No more engine cover for the Lariat

PL8SWPR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT, '18 Mustang GT, '14 Ford Explorer
Sorry, but this is a little amusing to me. I own a 18 Mustang and a lot of Mustang owners take off the cover, throw it away or give it away. They have no value. It may have a little to do with most aftermarket air intakes require cutting or removing the cover.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Sorry, but this is a little amusing to me. I own a 18 Mustang and a lot of Mustang owners take off the cover, throw it away or give it away. They have no value. It may have a little to do with most aftermarket air intakes require cutting or removing the cover.
It’s somewhat of a safety issue. Super Cabs have a very small back seat. You can fit kids back there but if no headrests there is potential for them to have their little noggins go through the rear window.

So, by getting them to fold easily then removing and reinserting them is easy peasy. Otherwise you got to unbolt the back of the seat to get enough clearance to get them out!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
FOUND THEM!! :like:
For those of you looking for the engine cover nuts part number #W520201-S450B I currently have [4] of them. If I recall correctly the cover install requires [2]..You will need to verify that is indeed the nut you need. I DO NOT have any engine covers or studs.
IM me directly so we can work out the details if anyone is interested.

jerardisflossin

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
I see this deletion and now question what other components have taken a back seat to quality for a penny. Makes you wonder what changes may be going on in say, the motor. It has me on the fence on buying another Ford product.

It is crazy the cost cutting going on at Ford yet their prices are skyrocketing. For reference, my 2018 GT was backed into and there was a question of it getting totaled. The car only has 7k miles on it so I went back and forth with the insurance company on cost of replacement. A similar optioned/packaged GT for 2021 is $6k more than 2018. That is roughly a 5% price increase every year. I've looked at a bunch of other manufacturers and none have this much of a year to year price increase from 2019 to 2021.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I had a '15 Ecoboost, and the mustang was silent compared to the ranger's 2.3L. The pump/injector noise on cold starts would be concerning if it wasn't normal for this engine, I never once had it on my Mustang. I was going to paint mine up in the car at some point but never got around to it.

I can get the cover locally for $0.20 cheaper than Levittown will sell it (plus no $25 shipping charge) - but it looks like it's just the cover for that price, not with the studs/nuts, so it would be more overall to buy it locally.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I see this deletion and now question what other components have taken a back seat to quality for a penny. Makes you wonder what changes may be going on in say, the motor. It has me on the fence on buying another Ford product.

It is crazy the cost cutting going on at Ford yet their prices are skyrocketing. For reference, my 2018 GT was backed into and there was a question of it getting totaled. The car only has 7k miles on it so I went back and forth with the insurance company on cost of replacement. A similar optioned/packaged GT for 2021 is $6k more than 2018. That is roughly a 5% price increase every year. I've looked at a bunch of other manufacturers and none have this much of a year to year price increase from 2019 to 2021.
Josh!! My Raleigh neighbor, do you think Ford is the only one doing this? Look again.

Here's an example: My wife's a buyer for a company. They build machines. Manufacturing and engineering are constantly in the need of parts and supplies.
She is negotiating with these suppliers every single day because of their price increases. If you're not looking and treating this as your own money, then you eat up the profits.
Some suppliers witch she hasn't delt with in several years have cost increases exactly as you described. Up 5% every year. It's economics 101.

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Ya'll. Its called inflation - and we're going to get our butts handed to us over the next 5-10 years because of it. The monetary policy of the past 15 years of running the fed printers at full tilt and holding interest rates artificially low eventually has this result. It doesnt appear anyone has any intent on reigning it in either.

You'll notice that with all the cuts and price increases, Fords margin isn't increasing dramatically (if at all).

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Josh!! My Raleigh neighbor, do you think Ford is the only one doing this? Look again.

Here's an example: My wife's a buyer for a company. They build machines. Manufacturing and engineering are constantly in the need of parts and supplies.
She is negotiating with these suppliers every single day because of their price increases. If you're not looking and treating this as your own money, then you eat up the profits.
Some suppliers witch she hasn't delt with in several years have cost increases exactly as you described. Up 5% every year. It's economics 101.
I hear this a ton. There are a few points that I always think when I hear complaints about price increases. First, people want wages to keep up with cost of living/inflation. Many of the same people don't want to pay any more for goods and services rendered by others. Second, people want to keep jobs in America/North America, but don't want to pay what that costs. I think people want their cake and to eat it too.

I don't disagree with a single point they make. I, too, would love to pay less, make more money, and have my uncle's small business thrive. But something's gotta give somewhere.

I hate to see Ford pinching pennies like this, but it's also possible that the pandemic has introduced a supply issue for items like the engine cover - or for the company who makes the engine cover for Ford, or even the company who provides raw materials to THAT company. Layoffs, lack of required materials, etc. Ford decides to pull it off the Lariat, and then just figures that people aren't buying a truck for an engine cover and they'll save a few bucks per sale and keep it as an accessory only going forward.

What is the BIG problem for Ford and other auto manufacturers is the semiconductor and chip shortage that is happening right now. At least with the engine cover Ford's only problem is some people like us griping about it in the shadows. If they can't build new F-150's because of a lack of chips and it causes them to take a loss in Q2/Q3? I'd keep an eye on taking a short position on Ford stock in the coming month/months.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
The engine cover is one of the reasons I liked the Lariat package.

And, I HAVE used the gas funnel. It works fine.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I glanced through the posts here, but didn't see anyone mentioning anything about "heat"! I don't know what the incidence of turbo failures there are officially, but my local dealer told me it was occurring mostly on the Lariat models. That fact alone speaks volumes.

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)
The tie-down issue almost makes me want to remove my drop-in bed liner just to see if I have six....almost.
Funny you should say this.

I've had the truck for 6 months and have yet to look. I have six Ports in the drop in liner.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Funny you should say this.

I've had the truck for 6 months and have yet to look. I have six Ports in the drop in liner.
I'd say 90% of owners can make do with 4 and have no need for 6. I wanted six because I tend to haul a lot of weird shit between dogs, dog sleds, skis, bikes, kayaks, etc. Even so, I could have lived with four.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say 90% of owners can make do with 4 and have no need for 6. I wanted six because I tend to haul a lot of weird shit between dogs, dog sleds, skis, bikes, kayaks, etc. Even so, I could have lived with four.
The best part of this whole argument is people assuming others use.

I have actually only used the front 2 in my truck three times, but I use the middle two (that were missing upon purchase) constantly to secure my off-road gear in the bed against the cargo bar. I haven't used the rear two once yet.