David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody else have a nasty rattle on the top driver's side of the dash over even the slightest bump? It kind of almost seems it only does it when the defrost is on and cool outside. I can stop it, I think, by pushing down and applying pressure on the dash piece that's behind the dash "cover". This is going to bug the hell out of me!
Yup i have this rattle too. I notice it in the morning on the freeway going around 70mph.
Sponsored

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
Have had my 19 for four days. I too hear a loud rattle when the defroster is on high or medium. It sounds not so much a rattle but the fan being super noisy. Itā€™s super weird. Also is it just me or is the defroster and Heater super loud on high.

No rubbing

B4B76A75-CB60-41C9-A1CF-D0098860BDA9.jpeg
I've had my Ranger less than a week and heard the rattle this morning... Confirm cold out and with defroster on. Wasn't a terribly annoying rattle but was def noticeable, hopefully it doesn't get worse over time.

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
Got my Vehicle back from the Dealership last night. They said they noticed the rattle as well and said they put a piece of felt under the dash on the pin or something like that to stop the rattle. Not sure if that was just a good tech getting creative or not but it seemed to do the trick! My Driver seat was also loose and they were able to tighten that up as well. They also fixed the TSB about the Cold engine rough shifting and the Recall inspection. Overall I was very happy with the result and didn't have any of the BS that we sometimes get back from the Dealers!

Knockdown

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Supercab
Just picked up 19 SCab and within only a few miles noticed a really nasty rattle. Had some time to poke around today and found this under the drivers seat! ;)

367B7EF9-EF26-4BA7-85D6-B68497F64817.jpeg

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
Just picked up 19 SCab and within only a few miles noticed a really nasty rattle. Had some time to poke around today and found this under the drivers seat! ;)

367B7EF9-EF26-4BA7-85D6-B68497F64817.jpeg
What the heck is that?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Key lock box.

Ranger85

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I just dropped my truck off tonight for this rattle. I was able to capture the sound. I can confirm pushing down on the very front panel coverIng the defroster vent stops this rattle immediately. Hope they can fix it.

Last edited:

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
I just dropped my truck off tonight for this rattle. I was able to capture the sound. I can confirm pushing down on the very front panel coverIng the defroster vent stops this rattle immediately. Hope they can fix it.

Is this what others rattles sound like? I read through this whole thread thinking I had the same thing, but my rattle is a more deep "clunky" type rattle that only occurs in 1st gear at very low rpm (probably less than 1100 or so), on slow acceleration. I have yet to try any foam.

Ranger85

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Is this what others rattles sound like? I read through this whole thread thinking I had the same thing, but my rattle is a more deep "clunky" type rattle that only occurs in 1st gear at very low rpm (probably less than 1100 or so), on slow acceleration. I have yet to try any foam.
This is the only rattle I have ever heard in mineā€¦.it has not come back since My dealer fixed it.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

Kirby808

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I had this rattle as well, also one in the drivers side door. I took the truck to the dealer and made them fix it, they brought it back still rattled. It was at the point where I could knock on the dash and hear it, I didnā€™t take the truck when they dropped it off and told them not to bring it back until it was fixed. So they took the dash apart 2 times. Apparently they put a bunch of insulation in there as the wiring harness and or conduit was rattling. It was way worse in cold temperatures. Anyways rattles gone. They damaged the a pillars when re installing or taking apart and Iā€™ve been waiting for those replacement parts for almost a year. Just received confirmation they are in. You have to ask yourself one question..... is ripping the dash apart or having someone do it (risks involved) worth getting rid of the rattle. To me it was. Good luck

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
Same, my ranger has been great so far. Just the rattle is quite annoying especially on a new vehicle. I have added a second nine inch long cut of the one inch backer rod in front of the original one (since you get a good 10 feet per bag).

I have attached a very crude side view drawing of this change (sorry for spelling error :headbang:.)

upload_2019-11-11_16-14-27.png

It keeps the backer rod more secure since it has something to back up against, and keep it in place. I used one of those inspection cameras to see behind the dash to make sure i wouldn't break anything. i could see circuit boards and electronics a good 2.5 - 3 inches in the cavity, but before that there are two plastic standoffs/ramps that support the dash about three inches in from both sides of the nine inch baker. I am not too sure where everything lines up when the backer rod is in there since you can't get a ruler or camera back there to see.

I will add to this thread after a few days of driving with the extra backer in it. I will see if it quiets the rattle even more, or it damages anything.

The extra backer defiantly made the area over the gauges even more rigid, pushing down on the weak part of the dash over the gauge cluster required much more effort to see under the defrost bezel.

upload_2019-11-11_16-25-59.png
Thanks @Alex. I tried my own material using some large and small pieces of D shaped Rubber weatherstripping. I was glad to know that it is important to tuck some material under the dash as that is poorly supported. I put a piece of 1 inch or so weather stripping under the dash (left over from my tonneau cover) and used some smaller pieces (.649ā€h x .57ā€w) in front the Colliision LEDs along the trim piece. Also I used some Vinyl Butyl tape on the sides of the Collision Led to keep everything laying flat.
I test drove and now all I hear is the slightest creak which is unnoticeable with music playing.

@Alex gave me permission to post his video. Please see his video below showing how to install the backer rods.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: