NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I am pretty sure a contributor to the rattle is the plastic cover by the rear view mirror vibrating off the windshield.

Mine has a fair amount of play on the passenger side. I’m thinking a little felt around the edge may tighten the fit and/or absorb the noise.

Has anyone popped this cover off yet? Does it come off easily or are there plastic clips that are prone to breaking?
I too have a rattle that I believe was coming from the front camera housing. I've tried holding it firm against the windshield to no avail. I still get the noise and at this point I think it's coming from overhead console. I wouldn't think the camera is actually loose inside the plastic covering. It sounds like a pop or click as if something isn't set properly.
Sponsored

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I g

I got this rattle, I describe it more like a buzz, from my camera cover on the windshield the other day. More concerning for me is I also have a buzz coming from the defrost outlet cover on the dash driver side. When I inspected this cover, I can easily push down on the dash where the cover meets the dash and there is a clip I can see, but nothing to clip it into. This is directly straight ahead centered on the instrument cluster where the dash meets the defrost vent outlet cover. It almost looks as tho something is missing?? They both happen (when they happen) at low rpm lugging. I'm gonna try some felt on the defrost vent cover, it is the most consistent and annoying. I "manipulated" the camera cover the other day, which was the first time I noticed it, and it hasn't buzzed since.
Holy poop! This is the exact rattle I'm getting on mine! I JUST posted about this about a day or two ago and kind of narrowed it down to this. Were you able to fix it or find a fix for it? Or are you just going to deal with it? I'm having a few things fixed on my truck once the parts get in so I'll have the dealership look at it when it's in. Problem is, they're replacing my gauge cluster so they have to tear the dash apart to replace it anyways, might as well wait and see if it rattles afterwards? Or I may just mention it to them so they can give all the clips, screws, and retainers a once over while they're in there.

jarcub_XLT

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician (Ford)
I have the same rattle on the passenger side. I do mostly interior/NVH jobs at my dealership. It sounded to me like something isn't jiving with/in the door panel but it doesn't bother me enough to tear off the door panel and investigate.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same rattle on the passenger side. I do mostly interior/NVH jobs at my dealership. It sounded to me like something isn't jiving with/in the door panel but it doesn't bother me enough to tear off the door panel and investigate.
Hi Jabob,

Put it on the hoise with all wheels free. Put an imbalance on the drive wheel on one side, put someone in the cab, Rev the motor and the vibration will allow you to quickly locate the rattle. same can be done at home in the garage with the rear on jack stands with front wheels chocked and someone poised on top of the brake pedal...5 oz-in should do it...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Col Retired

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Jabob,

Put it on the hoise with all wheels free. Put an imbalance on the drive wheel on one side, put someone in the cab, Rev the motor and the vibration will allow you to quickly locate the rattle. same can be done at home in the garage with the rear on jack stands with front wheels chocked and someone poised on top of the brake pedal...5 oz-in should do it...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Col Retired
How does this work for rattles that are only present when hitting bumps and expansion joints?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How does this work for rattles that are only present when hitting bumps and expansion joints?
When you hit a bump or pothole the brief impact contains a broad spectrum of frequencies, one of which causes the rattle. Because of the brief time, it can be almost impossible to locate the source of the rattle. By adding a tire imbalance you produce a single frequency for a given tire rpm, so as you run up the engine and the tire revs, you may hit the offending frequency and holding that rpm the rattle may be continuous and thus easier to track down. Does not always work, but for certain it won't work if you do not try it. Good luck with your diagnostics.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you hit a bump or pothole the brief impact contains a broad spectrum of frequencies, one of which causes the rattle. Because of the brief time, it can be almost impossible to locate the source of the rattle. By adding a tire imbalance you produce a single frequency for a given tire rpm, so as you run up the engine and the tire revs, you may hit the offending frequency and holding that rpm the rattle may be continuous and thus easier to track down. Does not always work, but for certain it won't work if you do not try it. Good luck with your diagnostics.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Well, today I learned! :like:

I think I've mitigated my rattle, though. Since I learned that it was the driver's side defrost chute/vent, I knocked it, tapped it, moved it around a bit to where it's not rattling on its on. Hopefully it stays like that. Thanks for your insight and suggestion! If I do have a nasty rattle on a car that's not under a full bumper to bumper warranty, I'll definitely be giving this a try!

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Holy poop! This is the exact rattle I'm getting on mine! I JUST posted about this about a day or two ago and kind of narrowed it down to this. Were you able to fix it or find a fix for it? Or are you just going to deal with it? I'm having a few things fixed on my truck once the parts get in so I'll have the dealership look at it when it's in. Problem is, they're replacing my gauge cluster so they have to tear the dash apart to replace it anyways, might as well wait and see if it rattles afterwards? Or I may just mention it to them so they can give all the clips, screws, and retainers a once over while they're in there.
I popped off/lifted the defroster cover/grille about half way across, to the center of the dash, and placed some of the sticky backed Velcro ( the soft "fuzzy" side) on it. I have not noticed it yet, but it did not happen often so time will tell. There is a clip on the defrost grille right in the center of the left half, straight ahead of the driver that isn't in use. It's there, but nothing to clip into. There are two screw holes molded into the dash under the grille that are not in use. I'm guessing maybe they are for the driver alert display on the XL models that shows the red dots on the windshield?? I found it odd that there's not a dummy piece under there with a hole for the defroster vent to clip into. I can't see how all XLT and above defroster grilles wouldn't "buzz"/rattle against the dash. It literally looks like something is missing under the defrost cover/grille.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I've used an app on my phone before for isolating rattle noises. It's call Simple Tone Generator 440Hz. Get ready to give your speakers a work out. (and your ears)

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I now have a horrible rattle in the rear passenger side area. Definitely not the seat belt. It sound like the rear window assembly or something crazy, it's loud! Anyone else have this?

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I now have a horrible rattle in the rear passenger side area. Definitely not the seat belt. It sound like the rear window assembly or something crazy, it's loud! Anyone else have this?
My wife just mentioned something like this today. When she gets home from work I'll investigate.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
@HoosierT . I found what my wife was complaining about today. There's a piece of 2' door gasket between the bed and the cab. That was running and sounded awful. Kinda like a leaf spring bushing creaking. I oiled the shit out of it and no more creaks! I plan on removing it when I have a little more time. The one on the drivers side wasn't even installed correctly (all twisted up) and I'm going to have to remove that just to fix it.

V1KT3R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Same! This is what brought me to this thread and now I see everyone talking about the defrost rattle, so that sounds fun to look forward to. I will say that I constantly have to realign the front passenger seatbelt so if anyone finds a silencer for that thing before I cut it off. . .

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I live off of a dirt road. Today, I developed a loud rattle when riding over bumps. It sounds like it’s behind the radio, and is best heard through the a/c vent.
Any help here would be appreciated. I wonder if the blower motor is loose?
Regards
Doc
Sponsored