First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Union Millwright (Retired)
Something I have noticed a while back is when towing a vehicle with a tow dolly usually isn't too bad. I remember when I towed my 280ZX with my Frontier and fuel mileage was still fairly close to normal. Not something I'll understand but it is what it is.
Mostly freeway & Ohio Turnpike while towing @ 62 MPH. Not towing on return home took 2 lane highways and Rt 90 @ 55 to 70 MPH. Computer says 22.2 MPG after driving 27k miles the last year and a half. I'm happy with that.
Sponsored

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Something I have noticed a while back is when towing a vehicle with a tow dolly usually isn't too bad. I remember when I towed my 280ZX with my Frontier and fuel mileage was still fairly close to normal. Not something I'll understand but it is what it is.
I definitely saw a hit when I pulled, but I also had quite a few hills to tackle.. Went down from a typical 24mpg on the highway to ~16mpg with a car trailer totalling about 6k. Granted a full trailer and not a dolly.

IMG_20200118_163840.jpg

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
interested. But can't be some cheap junk and would want to retain function of gauge and plug and play simplicity.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
interested. But can't be some cheap junk and would want to retain function of gauge and plug and play simplicity.
That is the general plan all together. Thankfully Fords FDRS scan tool has a setting for the 140L tank capacity for the gauge. Also if you have ForScan then you are in good hands as you can set the tank size in that as well.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Everyone take a second to reach out to Titan fuel tanks. I messaged them and sent them a link to this thread... sub $1000 for a made in USA 36 gallon tank on 2015-2020 Colorados and canyons.
Made from Polymer.

http://titanfueltanks.com/7012316

I emailed them, i got this response back.

"Unfortunately with a gas powered truck it is very limited. The EPA/government has regulations which make it virtually impossible to do replacement or auxiliary tanks for gasoline. The gasoline tank is considered to be part of the EVAP system which is illegal to alter or tamper with in any way. What they do allow are transfer tanks between 10 and 15 gallons like our SideKick tank. Here is a link to it http://titanfueltanks.com/products/sidekick-tank/titan-sidekick-15-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015 "

bummer

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I emailed them, i got this response back.

"Unfortunately with a gas powered truck it is very limited. The EPA/government has regulations which make it virtually impossible to do replacement or auxiliary tanks for gasoline. The gasoline tank is considered to be part of the EVAP system which is illegal to alter or tamper with in any way. What they do allow are transfer tanks between 10 and 15 gallons like our SideKick tank. Here is a link to it http://titanfueltanks.com/products/sidekick-tank/titan-sidekick-15-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015 "

bummer
In all honesty I can't argue that it is part of the EVAP emission system but in reality you're not exactly tempering with it when you put a replacement tank in. In Siri how an EVAP system is supposed to work is very simple. Well if vehicle is sitting whether it is running or not regardless how cold it is or isn't outside fuel is evaporating in the fuel tank. All about evaporated fuel go straight to the evap canister and is stored for however long it is necessary. While the vehicle is running it will open up a simple valve just to let all those fuel Vapors go straight to the engine so it isn't wasted. With that being said having a bigger fuel tank won't really affect that any especially since look at a Ford F-150 with the small tank in the big tank and the evap canister is still the same size. Basically it sounds like some companies don't want to bother with certain vehicles

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
so, you import one....are you subject to fines for altering the evap system?

that is of course if you get caught
well I would imagine the imported tanks for the diesel rangers will not be a direct fit, with the fill spout and pump/hoses/evap fittings, etc... So you'll probably have to do a bit of custom work.

As for getting caught/fined, that will probably depend entirely on your location. My bigger concern would be Ford having issues with your warranty for 'tampering with the emissions system'.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In all honesty I can't argue that it is part of the EVAP emission system but in reality you're not exactly tempering with it when you put a replacement tank in. In Siri how an EVAP system is supposed to work is very simple. Well if vehicle is sitting whether it is running or not regardless how cold it is or isn't outside fuel is evaporating in the fuel tank. All about evaporated fuel go straight to the evap canister and is stored for however long it is necessary. While the vehicle is running it will open up a simple valve just to let all those fuel Vapors go straight to the engine so it isn't wasted. With that being said having a bigger fuel tank won't really affect that any especially since look at a Ford F-150 with the small tank in the big tank and the evap canister is still the same size. Basically it sounds like some companies don't want to bother with certain vehicles

I would imagine the likely issue is that the tank probably has to be EPA certified, which probably cost a shit ton of money.... and probably makes it unrealistic for any aftermarket company to produce/sell them legally.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would imagine the likely issue is that the tank probably has to be EPA certified, which probably cost a shit ton of money.... and probably makes it unrealistic for any aftermarket company to produce/sell them legally.
Yeah and the funny thing is if you look at Titan and other companies in the US they are still making and selling replacement fuel taks for gas trucks. To put simple they don't want to bother with the Ranger as they think it wont be worth it.
Also the nice thing about our trucks compared to the ones I Australia is they are the exact same truck with the exception of the powertrain so with the exception of evap fittings and fuel lines it is a close fit. Thankfully LongRange Automotive is willing to take the challenge and make a tank for the Rangers in the US. Also something to remember is the Australians love the Ranger so much that we have a fair bit of aftermarket options from Australia for these. I cant speak for anyone else on thus but I like the idea that another country is making options for us.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah and the funny thing is if you look at Titan and other companies in the US they are still making and selling replacement fuel taks for gas trucks. To put simple they don't want to bother with the Ranger as they think it wont be worth it.
well all the replacement tanks I see listed on Titan's website are for diesel trucks.

But anyway, that's great that Long Range is willing to work around everything. I really hope they can get a product to us that will work for a wide range of customers.

ChiliTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Yeh I messaged Titan weeks ago and got nothing back. If we don't get a replacement option, I was thinking to use the Titan in-bed transfer tank and loop a hose from under it, through the bed, along under it up to the stock gas tank and tap it into the stock tank so it can gravity feed in. Would prefer not to HAVE to do this though haha.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeh I messaged Titan weeks ago and got nothing back. If we don't get a replacement option, I was thinking to use the Titan in-bed transfer tank and loop a hose from under it, through the bed, along under it up to the stock gas tank and tap it into the stock tank so it can gravity feed in. Would prefer not to HAVE to do this though haha.
Yikes! Just in case you're serious, I suggest you don't really do that. Any leak as in a wreck and you'll be dumping gasoline everywhere. Any DOT authorized in bed type auxiliary fuel tank has to have its own fuel pump feed and return system. I had one in a diesel truck and there was just a toggle switch on the dash to switch tanks.

ChiliTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Yikes! Just in case you're serious, I suggest you don't really do that. Any leak as in a wreck and you'll be dumping gasoline everywhere. Any DOT authorized in bed type auxiliary fuel tank has to have its own fuel pump feed and return system. I had one in a diesel truck and there was just a toggle switch on the dash to switch tanks.
With the same EPA issues as well. You can buy fuel rated bulkhead connectors and lines. If you are getting in a wreck that would sent a fuel tank flying, then you'd be sending any aux tank setup as well. Not like I'm gonna run some garden hose and duct tape ?
Sponsored