First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if this will interfere with sync in anyway...
Can't see it interfering anymore than wired Android Auto. I got a wireless CarPlay adapter for my wife's Jeep. It works pretty well, the only issue is if I take her car I need to unplug the adapter in order to get uConnect to connect to my phone.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
So you plug this into a USB? So not really wireless Android Auto. It just saves you the 1.5 seconds it takes to plug in a USB from your phone to truck. Plus you phone isn't being charged with this adapter, as it would if the phone was directly connected.
And I have never had AA not work for me.

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So you plug this into a USB? So not really wireless Android Auto. It just saves you the 1.5 seconds it takes to plug in a USB from your phone to truck. Plus you phone isn't being charged with this adapter, as it would if the phone was directly connected.
it isn't about the time it takes. for me it is better to have wireless because I have had a couple of phones had issue with the usb connector going bad after plugging and unplugging over the years

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Can't see it interfering anymore than wired Android Auto. I got a wireless CarPlay adapter for my wife's Jeep. It works pretty well, the only issue is if I take her car I need to unplug the adapter in order to get uConnect to connect to my phone.
There comes a time when we reach a saturation point; tech for its own sake.
Like the ballpoint pen I got for buying a Medicare supplemental plan. It not only has a little led light in the clicker, but also a miniature LCD clock!!
Now I can sit at my kitchen table and see with the 5-bulb chandelier off while writing out bills, and not have to look up at the four other clocks in the appliances to see what time it is!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
There comes a time when we reach a saturation point; tech for its own sake.
Like the ballpoint pen I got for buying a Medicare supplemental plan. It not only has a little led light in the clicker, but also a miniature LCD clock!!
Now I can sit at my kitchen table and see with the 5-bulb chandelier off while writing out bills, and not have to look up at the four other clocks in the appliances to see what time it is!
But are all those clocks synchronized? If not, how do you really know which is the real time? :frown:

Joke:
Every morning for years, at about 11:30, the telephone operator in a small Sierra-Nevada town received a call from a man asking the exact time.

One day the operator summed up nerve enough to ask him why the regularity.

"I'm foreman of the local sawmill," he explained. "Every day I have to blow the whistle at noon so I call you to get the exact time."

The operator giggled, "That's really funny," she said. "All this time we've been setting our clock by your whistle.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
it isn't about the time it takes. for me it is better to have wireless because I have had a couple of phones had issue with the usb connector going bad after plugging and unplugging over the years
Had that problem in my semi. My solution for that in the Ranger is a USB-to-USBc adapter cord that stays plugged in. When it wears out, I can just replace it with one from the C-store.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
But are all those clocks synchronized? If not, how do you really know which is the real time? :frown:
we've been setting our clock by your whistle.
"A man with one clock always knows what time it is.
A man with two clocks never knows what time it is."

It's a semiannual ritual when we go on or off daylight savings time.
We have eleven clocks (12 incl the frickkin' pen), not incl electronic devices. I have an alarm app that displays the time with the seconds, and twice a year I walk my OCD self around the house and set each clock as close to the exact second as humanly possible. It can take a while, and I am especially fanatical with the ones in the kitchen, which are all in view. At the start of each minute, all four change simultaneously, like how all the TVs on display at Target change scenes at the same time.

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Had that problem in my semi. My solution for that in the Ranger is a USB-to-USBc adapter cord that stays plugged in. When it wears out, I can just replace it with one from the C-store.
I am more talking about the problem on the phone itself.

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Joke:
Every morning for years, at about 11:30, the telephone operator in a small Sierra-Nevada town received a call from a man asking the exact time.

One day the operator summed up nerve enough to ask him why the regularity.

"I'm foreman of the local sawmill," he explained. "Every day I have to blow the whistle at noon so I call you to get the exact time."

The operator giggled, "That's really funny," she said. "All this time we've been setting our clock by your whistle.
Oh I hate when clocks aren't sync'd. Problem is running fast enough to get them set at the same time. And the stove is the worst cause it has no back button. If I go too far then I need to start all over.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
I am more talking about the problem on the phone itself.
I have a Jurassic era Apple iPhone 6s I've used for several years for my main phone. It gets plugged in a few times a day, and the USBc (lightning) female connector seems pretty robust. The Chinesium power cords wear out with regularity but phone's end is trouble free.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Any phone with Android at or higher than v9.0 supports wireless Android Auto. It is the auto manufacturers that have been slow to update
their hardware to support wireless Android Auto. I believe Sync4 supports it.

I would contend that it is wireless Android Auto since you no longer need to plug your phone in to have Android Auto running on Sync. My phone resides in my pocket and I find it a pain in the butt to have to take it out of my pocket every time I get in the car and plug it in. Over the past 7 or 8 years all my phone's will run for at least 24 hours without a charge, I would estimate that I have only had to plug it in a 1/2 dozen times because I needed a charge. Everyone must make their own decision if the benefits out way the cost but for me it is a no brainer to have one.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I'd may grab one of these, but I dunno. I've always felt that USB-C plugs have an insufficient "click" when seated, and that's caused issues from time to time.

It does seem like one of these would be best paired with a wireless charging pad in the little dash cubby where the USB ports are located, though. wouldn't necessarily need it for short drives in town, but for longer road trips where I'm running nav and possibly streaming for hours, it might.

still, that might create some issues because on long trips I also often have stored music. That's 3 USB ports needed for all that stuff. By physically plugging my phone in for both AA and charging, I still have a port available for stored music (I don't store music on my phone).

maybe just use the physical cord for longer road trips, and the wireless adapter for short daily use?

Options are nice, though.

sokolich

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Accountant
I heard about it today! I already have an order in for AA Wireless which is supposed to ship this month. Would be interested to know how it works!
Scott
Sponsored