AA Wireless (turns Android Auto into wireless Android Auto)

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
One thing I have notice the little box can run warm. Once it reaches a certain temp I can't get it work reliability till I let it cool off. Mine is a pretty early unit so hopefully with newer versions this is not a problem

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
One thing I have notice the little box can run warm. Once it reaches a certain temp I can't get it work reliability till I let it cool off. Mine is a pretty early unit so hopefully with newer versions this is not a problem
Might be worth reaching out to them about this. I have 3 of these now and never had this happen.

GearHd6

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Are you all preordering these from the indiegogo website? Or is there somewhere else to get them from? Their site says shipping in May and almost 2800 claimed. Does that mean there's 2800 people ahead of me waiting for theirs?

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Are you all preordering these from the indiegogo website? Or is there somewhere else to get them from? Their site says shipping in May and almost 2800 claimed. Does that mean there's 2800 people ahead of me waiting for theirs?
Just indiegogo. They're getting close to selling them from their own site I think, but production has been slow up until recently. They seem to get 2000-3000 at a time (monthly). They've had to charge the design a couple of times to work around component shortages.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
Now if it could just get here. Cues Tom Petty, waiting is the hardest part....

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
that is: mostly, but sometimes not, for no apparent reason
hmm that's a bummer. I haven't noticed mine act up at all in that regard

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System administrator
Firmware update was quick and painless
The dash screen works
This thing is mega tiny. I won't see it as it's going below a charging tray soon but man.

When trying to use the ottocast I couldn't ever get it to update, it was larger than this, had quality issues with the signal, couldn't use my right 4 inch screen on the dash, and it cost way more.

I asked about Motorola only because it was certified so I assumed better luck, glad I went this route, thanks for the help.

Now if it could just get here. Cues Tom Petty, waiting is the hardest part....

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
just ordered one of these now that I've got wireless charging up and running.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System administrator
just ordered one of these now that I've got wireless charging up and running.
You won't be disappointed, this thing has worked flawlessly unlike the other product I tried that had issues daily.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
You won't be disappointed, this thing has worked flawlessly unlike the other product I tried that had issues daily.
I didn't originally mind plugging my phone in, but I got a new phone, and the new case has a rubber boot over the USB-C port, which has added hassle to the process that I'm seeking to eliminate.

The other driver is that I just got a rental truck for the summer, which is a $90,000 F-150 with wireless AA and I got to give it a test run. I liked it a little too much. That truck doesn't do wireless charging, though, which irked me.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System administrator
That would be dangerous to drive LOL

I didn't originally mind plugging my phone in, but I got a new phone, and the new case has a rubber boot over the USB-C port, which has added hassle to the process that I'm seeking to eliminate.

The other driver is that I just got a rental truck for the summer, which is a $90,000 F-150 with wireless AA and I got to give it a test run. I liked it a little too much. That truck doesn't do wireless charging, though, which irked me.

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
This thing is mega tiny. I won't see it as it's going below a charging tray soon but man.
I'm not sure but I think I saw that it fits under Dirk's 3D printed tray with room to spare :)

Edit: I misread your message and thought you said you don't see it fitting under a charger. Oops

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Got mine the other day and set it up today.

Setup was a breeze until I went to update the device to v 2.0.1. That could go better, but it's running again. When using the app to install the update, I get a status message "waiting for restart" and it's not clear if it wants an app restart, a device restart, or a Sync restart. I think it meant a Sync restart. I just needed to wait a bit extra after shutting the truck off for Sync to fully shut down.

Then after it restarted, AA wouldn't fire back up. Went through the app troubleshooting (the blinking green light option) and after restoring the device to defaults, everything worked as expected.

Now that I have a case for my phone that seals off the USB port, it'll be nice not needing to pop open that cover every time I get in the truck and want to use nav.

The device is definitely small. It even fits underneath my hacked together coroplast platform for the wireless charging base.

52111291390_b2761ce8bd.jpg

Before the AA Wireless addition
Sponsored