Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi all,
I have noticed for the last 3-4 thousand miles of driving or so, that when I use the heater or turn above 65 degrees exactly, then I get this really nasty rotten smell.
I didn’t notice it until now because I live in Houston, and I’ve only really needed to use the heater like 2-3 times... could it just be a dirty cabin filter?
Sponsored

FASRanger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2014 Mustang GT/CS and a 1989 GT Mustang vert.
Occupation
Aerospace Lab Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,
I have noticed for the last 3-4 thousand miles of driving or so, that when I use the heater or turn above 65 degrees exactly, then I get this really nasty rotten smell.
I didn’t notice it until now because I live in Houston, and I’ve only really needed to use the heater like 2-3 times... could it just be a dirty cabin filter?
sounds like it to me...I've never had a vehicle before my 14 Stang with a cabin filter so sounds reasonable.. I remember my 1st time checking my girlfriends cabin filter in her Jetta after finding out it had one... oh my!!! it was hideous!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP

Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
sounds like it to me...I've never had a vehicle before my 14 Stang with a cabin filter so sounds reasonable.. I remember my 1st time checking my girlfriends cabin filter in her Jetta after finding out it had one... oh my!!! it was hideous!!!!!!!!!
Yea, I was thinking it might be, especially since I drove it through a moist forest and then a lot of dry dusty gravel roads. However, I actually needed to use the heater for a good 30 minutes or so and now the smell is gone. Maybe just needed to run out that new heater smell or something not sure. If I smell it again, I’ll check the cabin filter.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Nah not really an electrical smell per say. I also checked my VIN against that recall and got nothing
Yeah mine smells that way as well. Only happens when it transitions from lower temp to higher temp. However, quickly goes away soon after. Don't think it's anything serious and I've just learned to live with it.

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Been discussed before. Ford says the smell is lithium grease in the airduct. I've 11k on my Ranger. The smell went away at about 7k

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Anyone know if the Lithium grease in the airduct is from assembly or just some seepage from some part I've got the same musty smell usually i just run the heat full hot on high for 30 minutes once a week or so to try to help burn it out

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I get a little of that electrical smell but no big deal.
Sponsored