Long range fuel tank

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Not saying I have a need for 30+ gallons, but I sure wish there was an option for more than the factory offered. My personal preference would be around 24-25 gallons.
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
quality looks nice, but seems like it sits below the frame rail by a coupe inches ? Hopefully I'm not seeing that right in the picture...

the factory tank with the crappy little skit plate site above the frame rail, and I have scraped that rail on long sections of rock more than once.... would be a bit terrifying for me to have a steel tank sitting lower in that area.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
quality looks nice, but seems like it sits below the frame rail by a coupe inches ? Hopefully I'm not seeing that right in the picture...

the factory tank with the crappy little skit plate site above the frame rail, and I have scraped that rail on long sections of rock more than once.... would be a bit terrifying for me to have a steel tank sitting lower in that area.
By chance is your truck still stock or did you do a leveling kit forklift kit?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The Australian option under discussion is a replacement. We do not offer any aux tanks for pick ups and also none that are gravity feed.

We cannot tell you what the ground clearance of the new steel tank is, since we do not have a before/after, but the photos below provide some points of reference regarding updated clearance.

As for weight added, I also don't know weight of the stock tank/skid plate. The weight of the LRA tank shown below is approximately 100 lbs. Hypothetically, if the stock tank/skid is 30 lbs, then there's a 70 lb. increase. If the new tank holds 35 gallons, the increase is 16 gallons. At 6.3 lbs./gallon, the new full fuel tank will increase weight by 101 lbs. (fuel difference) and 70 lbs. for a total of 171 lbs. low and in the middle of the truck. Not a bad place to carry added weight.

In our experience with more extreme increases - like a 100 Series Land Cruiser with 80 gallons of fuel in total - the added weight is found by their owners find the cost and weight to be acceptable tradeoffs for the functional value received.

We are not saying 171 lbs. is not a lot of weight, but it might be worth it for some owners.

1594334062022.png

1594334074854.png

Not thrilled about the tank hanging below the frame,,, why wouldn't they make it longer (fill the void in the front) and make it shallower?

OEB0630

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Certainly interested! My biggest grip in this new truck (2 weeks now) is the lack of fuel. I go on very remote, long hunting trips......so a larger tank would be phenomenal.

As others have stated: as long as I am not sacrificing clearance........

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
By chance is your truck still stock or did you do a leveling kit forklift kit?
its lifted, 2.5" front on eibach shocks. longer shackles in back. 32" tires.
I push my truck pretty hard.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I’d be in for one if we can keep it above or even with the frame.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Something ibhave noticed recently is the possible hang from that tank is a skid plate. Not sure if others have noticed or not but that os what it looks like.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Would love a higher capacity tank or tanks, but it or they must absolutely be lodged well above the lowest point on the frame. "Even" with the frame is still too low....
I could handle a skid plate for it being 'even' with the frame, and that means a good inch or so of clearance between the skid and the tank.

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2013 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
North American Distributor of Steel Fuel Tanks and Rear Bumper Systems from Australia
Thanks for all the comments. We are listening.

A successful product is one that works as designed, meets needs of buyers and of sellers.

Our partners in Australia have designed, manufactured and sold tanks around the world for over 30 years. They know what they are doing and are well equipped to respond to market demand.

In the development process, we will assess your needs/preferences and the range of options available to maximize capacity while limiting loss of clearance.

The Australian market is tolerant of occasional "rubs and scrubs" on the bottom of their steel tanks with 2mm sheet steel vs. plastic/tin tanks and guards.

At some point, we hope to be able to offer a specific solution "xx gallons above the frame bottom" as an example. The current Australian diesel tank as shown in photos is a point of beginning at 35 +/- gallons and some loss of clearance.

Stay tuned and thanks again for the input!

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2013 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
North American Distributor of Steel Fuel Tanks and Rear Bumper Systems from Australia
There's probably some difference in butt clenching dragging a steel tank of diesel vs dragging a steel tank of petrol
They have gassers as well. Point is that the tanks don't leak, even when used in a robust manner. Not suggesting it shouldn't be an issue if your butt says it is, just that the Aussies seem not to have the same degree of concern as they use them.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
They have gassers as well. Point is that the tanks don't leak, even when used in a robust manner. Not suggesting it shouldn't be an issue if your butt says it is, just that the Aussies seem not to have the same degree of concern as they use them.
Who the heck overlands in Australia and doesn't drive a diesel? Their gas option has rental fleet written all over it.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I do wish the stock tank was a little larger - but 35ish gallons is more than I'll ever need. I do get out into the back country a fair bit, but not for long enough to warrant such a large tank. If there was an option for something like 25ish gallons I'd be interested.
Sponsored