First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL 4x4, 2015 Scion FRS, 1995 MX-5
Occupation
I solve problems.
Get a set of MaxTraxx and you'll be just about set. I have a base-model XL 4x4 that I took wheeling this weekend (completely forgot to take pictures) and it handled the flexing pretty well. If you're running stock height, I would focus on recovery gear and undercarriage armor ( skid plate & Rock sliders).

Lastly, the best tool on the trail is your judgement. Take your time and pick your line accordingly once you have a feel for the width of the truck.

HAVE FUN!
Do you have the rear locker?
Sponsored

Aurumulas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I solve problems.
Unfortunately I do not, I have that on my list of items to bolt on when the funding is available.
Same here. Are you looking aftermarket or swapping to the factory rear locker?

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
Same here. Are you looking aftermarket or swapping to the factory rear locker?
I haven't had the chance to look yet, but if you would like to do all the research, I shall most certainly send you a beer in the mail as a way of thanks! :cool:

Aurumulas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I solve problems.
I haven't had the chance to look yet, but if you would like to do all the research, I shall most certainly send you a beer in the mail as a way of thanks! :cool:
I've dug on on the forum a bit. Best I can tell you can do the factory locker, but you'd have to add a toggle switch to activate the locker since we don't have all of the bells, whistles, and buttons. If I can find a wrecked Ranger with a locker I may just swap everything out at once (brakes and all). Should be pretty easy and then I'd have a spare rear end assembly.

I'm on the fence though because I'd like a front locker too. I could put the rear in with a compressor and then later on tackle the front. If I can find a shop I trust to perform the work I'll probably go with ARB.

Any chance you've found a dedicated 4x4 XL thread on here? Seems our trucks are unicorns.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I've dug on on the forum a bit. Best I can tell you can do the factory locker, but you'd have to add a toggle switch to activate the locker since we don't have all of the bells, whistles, and buttons. If I can find a wrecked Ranger with a locker I may just swap everything out at once (brakes and all). Should be pretty easy and then I'd have a spare rear end assembly.

I'm on the fence though because I'd like a front locker too. I could put the rear in with a compressor and then later on tackle the front. If I can find a shop I trust to perform the work I'll probably go with ARB.

Any chance you've found a dedicated 4x4 XL thread on here? Seems our trucks are unicorns.
It is possible that the factory locker can be added without a togle switch. Just buy thr locker button and activate the locker in the IPC with ForScan and it should work

Aurumulas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I solve problems.
It is possible that the factory locker can be added without a togle switch. Just buy thr locker button and activate the locker in the IPC with ForScan and it should work
Gotcha. Haven't played with Forscan before. I know I can't do the TM button with the dash I have, but you think I can get the locker button to work?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Gotcha. Haven't played with Forscan before. I know I can't do the TM button with the dash I have, but you think I can get the locker button to work?
It may be possible but I'm not sure

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
99% it will work. You should also be able to get TM as the FX4 is definitely an option on XL trucks. At the moment nobody has cracked the Trail Control yet, but I'm still hopeful (if I ever start working on it again).

Get the buttons from the same donor truck that the axle comes from, all the plugs are allegedly still there.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting Thread. Question for those who have a 4x4 XLT and have added the TM switch and programmed with Forscan: So you now have the Terrain Modes but do you also get Crawl Control as well now? (only possible if you have the up/down buttons on the steering wheel as well)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Interesting Thread. Question for those who have a 4x4 XLT and have added the TM switch and programmed with Forscan: So you now have the Terrain Modes but do you also get Crawl Control as well now? (only possible if you have the up/down buttons on the steering wheel as well)
there's a guy in another thread who added regular cruise control to his no cruise control XLT, but nobody has figured out the crawl control. Plenty of poeple adding terrain management and locker buttons though.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
The traction control (crawl control) is a separate button which is located to the left of the auto start/stop button.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Yup I didn't get the FX4 because I didn't want the money going to the "upgraded" suspension from Ford.

I got the 4x4 xlt and threw Bilstein's on the back, then I bought the transfer case skid plate for $50. For another $50 I added the terrain management knob which is completely optional. The XLT 4x4 has a nice metal skid plate as well, just not as fancy as the FX4. I would recommend the transfer case skid plate for peace of mind, and the terrain mode upgrade.

I'd say the Non-FX4 is 95% as functional off-road, just is missing a couple electronic gizmos and an extra skid plate.
Electronic qizmo is crap and not needed for anything off road. Install skid plates.
Yol be fine.

Lift will increase what you can navigate, but not required.

People were off roading for decades with out any Electronic assist. Why is it needed now? Its not.

I ordered my '19. STX 4Ă—4 Super cab. Added rear locker, towing, rear slider window. I could have checked the FX4 box, but did not. Buying skid plates is much cheaper. By a lot. And I don't need a dial gizmo for anything. Have 4wd. 4low. Rear locker. A nob adds what exactly?

Been able to go anywhere my brothers wrangler went. Zero issues.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Electronic qizmo is crap and not needed for anything off road. Install skid plates.
Yol be fine.

Lift will increase what you can navigate, but not required.

People were off roading for decades with out any Electronic assist. Why is it needed now? Its not.

I ordered my '19. STX 4Ă—4 Super cab. Added rear locker, towing, rear slider window. I could have checked the FX4 box, but did not. Buying skid plates is much cheaper. By a lot. And I don't need a dial gizmo for anything. Have 4wd. 4low. Rear locker. A nob adds what exactly?

Been able to go anywhere my brothers wrangler went. Zero issues.
It's not that its needed, it's just a nice to have. The electronics in modern day offroaders are very impressive. The new Bronco has some crazy stuff that even the professionals seem to really like.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I wouldn't completely dismiss the off road electronic traction control. Land Rover is well-known for how well it works on their vehicles, many of which do not have lockers. Apparently when Ford owned Land Rover, they helped in developing that technology when it was first introduced in the Discovery or LR3. Ford later used the same technology when they first introduced it in the 2011 Ford Explorer. It then found it's way into the trucks a bit later. It's known for working well.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/201...land-roverbased-traction-control-system-8292/
Sponsored