Sonny McGee

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2019 Race Red Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I already looked. And I've been there, damn pushpins. Haha "It's ok if 4 out of 8 are in because I can't find the other 4!" Sadly, it's not that. But I swear it's coming from the dash. Applying pressure stops the rattle. I take my hand off and it comes right back. Ugh.

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Was at the dealer to drop my truck off for usual maintenance, and went to look at the other Ranger on the lot while I waited. I saw that some of the XL Rangers have their emergency braking LED's right where this rattle occurs. That might be why there is a clip there but no receptacle. The receptacle would probably get in the way of the LED's on the XL Rangers.
(Sorry for bad pic)

upload_2019-11-5_17-30-28.png

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
I bought some of the black panel trim from ebay. It did not fix my dash rattle, which is fine as I really dislike the look. Back to the drawing board.

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
I bought some of the black panel trim from ebay. It did not fix my dash rattle, which is fine as I really dislike the look. Back to the drawing board.
I ended up removing the trim i added as well, it was a little too cheap looking for me. i am trying a few more things to see if i can get the rattling to stop, i will add to the thread if any of them work. Let me know if you find anything that works.

Sonny McGee

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have an annoying rattle in my dash. I know it is the dash because if I push on the dash it will stop. I have taken it to the dealership and they can't find it. Anyone else have this problem? It is driving me nuts.

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
I have an annoying rattle in my dash. I know it is the dash because if I push on the dash it will stop. I have taken it to the dealership and they can't find it. Anyone else have this problem? It is driving me nuts.
The rattle i have experienced is where the dash meets the defrost vents. If you push down on the dash right over the gauge cluster you can see underneath the defrost vent bezel and there is a clip there with no receptacle. i think that is causing the rattle for me.
upload_2019-11-7_19-53-4.png

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
I think I found a solution, it requires some 1" backer rod (you can find at your local hardware store).
upload_2019-11-8_17-54-15.png

Pull up on the defrost vent bezel until the clips detach.

upload_2019-11-8_17-58-37.png

Then take 9" of the backer rod and tuck in just underneath the dash cavity over the gauge cluster (where rattle occurs) ... WARNING... try to keep the backer rod as close to the edge of the dash as you can, it should tuck nicely under the lip of the dash no need to push it farther back. If you push it further back your will still be OK there are two blocks under the dash that will keep it from going too far and hitting circuit boards. The further towards the gauge cluster you go the less effective it is in stopping the rattle, and it becomes very difficult to get back out.

I have tried a few different types of foam, the backer rod seems to work the best at raising the dash and tightening the gap between the defrost bezel and dash

upload_2019-11-8_18-15-6.png

(different type of foam)

So far it has stopped the rattle and leaves no evidence of modification. Only taken it on a few drives i will update if it continues to work.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I just developed this rattle this morning.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Seems cold weather and use of defrost brings it on, I dont notice it other than in the morning when I have the defrost cranked up, I guess it maybe expands with the heat and starts the rattle.

bb1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hot Pepper Red XLT
Seems cold weather and use of defrost brings it on, I dont notice it other than in the morning when I have the defrost cranked up, I guess it maybe expands with the heat and starts the rattle.
Noticed it yesterday morning as well with the defrost on. 700 mi on the truck.

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Once it goes below forty degrees for me, it sounds like a hoard of bees is trying to escape from my dash.

Drove it today still no rattles,:like: when i go to work on Monday i will see if it rattles at all on my morning commute.

Tried to take one more picture of the backer rod behind the dash, you can kind of see where it tucks under the dash in the mirror.

upload_2019-11-9_10-56-1.png

Sonny McGee

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think I found a solution, it requires some 1" backer rod (you can find at your local hardware store).
upload_2019-11-8_17-54-15.png

Pull up on the defrost vent bezel until the clips detach.

upload_2019-11-8_17-58-37.png

Then take 9" of the backer rod and tuck in just underneath the dash cavity over the gauge cluster (where rattle occurs) ... WARNING... try to keep the backer rod as close to the edge of the dash as you can, it should tuck nicely under the lip of the dash no need to push it farther back. If you push it further back your will still be OK there are two blocks under the dash that will keep it from going too far and hitting circuit boards. The further towards the gauge cluster you go the less effective it is in stopping the rattle, and it becomes very difficult to get back out.

I have tried a few different types of foam, the backer rod seems to work the best at raising the dash and tightening the gap between the defrost bezel and dash

upload_2019-11-8_18-15-6.png

(different type of foam)

So far it has stopped the rattle and leaves no evidence of modification. Only taken it on a few drives i will update if it continues to work.
I'm about to order some now!

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
I tried to take my ranger on some very rough roads in the snow this morning to see if it would rattle. It sounded like it started to rattle, but on roads like that everything rattles a bit so it was hard to tell. I'm calling it a success for me; let me know if it works for you or if you found a different way to stop the rattling. I think I might try doubling up the backer rod (add another in front of the original one) to see if I can stiffen up the dash a little more.

Sonny McGee

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to take my ranger on some very rough roads in the snow this morning to see if it would rattle. It sounded like it started to rattle, but on roads like that everything rattles a bit so it was hard to tell. I'm calling it a success for me; let me know if it works for you or if you found a different way to stop the rattling. I think I might try doubling up the backer rod (add another in front of the original one) to see if I can stiffen up the dash a little more.
The backer rod should arrive Wednesday. I'll let you know. Aside from the rattle I love my Ranger.
Sponsored