine to pull my boat out all the time. i actually think I use it more than my 4wd honestly lol
thats correct the toyota e locker is only for 4lo but you can take a wire and change where it grounds out and then it will be able to activate in 2wd 4hi and 4lo and it still has the saftey of shutting off at 15-20mpg something around that range

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I have a 4x4 + locker and it's more capable than I am comfortable thrashing my truck. I honestly don't care much about the terrain modes, but it's an easy enough thing to add them, I might as well just for giggles at some point.

ride height is plenty sufficient for me, and while I do prioritize overall driving over specifically offroad driving, I think I'll be replacing my OEM tires with something a bit more durable/capable when it's time to replace them. just not quite as far as lots of folks on this forum have gone.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
No they start at the same height. But a level doesn't provide ground clearance. It simply allows for bigger tires, which in turn increase clearance. Your tires are 1" taller than FX-4 tires, halving that means you gained a half inch of ground clearance.

I would not go through the trouble of changing out my suspension for only a half inch of ground clearance, but to each their own.

Also, the locker will not disengage over 25mph while actively accelerating.
Yeah I'm not really buying that. The truck is noticeably higher I have pics of the whole process and just looking its obvious. The front is a 2.5" raise and the rear is 1", bang on from ground to the top of the wheelwells. Plus the tires.

Not that the FX4 isn't a better starting point a locking diff is a huge upgrade and TM without having to buy the switch and hack forscan is good too.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
You also have better wheels for going offroad. No need to worry about messing them up. No sarcasm; wouldnt hate to have steelies under my truck if I was ever going to do real offroading.

Edit: I cant read.. I thought you got an XL... nvm.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Nothing overly special about the FX4. Shocks are junk anyway and if you plan to off road seriously you will quickly figure that out.

I have a sport 4x4 with rear locker. It's not strictly exclusive to the FX4. Terrain management, whoopty doo. Only for people with no off road experience. Learn to drive in all Terrains and you'll be fine. My step Dad bought his FX4 SCAB a few months after I bought mine. He quickly junked the FX4 shocks. I've driven his and tried all of the modes in Terrain management and its gimmicky at best. Don't get me started on those awesome skid plates. Nearly ripped his off while he got stuck in a crossing. Got caught up on a submerged stump that I had just went over, all do to that awesome diff plate that got hung up.

If your gonna mall crawl and go off road occasionally and get confused on which mode you should be in.... then yes go for the FX4 it might and I say lightly might save you an off road tow out service if your in sand. Mud you can for get it. A non FX4, XL or XLTwith a rear locker, lift and bigger tires will serve you well.

4x4 is great but I often say, it only gets you stuck further off road. Sooner or later it will get stuck.

I said what I said

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Yeah I'm not really buying that. The truck is noticeably higher I have pics of the whole process and just looking its obvious. The front is a 2.5" raise and the rear is 1", bang on from ground to the top of the wheelwells. Plus the tires.

Not that the FX4 isn't a better starting point a locking diff is a huge upgrade and TM without having to buy the switch and hack forscan is good too.
Yes your truck sits higher, by probably 3" in front, 2.5" from suspension and .5" from increased tire radius. And yes it sits higher in the rear, 1.5" total, 1" from suspension and again .5" from tire radius. But that does not mean you have 3" more ground clearance. The only thing that gets you clearance is the tire size. Doesn't matter how high off the ground your fenders are, what matters is how high off the ground the LOWEST part of the truck is. You could put a 6" lift on a truck but with the same stock tires you've got the same stock clearance.

There's nothing to buy. It's simple math.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Nothing overly special about the FX4. Shocks are junk anyway and if you plan to off road seriously you will quickly figure that out.

I have a sport 4x4 with rear locker. It's not strictly exclusive to the FX4. Terrain management, whoopty doo. Only for people with no off road experience. Learn to drive in all Terrains and you'll be fine. My step Dad bought his FX4 SCAB a few months after I bought mine. He quickly junked the FX4 shocks. I've driven his and tried all of the modes in Terrain management and its gimmicky at best. Don't get me started on those awesome skid plates. Nearly ripped his off while he got stuck in a crossing. Got caught up on a submerged stump that I had just went over, all do to that awesome diff plate that got hung up.

If your gonna mall crawl and go off road occasionally and get confused on which mode you should be in.... then yes go for the FX4 it might and I say lightly might save you an off road tow out service if your in sand. Mud you can for get it. A non FX4, XL or XLTwith a rear locker, lift and bigger tires will serve you well.

4x4 is great but I often say, it only gets you stuck further off road. Sooner or later it will get stuck.

I said what I said
What does Ford charge for the locker as a standalone option?

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yes your truck sits higher, by probably 3" in front, 2.5" from suspension and .5" from increased tire radius. And yes it sits higher in the rear, 1.5" total, 1" from suspension and again .5" from tire radius. But that does not mean you have 3" more ground clearance. The only thing that gets you clearance is the tire size. Doesn't matter how high off the ground your fenders are, what matters is how high off the ground the LOWEST part of the truck is. You could put a 6" lift on a truck but with the same stock tires you've got the same stock clearance.

Ok I'll get bigger tires when these wear out then. :D

tentspast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT

Same stock clearance to the diff pumpkin maybe, but you're lifting all the other scrapy bits out of the way including frame rails, fuel tank, front diff etc with a suspension lift

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Ok I'll get bigger tires when these wear out then. :D
If you're looking for more clearance offroad that's definitely what you should be looking to do.

Same stock clearance to the diff pumpkin maybe, but you're lifting all the other scrapy bits out of the way including frame rails, fuel tank, front diff etc with a suspension lift
True, but one must always remember the first rule of bench racing, the numbers are the numbers.

In this case the number is clearance and clearance is measured from the lowest "scrappy bit."

Ask anybody whose ever banged up a lower shock mount and they'll tell you.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Non FX4 is plenty capable. I think you will be surprised. You can easily add the terrain management feature that comes with the FX4 too. FX4 suspension isn't really anything special. Most people end up replacing it anyway. If you add terrain management the only thing you're missing is some skid plates (non FX4 still has front bash plate) and rear locker.
Yeah, the FX4 suspension is nothing special, I replace mine to Fox 2.0 and Eibach. The rear FX4 is soft compare to Eiback or Fox. The only thing I like about the FX4 is the terrain management software and switch. I have used them couple of time in the course but most outdoor we do here in So Cal are in 2wd drive mode but I use the rear locker first before 4WD.
Sponsored