Possibly a wireless Android Auto connection?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Looks neat but I have some concerns.

As far as I can tell it's basses off the XDA forums "hack" that uses a second Android device to be the wireless receiver. People we're reported issues with it and needed to constantly unplug/reboot the second device.

I wouldn't trust anything that uses a hack or workaround to function. It could easily be patched out by Google tomorrow if they decided they don't like it.

I also don't trust these crowd funded hardware campaigns. Too many of them have gone under leave backers with nothing.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Looks neat but I have some concerns.

As far as I can tell it's basses off the XDA forums "hack" that uses a second Android device to be the wireless receiver. People we're reported issues with it and needed to constantly unplug/reboot the second device.

I wouldn't trust anything that uses a hack or workaround to function. It could easily be patched out by Google tomorrow if they decided they don't like it.

I also don't trust these crowd funded hardware campaigns. Too many of them have gone under leave backers with nothing.
That forty second connect wait is a bummer too. BMW seems to be the only auto manufacturer with wireless Android, surprised that hasn't been emulated. Unless that's what this is.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
That forty second connect wait is a bummer too. BMW seems to be the only auto manufacturer with wireless Android, surprised that hasn't been emulated. Unless that's what this is.
I believe Sync 4 will support wireless AA and CarPlay. Maybe a retrofit will be possible like it is from MyFordTouch to Sync 3?

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)

aklinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I downloaded the android 11 update (with included android auto update) to my pixel 3 yesterday, so in theory, I should have wireless AA on any head unit that is capable. Based on the info here: https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348029?hl=en
Our rangers (2017+) are on the compatible list. Had anyone else been able to get this to work?

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
I can't find the link to android???
my bad...I don't see a product for android phones either. Could have sworn I saw an offering for android phones on their product pages back when I bought mine.
As for how it works for iPhones, so far it has been flawless. Once you start your truck, it takes about 20 sec to sync up and then it's up and running.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Our rangers (2017+) are on the compatible list. Had anyone else been able to get this to work?
Rangers are not compatible. Wireless AA requires two things, a compatible phone and a head unit with the required hardware. Sync 3 doesn't have the required hardware.

In therory this adapter will be the needed hardware.

aklinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Rangers are not compatible. Wireless AA requires two things, a compatible phone and a head unit with the required hardware. Sync 3 doesn't have the required hardware.

In therory this adapter will be the needed hardware.
That's what I figured. Do you think you will "buy" the kickstarter option? I can't decide.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
That's what I figured. Do you think you will "buy" the kickstarter option? I can't decide.
No. I've seen too many of these hardware projects fail kickstarters fail and I'd rather wait and see if it's actually a good product first. It's one thing to have a working prototype and another to bring an assembly line up in China to produce it.

aklinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
No. I've seen too many of these hardware projects fail kickstarters fail and I'd rather wait and see if it's actually a good product first. It's one thing to have a working prototype and another to bring an assembly line up in China to produce it.
Good point. The only real use case for me is when I'm running tons of quick errands in and out of the truck. More than 75% of the time, I'm doing a longer drive where I want to be charging anyway.

Too bad it didn't "just work" with the update :rolleyes:

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Good point. The only real use case for me is when I'm running tons of quick errands in and out of the truck. More than 75% of the time, I'm doing a longer drive where I want to be charging anyway.

Too bad it didn't "just work" with the update :rolleyes:
I get it, it would be convenient. Give it a couple months and see. Like @VAMike said, if it works there will be 15 clones on Amazon in no time.
Sponsored