Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I just fill up a 5 gallon bucket and leave it at autozone... I hate autozone

I quit changing my oil years ago because getting rid of the old oil is such a PITFA!
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I quit changing my oil years ago because getting rid of the old oil is such a PITFA!
We have curbside recycling of used oil. Just have to put it in a plastic jug with a lid and they will pick it up. I change the oil in all of our vehicles and it is easy peasy.

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
I don't usually use a dealer for oil changes (aside from them giving free oil changes for the life of the financing) but Wiscassett Ford is awesome. Not too far from you, I've bought the last eight Fords from them and they have great service. Ask for Jenny and say the Cifelli's sent you.

Last edited:

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I used to lay on the cold ground and save the oil until the 5 gallon bucket was overflowing before I took it to a recycling center.

Now I sit in the waiting room on my laptop working making more than enough to pay for the oil change.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Only thing I change oil on these days are the motorcycles.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Many, many moons ago I worked at a garage next to a railroad track and the storage buildings had rat holes around them. We poured oil in the rat holes for years before they finally filled up.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I really would rather take it to the dealer, but when I took my explorer there, I gave them two bottles of full-synthetic and asked them to use that, and they didn't. :explode:
Reminds me of a sign I used to see in gas stations when most of them did light service work. Something along these lines:

SHOP RATE
  • BASIC: $10/hr
  • IF YOU WATCH: $15/hr
  • IF YOU HELP: $20/hr
  • IF WE USE YOUR PARTS: $25/hr

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
  • BASIC: $10/hr
  • IF YOU WATCH: $15/hr
  • IF YOU HELP: $20/hr
  • IF WE USE YOUR PARTS: $25/hr
So the oil for this turbocharged Ranger is a Synthetic Blend. Which is fine, except there are no standards for what constitutes a "blend." So a company can take one drop of a synthetic motor oil and put it into a bottle of conventional oil and it is a "Synthetic Blend." I understand that the blended motorcraft oil meets all the standards, but I prefer to use full synthetic and if I take my Ranger to the dealership, they will not put full synthetic into it.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
" I quit changing my oil years ago because getting rid of the old oil is such a PITFA! "

i thought you just drained it down the driveway into the storm sewer catch basins....am I doing it wrong??
I used to just pour it along the edge of my garage until I noticed the leaves on my big maple tree were turning an unnatural color.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Autozones must be hit-and-miss. Our local one is great: several guys that work there really know their stuff and are a pleasure to work with.

oil and filters are half price at menards or wally world. back before I finally got my own code reader I'd go there and they would try to sell me wrong "fixes". I'm on the eighth duralast branded wiper motor for he hearse but that came with a lifetime warranty and now I can change it in the rain in 5 minutes. I finally learned to buy my parts at Car Parts Warehouse. same warranties and half the cost and the guys who work there love working on cars

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
My father did a great job of teaching me to HATE wrenching on cars (but I love doing all sorts of other jobs myself, so go figure). I did it when I was younger out of necessity. But nowadays I'm financially secure enough that I can pay someone else to do it.

I just won't touch quick lube places. One place didn't install the oil plug right on my wife's Jeep once. It fell out in the driveway and drained a good bit of the oil there.

Another place didn't install the bolts on the brake caliper of my Honda correctly after just doing a stupid state inspection (can't DIY that one). When I finally figured out what was making the "thunk" noise (mostly inconsistent, but there was ONE bump in town that did it consistently), one bolt was gone and the other one had nearly fallen out.

I dunno what to do about my wife, though. She's BAD about taking her car in for service. I mean, if I was DIYing the job, sure, I'd do it for her. But she can make an appt on her own and drive it over to the dealer. I've decided to start setting reminders on her phone to make that appointment.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
So the oil for this turbocharged Ranger is a Synthetic Blend. Which is fine, except there are no standards for what constitutes a "blend." So a company can take one drop of a synthetic motor oil and put it into a bottle of conventional oil and it is a "Synthetic Blend." I understand that the blended motorcraft oil meets all the standards, but I prefer to use full synthetic and if I take my Ranger to the dealership, they will not put full synthetic into it.
They won't put your full synthetic in at their standard price, but they should be able to use full synthetic, if they carry it, at their price. Below is a screenshot from the Ford Pass App:
Vehicle> Service & Support> Vehicle> Next> The Works - Maintenance Team> scroll down to view choices. It may be the case that not all Ford Dealers will do an oil change with full synthetic, but mine does at additional cost. This example is for a Ford Escape (mine) so the price shown would be higher for 6.2qts, but my dealer will use full synthetic and charge for it.
IMG_0136.png

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
" I quit changing my oil years ago because getting rid of the old oil is such a PITFA! "

i thought you just drained it down the driveway into the storm sewer catch basins....am I doing it wrong??
It is advisable to cut it with gasoline or paint thinner so it gets all the way to the river. Oil floats on water so the fish should be ok.
Sponsored