First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I am sure that the crash safety reasons are why a rear add on tank isnt a thing for the trucks here. Makes perfect sense to me. Would this be good for long trips? Sure, especially if you are towing then you dont have to worry about the lower MPG's for a while. It is definitely great for the offroad as well for the same reason. Is this for everyone? No but im still sure plenty would like the option.
Well... that and there is absolutely no space whatsoever in the rear to add a gas tank.

Did any truck manufacturer ever put a gas tank in the rear of a pickup truck frame?

They put them inside the cab and outside the frame rails, as well as between the frame rails.

On cars, sure they put them in the rear. But trucks? Not to my recollection.... if I'm wrong please educate me.
Sponsored

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
They used to replace the spare tire with a second tank, and then your spare was mounted in the bed. My dad had an auxiliary tank in the bed for his F250 but that was diesel.

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
There's a fair amount of room in front if the tank extends farther (I do wonder why it's just a blank cavity). It almost looks like they left space for a tank extension.

1594308864230.png

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
They used to replace the spare tire with a second tank, and then your spare was mounted in the bed. My dad had an auxiliary tank in the bed for his F250 but that was diesel.
My 1983 Ranger with duel tanks was the same way. The second tank was mounted in back where the spare tire would normally go. The spare mounted to a bracket n the left side of the bed right behind the driver.

Here is a photo. It is not my truck but mine was the same color.

ford-ranger-1983-9.jpg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There's a fair amount of room in front if the tank extends farther (I do wonder why it's just a blank cavity). It almost looks like they left space for a tank extension.
It's not in their interest to make the largest possible tank by default because the extra weight negatively impacts the fuel economy rating. They might even make it an option in the future, but they seem to have tried to keep the assembly line as simple as possible for this generation.

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
It's not in their interest to make the largest possible tank by default because the extra weight negatively impacts the fuel economy rating. They might even make it an option in the future, but they seem to have tried to keep the assembly line as simple as possible for this generation.
Right, they tried to port it over from ROW pretty closely and simplify design work which is why they didn't reuse a tank size from the F150.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
My 1983 Ranger with duel tanks was the same way. The second tank was mounted in back where the spare tire would normally go. The spare mounted to a bracket n the left side of the bed right behind the driver.

Here is a photo. It is not my truck but mine was the same color.
Interesting, thanks for the reply.

Was that a factory installed option, a dealer installed option or an aftermarket set-up?

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

Was that a factory installed option, a dealer installed option or an aftermarket set-up?
I remember a lot of trucks and some vans having 2 tanks from the Factory. I want to say it was towards the late 90's they started to phase it out all together. Now it doesn't stop other countries from doing it as either a factory or aftermarket option but to do that you most likely would have to relocate the spare tire if not just remove it. With that said for a tank at double the capacity I think that should be more than enough to do the job as others have mentioned you still need to stop for a bathroom break from time to time or perhaps get lunch or dinner.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

1594308864230.png
The funny thing is in Australia that is part of the space they use to get a bigger capacity. How far they go I have no idea but when you look up the Australian models that is what they do.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired

It was a factory option. The early Rangers with duel tanks came with a heavier duty C5 transmission versus the standard C3 transmission.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I remember a lot of trucks and some vans having 2 tanks from the Factory. I want to say it was towards the late 90's they started to phase it out all together. Now it doesn't stop other countries from doing it as either a factory or aftermarket option but to do that you most likely would have to relocate the spare tire if not just remove it. With that said for a tank at double the capacity I think that should be more than enough to do the job as others have mentioned you still need to stop for a bathroom break from time to time or perhaps get lunch or dinner.
Our van had dual tanks, the second tank was prone to rust. It was nice on long trips, you can pretty much pee anywhere, but through a lot of central NY you’d go a long way between gas stations.

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2013 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
North American Distributor of Steel Fuel Tanks and Rear Bumper Systems from Australia
If you have the factory skid plates then you would most likely loose the fuel tank skid plate. Other than that you should be fine. If it is aftermarket skid plates then I honestly don't know.
Chris -
Thanks for the interest and support. And for the opportunity to join the community. As general manager of the firm that serves as distributor/developer of the tank, I will make a couple of comments for group info and clarification - not intended as a sales pitch. We will not sell or promote on the form (at least without paying up) so this is a one-time info post. That said, I am also looking at a Ranger purchase as shop/weekend truck.

We have been watching development of the "new" Ranger market in US and looking for an opportunity to transition the kit for Australian Rangers (diesel only) to petrol use with the 2.3 motor. With your help, we plan to do just that. With enough interest we think we can have these in production later this year if all goes well.

What got us off the dime were a set of circumstances:
  1. We started getting calls from guys looking for Ranger tanks.
  2. Many are starting to "build" their rigs with armor, winches, racks, big tires, lifts and gears - all of which can contribute to heavier weight and/or reduced fuel efficiency, reduced range from the stock tank.
  3. Ford's announcement of the dealer performance upgrade. More power means lower MPG and reduced range.....but more "smiles per gallon."
That's it for now. Again, thanks for interest and support.

Ward Harris
Long Range America, LLC
Eagle, Idaho

Here is the Aussie diesel tank at 140 litre capacity. US kit likely to be 35 gallons, +/-

1594310163206.png

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm definitely interested. If the price is right.

Otherwise I'll just pull over and pour.... :giggle:

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
a little profit humor here, Just use one tank.
Ford could do what Jeep did for the Wrangler YJ starting in 1991 I believe. Instead of offering a physical 15 gallon standard tank and a 20 gallon optional tank, they just installed the 20 gallon tanks in all the YJ's. To make a 15 gallon tank out of a 20 gallon tank, they just used a longer vent hose. Great idea, have the customer pay more for less actual product (shorter hose that is).