Nasty rattle...

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Anybody else have a nasty rattle on the top driver's side of the dash over even the slightest bump? It kind of almost seems it only does it when the defrost is on and cool outside. I can stop it, I think, by pushing down and applying pressure on the dash piece that's behind the dash "cover". This is going to bug the hell out of me!
Sponsored

Last edited:

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had a rattle too. Drove me nuts. Sounded like somewhere in front of me around the dash. Took me 2 weeks to find it. Turned out it wasn't inside. It was the driver side wheel front well shroud where the marker light is. There is some of those push pin retainers. One that I couldn't see. There is an indentation there that hides one. Push in all the way and the rattle stopped. Found it when popping around tapping things and noticed it would rattle a lot. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
SpaceRanger

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a rattle too. Drove me nuts. Sounded like somewhere in front of me around the dash. Took me 2 weeks to find it. Turned out it wasn't inside. It was the driver side wheel front well shroud where the marker light is. There is some of those push pin retainers. One that I couldn't see. There is an indentation there that hides one. Push in all the way and the rattle stopped. Found it when popping around tapping things and noticed it would rattle a lot. Hope that helps.
Woooah. Did this actually fix your rattle that you heard on the inside? I don't think it'll be this because I SWEAR that it only does it when the defrost is on. I mean, I hope it's as easy as your fix because if not, it's in the dash and I'll never get rid of it.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Woooah. Did this actually fix your rattle that you heard on the inside? I don't think it'll be this because I SWEAR that it only does it when the defrost is on. I mean, I hope it's as easy as your fix because if not, it's in the dash and I'll never get rid of it.
Yes...
Here is what probably happened.
We are all hell bent in customizing our trucks. I removed a couple fasteners so I can confirm the marker light wire color. Because this pushpin is hard to see even with my wheel turned, I'm thinking when I pulled out the shroud, not knowing there was a hidden one and I inadvertently pulled it out half way without realizing it. Before you go nuts, just go over to your wheel well and see if it rattles a lot by just tapping on it. If it does, just reach in, feel for that dang pin and press it in till it snaps.

OP
OP
SpaceRanger

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes...
Here is what probably happened.
We are all hell bent in customizing our trucks. I removed a couple fasteners so I can confirm the marker light wire color. Because this pushpin is hard to see even with my wheel turned, I'm thinking when I pulled out the shroud, not knowing there was a hidden one and I inadvertently pulled it out half way without realizing it. Before you go nuts, just go over to your wheel well and see if it rattles a lot by just tapping on it. If it does, just reach in, feel for that dang pin and press it in till it snaps.
Yeah, I already looked. And I've been there, damn pushpins. Haha "It's ok if 4 out of 8 are in because I can't find the other 4!" Sadly, it's not that. But I swear it's coming from the dash. Applying pressure stops the rattle. I take my hand off and it comes right back. Ugh.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Worth a shot and now you know for the future. Any chance you dropped some coin in there or a toy soldier? lol..
Rattles bug the hell out of me too. That's what drove me nuts for 2 weeks to find it. In the old days, they use to say, what rattle.. Just turn the music up louder.. hehe...

fah3

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
There’s another thread on rattles on here you should read thru.

I have isolated at least one of the them to the sensor cover behind the rearview mirror. At low speeds/bumpy road it rattles off the wind shield. If I apply pressure it stops. I’m probably going to add a soft spacer to firm up the fitment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpaceRanger

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s another thread on rattles on here you should read thru.
I'll have to surf through that thread. But I THINK I narrowed it down to which plastic piece is doing it on the dash. The vent or grill or chute where the defroster blows through seems to be the culprit. I heard rattle after rattle coming back from the dealership this morning (with defroster on, about, 50 degrees outside). I was actually coming back from having them look at a laundry list of things (water spots on gauge cluster, front sensor out of place, PCM update, back seat latch being replaced, etc.). I SHOULD have mentioned it to them but I didn't want to be TOOOO picky. HA! But, I'll see what happens after they replace the cluster since they have to tear the dash apart. Maybe I'll have good reason for them to tear it all apart again. :(

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I'll have to surf through that thread. But I THINK I narrowed it down to which plastic piece is doing it on the dash. The vent or grill or chute where the defroster blows through seems to be the culprit. I heard rattle after rattle coming back from the dealership this morning (with defroster on, about, 50 degrees outside). I was actually coming back from having them look at a laundry list of things (water spots on gauge cluster, front sensor out of place, PCM update, back seat latch being replaced, etc.). I SHOULD have mentioned it to them but I didn't want to be TOOOO picky. HA! But, I'll see what happens after they replace the cluster since they have to tear the dash apart. Maybe I'll have good reason for them to tear it all apart again. :(
I had a buzz coming from the defroster grille. I popped the whole thing off and put velcro backing (the soft side, it's like felt) down the edges and fixed it. The center plastic piece above the radio, under the mirror on the dash comes off first, it's tight, but a plastic pry tool pooped it right off. Then work from one end to the other of the defroster grille with the tool and it pops off. I put thin strips along the edges where it was vibrating off the dash. Especially right in front of the speedometer as there's a clip on the grille but nothing to clip into on the dash. I mentioned this in the rattle thread. My mirror camera cover rattles on rough roads. I can not get it to pop off to put the velcro backing on it so I'm not sure how to fix it.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Heard it a couple times, just on cold mornings. As you said I can reach straight forward and press down where the two pieces of dash meet to make it stop, then it just goes away and I forget about it. I,ll have to have another look.

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
I have this same rattle as well; I tried a few different ways to fix it with no luck, so I ended up going to Autozone. I went down the "ricer" aisle and found an interior accent strip that slips in-between panels. It looks cheap, but the rattle stopped.
upload_2019-10-18_18-18-15.png

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I have this same rattle as well; I tried a few different ways to fix it with no luck, so I ended up going to Autozone. I went down the "ricer" aisle and found an interior accent strip that slips in-between panels. It looks cheap, but the rattle stopped.
upload_2019-10-18_18-18-15.png
What’s it made of? A quick coat of black paint and it would be barely noticeable!

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
What’s it made of? A quick coat of black paint and it would be barely noticeable!
It looks like some generic flexible plastic. i will probably keep it as is until winter is over, then remove it since there is no adhesive holding it in. The vibration was only noticeable when it gets cold. There could be a black one out there; Autozone only had red or blue.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw