4x4 Capabilities without Fx4 package

its_ikon

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT 4x4
I won’t do crazy off-roading like I did in my FJ years ago, but how capable is the standard 4x4 off road? What leveling kit would be best to gain some extra ground clearance?
I recently purchased a XLT 4x4 and while I would have paid for the Fx4 package, the available trucks at the dealer had leather and I won’t have leather seats without ventilated seats living in Vegas. I know the 4x4 will get me where I need to go and start heading out to the desert and go shooting again.
Sponsored

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Non FX4 is plenty capable. I think you will be surprised. You can easily add the terrain management feature that comes with the FX4 too. FX4 suspension isn't really anything special. Most people end up replacing it anyway. If you add terrain management the only thing you're missing is some skid plates (non FX4 still has front bash plate) and rear locker.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I won’t do crazy off-roading like I did in my FJ years ago, but how capable is the standard 4x4 off road? What leveling kit would be best to gain some extra ground clearance?
I recently purchased a XLT 4x4 and while I would have paid for the Fx4 package, the available trucks at the dealer had leather and I won’t have leather seats without ventilated seats living in Vegas. I know the 4x4 will get me where I need to go and start heading out to the desert and go shooting again.
I wouldn't add or subtract anything until I tested as is , if I get where I need to go that is...

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
How I do that ? Kit # please ...
There’s ”notathreadortwo” on that already. Requires the TM switch and some Forscan tinkering. ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I been meaning to get the forscan deal but can't get a straight answer if it voids my warranty, I'm sure this mod would void it ...maybe ?

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It won't void the warranty. Plus you can save the stock configuration and return to stock if you take it in. Really your just changing some glamour stuff. Nothing mechanical

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
The only differences between what you have and an FX4 is a locking rear end and some trail control features we haven't figured out in Forscan yet. Other than that not much differences once you add the TM switch. I think they're around $90 bucks now. Long ago before people started adding them they were about $45 bucks each.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Out of the box, the Ranger is a very worthy off-road vehicle. A front end level kit of 2” or 2-1/2” will give you a bit better approach angle but it’s taller tires that will provide added ground clearance (measured ground to diff). With stock wheels, you can go taller by 1” to 1-1/2” without running into rubbing issues.

It will buck and rock like a stock truck but aftermarket shocks and coilovers will help with that. Not necessary but nice to have. Heck, some members here have bone stock 2WDs and wheel the pants off them.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Frankly, the only time you need Fx4 capability is when you set out to use FX4 capability. If you're planning to get wheels in the air and crawl through ruts and rock gardens, then you might have some trouble with only 4x4. Otherwise, you don't need skids and a locker to drive down a gravel road. For your needs, good tires will matter the most.

I run the mtb trail building crew with some buddies at the local nature preserve. This means a good amount of "off-roading" on unmaintained double track to haul buckets of dirt and tools out to the singletrack. Nothing wild, but bad enough that you need a vehicle with ground clearance. I do engage 4x4 on certain climbs to avoid spinning tires. My buddy with a 2WD Tacoma just gets squirrely and has to use speed in the same spots. I'd be perfectly fine without the FX4 package in 99% use cases.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
It won't void the warranty. Plus you can save the stock configuration and return to stock if you take it in. Really your just changing some glamour stuff. Nothing mechanical
I would have to think if I'm prying on the center console and changing out switches that didn't come on the truck , then had issues with the 4 wd , they might have the frown face...

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They would need to be able to show proof that the replacement switch, whish is an oem part, caused the issue. Very unlikely. I've had my truck in for warranty work with the switch and other changes made with Forscan and not a word was said about it.
Sponsored