AA Wireless (turns Android Auto into wireless Android Auto)

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Got mine the other day and set it up today.

Setup was a breeze until I went to update the device to v 2.0.1. That could go better, but it's running again. When using the app to install the update, I get a status message "waiting for restart" and it's not clear if it wants an app restart, a device restart, or a Sync restart. I think it meant a Sync restart. I just needed to wait a bit extra after shutting the truck off for Sync to fully shut down.

Then after it restarted, AA wouldn't fire back up. Went through the app troubleshooting (the blinking green light option) and after restoring the device to defaults, everything worked as expected.

Now that I have a case for my phone that seals off the USB port, it'll be nice not needing to pop open that cover every time I get in the truck and want to use nav.

The device is definitely small. It even fits underneath my hacked together coroplast platform for the wireless charging base.

52111291390_b2761ce8bd.jpg

Before the AA Wireless addition
It would have meant it was waiting for the AAW device to restart and reconnect after finishing the firmware update. For anyone else who does an update - make sure to keep the power on the whole time while updating :)
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
It would have meant it was waiting for the AAW device to restart and reconnect after finishing the firmware update. For anyone else who does an update - make sure to keep the power on the whole time while updating :)
The AAW device wasn't doing anything after I downloaded the software onto the app and then installed it to the device. I waited for several minutes to see if the app was going to do a software restart. It never did.

I tried unplugging the AAW device. That didn't do anything. Rebooting my phone didn't do anything. Restarting the whole truck and then waiting for Sync to fully shut down before starting it again actually did the job.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
As a warning for users who are wanting to do Wireless charging and have Pixel 6 devices it will not work reliability. Tried several PD and QC 3.0 certified plugs, Hell I even ran the official Google USB-C charger and Spigen charger pad and nothing consistently worked. I think it has to with how hot the phone gets with wireless charging and Wireless Andriod Auto. I have given up on Wireless charging. If I have a long drive I will just plug into charger and use AA wirelessly.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
As a warning for users who are wanting to do Wireless charging and have Pixel 6 devices it will not work reliability. Tried several PD and QC 3.0 certified plugs, Hell I even ran the official Google USB-C charger and Spigen charger pad and nothing consistently worked. I think it has to with how hot the phone gets with wireless charging and Wireless Andriod Auto. I have given up on Wireless charging. If I have a long drive I will just plug into charger and use AA wirelessly.
Plugged into new USB ports or using the factory? The factory don't have enough juice.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
Both 12 volt adapter and Factory plug
Ugh, haven't wired my USB plug yet as I'm using the same fuse for my dash cam and line output converter and I'm not tackling that till next week but I hope I don't have issues.

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I have had issues with wireless charging while using Android Auto on both a Pixel 5 and Pixel 4 XL as well. Gets too hot. I plug into a USB-PD charger instead and it seems okay.
Sponsored