micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I have AAWireless module and its awesome! For short trips don't need to get my phone out of my pocket. For longer I can wireless charge or plug in - MY CHOICE.
Also have maps EVERY time I get in my truck.

I assume the Moto one is same as AAWilress and if I was really cynical I would say they stole the design! Moto is a Chinese company now for those that don't know and AAWireless is manufactured in China. Coincidence!? ?

Oh and Android Auto works fine for me, no issues.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I have AAWireless module and its awesome! For short trips don't need to get my phone out of my pocket. For longer I can wireless charge are plug in - MY CHOICE.
Also have maps EVERY time I get in my truck.

I assume the Moto one is same as AAWilress and if I was really cynical I would say they stole the design! Moto is a Chinese company now for those that don't know and AAWireless is manufactured in China. Coincidence!? ?

Oh and Android Auto works fine for me, no issues.
I just want to clear that highlighted statement up a bit.

There are 2 Motorola's. One is their former cell phone division, which was sold about 10 years ago to Google. Google a few years later sold it to Lenovo, which, for what it's worth, is headquartered in China.

The other Motorola is everything else that wasn't spun off in the 2000's, so the old original Motorola. They are still going strong in the 2-way wireless business, among other entities. Still headquartered in the US.

The product being sold is not associated with either. They're just paying to use the name. It is manufactured in China, just like most everything else.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to clear that highlighted statement up a bit.

There are 2 Motorola's. One is their former cell phone division, which was sold about 10 years ago to Google. Google a few years later sold it to Lenovo, which, for what it's worth, is headquartered in China.

The other Motorola is everything else that wasn't spun off in the 2000's, so the old original Motorola. They are still going strong in the 2-way wireless business, among other entities. Still headquartered in the US.

The product being sold is not associated with either. They're just paying to use the name. It is manufactured in China, just like most everything else.
Yes I was referring to the cell phone side. Figured its an android device it would be under them.

The Web page sure looks like the cell phone side and China, but whatever. My main point was AAWireless and Android Auto work great.

© 2021 Motorola Mobility LLC. All Rights Reserved

MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. and are used under license by Meizhou Guo Wei Electronics Co., Ltd. Trading as SGW Global.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
Just went through my Android Auto app and it has an option for bluetooth wireless. Have not tried it yet but will later on. An additional adapter may not even be needed.

Screenshot_20220111-050133.png

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, Lenovo and Motorola very interesting companies.
Lenovo is headquartered in Hong Kong and came into existence when Hong Kong was still a British territory, so it was a British company. It did not become a Chinese company until 1997 when the Brits gave Hong Kong back to China.

In 2011 Motorola split up into two entities Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions. It is Motorola Mobility that was sold to Google then Lenovo. Motorola Mobility is headquartered in Chicago and operates as a subsidery of Lenovo. Cell phone design work happens in the US, manufacturing happens in China or India.

Other Motorola branded products like headphones, cordless phones and cell phone accessories are designed and manufactured by other companies and have licensed the rights to use the Motorola brand (like Ford licensing the use the Shelby brand on Mustangs).

I worked for the original Motorola Inc. for 15 years and get my pension check every month from Motorola Solutions.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It does seem like one of these would be best paired with a wireless charging pad in the little dash cubby where the USB ports are located, though. wouldn't necessarily need it for short drives in town, but for longer road trips where I'm running nav and possibly streaming for hours, it might.
they go together. I'm finally getting around to a wireless AA adapter, so I went for a wireless charger also. both are kinda silly without having the other (IMO).
That's 3 USB ports needed for all that stuff. By physically plugging my phone in for both AA and charging, I still have a port available for stored music (I don't store music on my phone).
You probably want a wireless charger plugged into a different outlet anyway, the built-in ones are low-power. I just wired mine to a flat adapter in a 12V socket. others hard-wire to 12V source in the dash. so that leaves one sync port for a thumbdrive and one for wireless AA.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I heard about it today! I already have an order in for AA Wireless which is supposed to ship this month. Would be interested to know how it works!
Scott
It was pretty inevitable that the big manufacturers would start selling these once they saw there was money to be made. Based on my experience with motorola, I'd expect the original AA wireless will have better long-term support because motorola's commitment to products you've already given them money for is non-existent.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Just went through my Android Auto app and it has an option for bluetooth wireless. Have not tried it yet but will later on. An additional adapter may not even be needed.

Screenshot_20220111-050133.png
It's worth a try. But i am pretty sure BT will not work.
FWIW, Lenovo and Motorola very interesting companies.
Lenovo is headquartered in Hong Kong and came into existence when Hong Kong was still a British territory, so it was a British company. It did not become a Chinese company until 1997 when the Brits gave Hong Kong back to China.

In 2011 Motorola split up into two entities Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions. It is Motorola Mobility that was sold to Google then Lenovo. Motorola Mobility is headquartered in Chicago and operates as a subsidery of Lenovo. Cell phone design work happens in the US, manufacturing happens in China or India.

Other Motorola branded products like headphones, cordless phones and cell phone accessories are designed and manufactured by other companies and have licensed the rights to use the Motorola brand (like Ford licensing the use the Shelby brand on Mustangs).

I worked for the original Motorola Inc. for 15 years and get my pension check every month from Motorola Solutions.
Yeah I did 10 yrs at Nokia during their heyday. Intersting how companies change, Nokia, Moto, RIM.... and Apple!

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
Tried on my Chevy Spark and the Ranger. No Worky. Not sure what the bluetooth option is for in Android auto though.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Tried on my Chevy Spark and the Ranger. No Worky. Not sure what the bluetooth option is for in Android auto though.
It's so you can make phone calls through Android Auto. I thinking you haven't off and Android Auto is running on Sync you would have to get out of AA to make or receive phone calls.

AA will not work over Bluetooth because it requires to much band width. The latest version of Android and AA will work over WiFi but the reason for the adapter is Sync3 doesn't support AA over WiFi. With these adapters your phone connects to the adapter via WiFi and the adapter connects to Sync via USB.

Reactions: CHS

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I have the crowd sourced version from Kickstarter and it worked perfectly in the test ranger I drove before I ordered my custom one.

Northgator8

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
"A man with one clock always knows what time it is.
A man with two clocks never knows what time it is."

It's a semiannual ritual when we go on or off daylight savings time.
We have eleven clocks (12 incl the frickkin' pen), not incl electronic devices. I have an alarm app that displays the time with the seconds, and twice a year I walk my OCD self around the house and set each clock as close to the exact second as humanly possible. It can take a while, and I am especially fanatical with the ones in the kitchen, which are all in view. At the start of each minute, all four change simultaneously, like how all the TVs on display at Target change scenes at the same time.
We had 6 microwaves in the lunchroom at the consulting engineering office I worked at. OCD City! Every once in a while I would set them all one minute apart. But they did all change at the same second!

RARE5.0

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew Fx4 1988 Mustang Notch 5.0
I have it in my ranger it works perfect. Easy install too.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
I have to replace cables what seems like every 6 months. I'm wiring up a USB port off the fuse box to integrate a wireless charger and am putting a wireless adaptor for Android auto, but, I'm not impressed with the one first tried. I put in an Ottercast based on reviews and I'm sending it back. Buggy as hell even with latest firmware. Random static, random quality issues, random having to repair Bluetooth, and the item I just couldn't deal with, it doesn't transmit song info or Google maps info so that the right lariat 4 inch screen can show info which drives me nuts to see a blank screen.

Does anyone have the Motorola or other devices installed on a Lariat with the two side displays on the sides of the speedo and do they work? Good quality?