Ugh, rattle!

soloer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I’ve had my Ranger for just over a month now and for the past week I’ve had a weird little rattle coming from my passenger side when I go over a harder bump in the road.. or as I discovered earlier, when starting the truck. I tried taking everything out of the glove compartment, center console, etc.. still rattle. I checked all the seat belts, rear window, made sure nothing was under the seats or in the door storage.. still rattle. For the heck of it I tried holding the passenger seat back and.. no rattle! Now this was only tested while starting and stopping the truck, but at least it’s a start. Does anyone have a clue what it might be?

For context, last week right before the rattle started, I had a bunch of baseboard in my truck that was too bouncy to put in the back (since I forgot my tie downs), so I had laid the passenger seat back and had the baseboard going from the passenger floor to the rear window. There was no rattle before that.
Sponsored

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I clicked in the passenger side seat belt. stopped my rattle .but now that I know what it is it doesn't seem to bother me lol !!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The passenger seat belt has a bad habit of not returning to its resting position flat. If it doesn't it will rattle - you just have to make it lay flat and the rattle goes away. At least that is how it has been for a lot of people.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The passenger seat belt has a bad habit of not returning to its resting position flat. If it doesn't it will rattle - you just have to make it lay flat and the rattle goes away. At least that is how it has been for a lot of people.
yes, it's amazing how irritating that little piece of plastic+metal can be. :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Has just become a habit for me to wait for the wife to get out of the truck, then just reach over and flip the seat belt over. Just like turning off ASS switch as soon as I start it

OP
OP
soloer

soloer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I checked that but I may look again. Certainly can’t hurt!

fah3

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I’m noticing what appears to be a passenger side rattle as well. Mine appears around 30 MPH.

It’s not the seat belt or anything in the glove box or console; checked all of those.

I know rattles can be very difficult to source as where they “sound” like they are coming from can be far away from their actual source.

OP
OP
soloer

soloer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Well, wasn't the seat belt, unfortunately. I'll keep looking.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Mine rattles alot now (17K miles) I am not too triggered by it yet, but I'm sure it will only get worse. I thought about taking some dielectric and greasing some of the trim pieces so they don't squeak anymore, but I've not been irritated enough to do it yet.

fah3

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I am pretty sure a contributor to the rattle is the plastic cover by the rear view mirror vibrating off the windshield.

Mine has a fair amount of play on the passenger side. I’m thinking a little felt around the edge may tighten the fit and/or absorb the noise.

Has anyone popped this cover off yet? Does it come off easily or are there plastic clips that are prone to breaking?

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I g
I am pretty sure a contributor to the rattle is the plastic cover by the rear view mirror vibrating off the windshield.

Mine has a fair amount of play on the passenger side. I’m thinking a little felt around the edge may tighten the fit and/or absorb the noise.

Has anyone popped this cover off yet? Does it come off easily or are there plastic clips that are prone to breaking?
I got this rattle, I describe it more like a buzz, from my camera cover on the windshield the other day. More concerning for me is I also have a buzz coming from the defrost outlet cover on the dash driver side. When I inspected this cover, I can easily push down on the dash where the cover meets the dash and there is a clip I can see, but nothing to clip it into. This is directly straight ahead centered on the instrument cluster where the dash meets the defrost vent outlet cover. It almost looks as tho something is missing?? They both happen (when they happen) at low rpm lugging. I'm gonna try some felt on the defrost vent cover, it is the most consistent and annoying. I "manipulated" the camera cover the other day, which was the first time I noticed it, and it hasn't buzzed since.

Last edited:

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Look in the sunglass holder. Sometimes your sunglasses can rattle above your head

OP
OP
soloer

soloer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Look in the sunglass holder. Sometimes your sunglasses can rattle above your head
One of the first things I checked as I’ve run into that before as well. Good advice though!
Sponsored